Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Hoya obscura

bihai
15 years ago

This has turned into a favorite of mine. The actual size of the individual flower is very small...not as small as tsangii but close...but the heads are much fuller and I like the melony color. Very cheerful.

{{gwi:963537}}

Comments (24)

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

Absolutely love that pink!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Your flowers looks dark, must be from getting lots of sun???
    Jan

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Your Obscura blooms are very pretty!

shanna

• bihai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Yes, Jan full sun. Almost all of my hoyas get full sun or at least 80% sun.

• Denise
    15 years ago

Does your obscura get the bronze colors with sun? My first one really colored up beautifully. I lost that one, got another and this one doesn't take on the colors the first one did. Must be the difference between clones.

Denise in Omaha

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Bihai,
    I love the peachy-pink color. Is it growing in your greenhouse, or is it outside? I've been afraid to put my hoya out from under the roof of patio. I've put out crasipes and caudata because someone said they could take sun. They are in the screen enclosure on the side of the pool. So far they are looking OK. Maybe I should put some more out and see how they do. What do you folks think?

• Mentha
    15 years ago

Ooooo, love the peachy bloom. Another to add to my wish list.

• bihai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This one grows in my greenhouse, right up against the wall in front where the sun comes in longest and stringest. It has never colored up bronze before, I kinda wish it would, I like colored leaves. The light has to diffuse through the greenhouse glazing, which used to be clear as glass, but which has grown more cloudy with time and dirt, LOL. I pressure wash twice a season and its clear as glass again for a while, but it gets dirty again pretty quick mainly from water hitting it (our water has a high mineral content), fertilizer hittin git, etc.

You have Hoya caudata, ima digger? That has been on my wish list for a while. Are the leaves really as pretty as some pictures I have seen?

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Yes, I have a small caudata. It is a cutting I purchased from Smolley back in November. It is in the sun and the new leaf is sort of a rusty brown color. The rest of the leaves are getting darker from the sun. You can see the tiny new leaf at top of picture.
    {{gwi:963539}}
    Here is a better picture of the new leaf.
    {{gwi:963541}}
    I love the look of the leaves. I can be patient and wait for flowers. I bought it for the leaves.

• bihai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooh! Ahhh! I love that one. I am going to have to be on the lookout for it. Nice photos of that!!

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Ima
    I am in awe looking at your Caudata, it is stunning. Is your caudata kept outside? Caudata is at the top of my favorite hoya list.

shanna

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Shanna, it's outside inside the screen enclosure in full sun. I read somewhere that it could take the sun, so I tried it. I love the way the new leaves are turning a rusty color. The older leaves are just getting darker.

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Ima
    You have a beauty, keep doing what your doing!!

shanna

• bihai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know Asiatica had Caudata for about $17. I am still hoping to get one locally. It is one of the prettiest by far.

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

I have two hoyas obscura, one has green leaves and the other one that nice purple leaves.

Is the difference regarding the colour of the flowers or it is related to the sun exposition????

Thanks

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Exposition or exposure - LOL

Sorry for my mistakes!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

There could be more than one species involved here and flowers would help decide that. My Hoya obscura develops coloured leaves in the sun while a similar looking plant I received called Hoya coloura is slightly more robust and its leaves do not colour in the sun. There are definitely different forms of Hoya obscura, some with small thick leaves and then the more common one we see. Hoya obscura longipedunculata is another form with a very long flower peduncle.

It would be interesting for everyone to post photos of their Hoya obscura plants, leaves and blooms so we can compare.

Mike

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Mike,

Thank you for your help.
    Pictures would be very interesting to comparison.
    I've being noting that some hoyas are very similar, maybe the same hoyas with different names. Sometimes it is confusing for people like me that does not have the knowlegment to determine the differences between each one.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

There are many Hoyas that are often found with the same name and while some are different if you know where to look there are others that are not. In time we will see more plants given new species status while others may be lumped into a complex or group, this is all up to taxonomists to figure out and can get a little confusing at times. You do have to be careful when ordering plants because species like acuta, verticillata and parasitica will all look very similar but have slightly different leaf sizes and flower colours. It's pretty hard not to get duplicate plants especially if you order unidentified species.

Mike

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Mike,

I would love to have 5% of your knowlegement about hoyas......

You're my hero!!!!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Just lots of time spent reading. I get the international Hoya Association journal and the International Asclepiad Society's magazine Asklepios which are the two publications that are most likely to contain newly published Hoya species or general info and research on Hoyas. I had tried to get my friends to pick me up a copy of the plants of the Philippines while they were there but the three volumes cost $400 US so they got me a beautiful tribal knife from Southern Palawan instead.

Mike

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

LOL, Mike! My friends probably would have gotten me a commemorative key chain on their way through the airport!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Kelly I have a collection of tribal art from South American and Borneo as well as a collection of tattoo blocks and large brass ear weights from Borneo. I have these things displayed in my living room and the smaller pieces in a display table. I guess my friends just know my taste but I have to say I love the gift they got me. Hopefully next time I will be saving my pennies and we will be making the trek to the Philippines together.

Mike

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Mike,

I try to read as much as I can get in portuguese, but there is no enough literature about hoyas in my language, English is not so easy to me, and google translator is terrible. I reached this forum looking for info about hoyas, but I have to confess that I don't understand everything written here I miss a lot of words but I understandy the context. Well the most important thing is that I don't give up, and even with my millions mistakes on English I still asking and searching.....

Mitzi

Sponsored