Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rennfl

Watering needs?

rennfl
11 years ago

I received some cuttings about a week ago, and it is time to start thinking about what I going to put them in when the roots are extensive enough.

Most of them are pretty easy to figure out, but these ones I could use a little advice on.

What are the watering needs? Always moist, moist but let dry slightly in between waterings or really make sure it dries in between waterings?

coriacea

fitchii

ilagiorum

benguetensis

TIA

Renee

Comments (15)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I grow fitchii and benguetensis allowing them dry out fairly well between watering (no differently than the majority group) and they grow and thrive - no blooms yet.

I'll be interested in what people say about the ilagiorum. Mine is still in semi-hydro where I rooted it because I'm afraid to move it until it has more than one leaf.

• goddess9
    11 years ago

For fitchii, I really don't pay much attention to it. It grows pretty fast outside and I water maybe once or twice a week because it's in the 90s here. I would say it can do the on the drier side then rewater thing. It hasn't had a hissy about any watering schedule for me...yet. :)

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks GG, see I'm glad I asked because looking at the fitchii, I would have guessed it liked to be moist all the time.

I'm pretty excited about this last group I got. Out of the 10 I ordered and received last Friday, 6 have already started rooting.

Renee

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Yeah fitchii does look that way, but everyone says it likes to dry out. And goddess is right; it tolerates going completely dry. It's one of those decepticon Hoyas, like cumingiana. :P

Hoyor says benguetensis likes slightly more water, but I haven't noticed this myself.

Congratulations on the strong rooting you're seeing. That's pretty darn good now that we've passed summer solstice. ;)

• amber_m
    11 years ago

HAHA! sorry GG, i just laughed so hard when i read 'decepticon hoyas' lol

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Goddess - thanks, I must have missed your note when I wrote last time.

And how about this, the little cutting of fitchii has completely grown a penduncle and is budding. Now I know it probably will drop the buds, but it looks so cute on this tiny cutting.

Renee

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

@ Amber

;) I thought no one would catch that.

@ Renee

That is so cool! I have two fitchiis and neither one has bloomed for me yet.

• emt23
    11 years ago

Hi Renee,
    I was wondering how the ilagiorum is coming along and also your source. Apodagis tells me he does not ship to the US and he has some I really wanted to grow. Fitchii has given me misery fits and has been moved to the "stick" nursery for potential survival.
    TKX for the guidance. ~ Mary

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary - it's doing fine. I've repotted it from the rooting pot to it's grown up pot, and it is busy filling the pot with roots, and growing.

Fitchii also is busy filling the pot with roots, not much growth on that one though. The buds did drop as expected.

I got both of them from the gentleman in Hawaii.

Renee

Renee

• ohmybloomers
    11 years ago

Can you share your Hawaiian source for the ilagiorum? If not on the forum, can you send me a message? I really want this one! Thanks!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I was experimenting with my camera and ilagiorum attracted my eye. So, I thought I'd stick the photo in this thread. Its new leaves are the most beautiful shade of chocolate silk, with pink veins.

• emt23
    11 years ago

Oh boy! That is nice GG! ~ Mary

• kathybennie
    11 years ago

would love to get this plant someday!

GG: Gorgeous colors...I love chocolate, especially on a cold winter day. Thank you for sharing.

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

GG,

Why you said that "It's one of those decepticon Hoyas" about hoya fitchii???

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful leaf GG. Does it always show this colour when developing or does it need bright light to do so?

Mike

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor