Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

My Hoya caudata

puglvr1
12 years ago

After seeing Mike's beautiful picture of Hoya caudata blooms, I've been waiting (impatiently) for mine to bloom. Finally...today it opened! I'm very excited!

Not the easiest to photograph because the bloom hangs down...Here's a few pictures. Thanks for looking!

Comments (32)

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Oh how pretty. I love the leaves on it. Mine gets very brown rusty colored if it gets too much sun. My caudata is three years old and hasn't grown much. It has never put out a peduncle. I think I'm going to unpot it and check roots. I think it should be doing something else instead of just sitting there. I get anxious to see flowers. Do you keep yours on the dry side?

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

Very pretty! Do they have any fragrance? I have a tiny cutting of this one, and I just love the leaves! It is getting roots, albeit tiny ones(compared to my diversifolia, that has filled a 3 inch pot in the same amount of time and already had to be transplanted into a bigger pot!). Is this one a hard one to start from a cutting?

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Very Nice Pug... I love the foliage!

• jakalfoshakal
    12 years ago

pug i love them!! they remind me of little old men with scragly beards LOL. Those leaves!!!!!!!!!! I thought i was done ordering babies this year but you just sparked my interest in caudata all over again. Thanks for the beautiful pics!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Congrats on the blooms Pug and I know how hard this one can be to grow and bloom. The leaves are really stunning but I have to admit that my plant is quite stingy with new leaves, maybe I am still figuring it out.
    Around this time of year my plant usually puts out some new growth and a peduncle but nothing yet. The old peduncles always seem to fall off after a while to. I always mean to get a good photo of the buds because they have such an interesting shape.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh, what great timing, Pug! Exactly as this particular caudata was on the tips of all of our tongues. I think you took some amazing pictures there - I always really like the shots of the whole peduncle, like in your last photo. This flower is just so ethereal juxtaposed against such tough gritty leaves.

Thanks for being a source of inspiration for the rest of us. When I look at my plant, it's super hard to imagine it ever growing a new leaf, let alone a peduncle.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Nice and frilly fledgling flowers!

Josh

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Congratulation pug on growing and getting this one to flower.I must really be doing something wrong with mine.I have had mine for 3 years and it has just sat there with her two leaves doing not a thing.Some times it looks like it might start to grow but then it doesn't.I was thinking of trying to get another cutting and then maybe this one will get its act together.

Cindy

• rennfl
    12 years ago

I just love this one. Leaves are stunning, and the flowers so wonderfully different.

Renee

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!! Appreciate it.

This is definitely a very sloooow grower...There's been months and months without this hoya doing anything and then out of the blue I would get a nice growth spurt and get 3 or 4 leaves! Unfortunately, it doesn't happen often.

I detected NO scent at all :o(

Mike, I took a few pictures of the buds before they opened, but I'm having issues with my pictures right now. As soon as I get it figured out I will post a couple of them.

• suetran1
    12 years ago

Soooo cute!
    Good shot too, I can't wait mine to bloom.
    Thanks Pug

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Great photo Pug and congrats on the flowers!!!!

For a few years my caudata seemed to be a moderately fast grower and even bloomed several times. Then for some reason it began to decline and i've had to restart it so now i'm almost back to nothing!

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Pug! That is FANTASTIC! Another to add to my resurrected list of must haves. ;)

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Argh! I KNEW I should have gotten caudata. I love those blooms. Do you find it challenging to grow? That is the one thing holding me back...

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

There's a yellow flowering clone of this that i'm dying to get my greedy little hands on but getting the people who have it to part with it is like getting water from the moon.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank You!!
    David, I totally understand what you're saying...I agree that this one is not one of the easiest hoyas to get right. I put this hoya in the same category as my Sigillatis...in the challenging but not impossible to grow category. Its one of those hoyas that I'm NEVER going to feel comfortable to let it do its own thing...its the type that can become problematic quickly with little warning. I've had issues with this once or twice but I've been lucky it wasn't serious. Its one of those that I would consider "fussy". Who knows when I might be dealing with something that David just went through,lol...Good luck with yours David!
    Quinn, I think its definitely "worth" trying at least once or twice IMHO. I really do love the leaves if for nothing else.
    Wow David...I would love to see the Yellow bloom variety of Caudata. Please update with any info, good luck getting this one, and let us know "if" you "get water from the moon" as well,lol...

Found the pictures of the buds before they opened.

Very sharp pointy tips...

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

I went to repot my caudata late this afternoon and I see it is finally starting to put out new growth at the bottom of the plant. It only has two leaves left on it. Lost all the larger leaves this past winter. I thought I had lost the whole plant. I'm glad it is starting to grow. Maybe it will send out a peduncle too!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Ima_digger...Happy to hear your caudata is putting on some new growth, maybe now that you've repotted it, it will kick into high gear.Good luck!

Mike, my blooms are still hanging on...3 days so far. I remember your post that your caudata blooms only lasted a day, so I'm happy mine decided to hang around a little longer :o)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Thanks for the bud photos. I always find that the blooms on my plant are only open for a day so they can be hard to photograph while they are in good condition. I wonder why my plant is so reluctant to hold onto the blooms longer?

Mike

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike...Day 4 and its still hanging on, although it does look like its on its way out :o(

I'm sure the next time yours bloom it will last longer.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

You know my plant has flowered at least three or four times and I think the longest that the blooms have hung in there was two days. I found that the blooms would open at the worst times for photos and by the time I could get to them during daylight hours the blooms were past their prime.
    I am going to have to keep a record next blooming so I can see just how long the flowers last. Feeling a little ripped off I am. LOL

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/David

Your description of people hanging onto their yellow caudatas like they are the elixr for eternal youth cracks me up. Maybe by the time I've managed to bloom at least one of my caudatas, yellow caudata will be available for the low low price of my firstborn.

/Pug & Mike

So glad you goaded Pug into sharing her rare bud photos, Mike. Those definitely are neat looking. Not what I expected at all.

Pug, I think the label "challenging but not impossible to grow" is the perfect way to describe a whole subset of Hoyas. We should just go ahead and turn it into an acronym. (e.g. "Hoya patella is classified as CBNI.")

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks GG, they do have a pretty unique buds with the pointy
    "thingy" on the tips,lol...Definitely my first pointy buds.

CBNI...I absolutely love that acronym you gave it!

I would have to say I have several 'CBNI' growing in my own collection...Sigillatis, Caudata, Patella, Waymaniae, Darwinii, Variegated Bella(now dead) and Serpens(hanging on) and a few others I'm sure I've forgotten.

Of course everyone's list will differ from each other as there are SO many factors involved in our growing conditions,care and climate.

• threas
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Pug! Congrats! I really gotta take better care of my hoyas... Anyone can clue me in on care?

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I'm going to get one of those!

TPie

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Threasa and Tammy! The leaves on Caudata alone are worth getting...of course the blooms are always a bonus.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I think my CBNI list is sigillatis, caudata, patella, paulshirleyii, waymaniae, deykeae. There are also a number that are CBNI for the first couple years and then seem to stop being so once they are established.

When I moved my variegated bella under artificial light and in moist coir, it started behaving, but I agree this one is kind of... withholding? Ironically, I did the same thing with serpens and it apparently preferred a higher peat ratio and natural light, so I'm going to go back to what I was doing before. There's a reason they say: If it ain't broke...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike! You mentioned above..."The old peduncles always seem to fall off after a while to."color>

I wanted to let you know I just noticed this morning my old peduncle is doing what yours did...its drying up and looks like its about to fall off any time. I guess this must be the norm for Caudata peduncles? Just thought I would let you know.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Thanks for letting me know that because I had thought I was letting my plant dry too much or something. I tend to grow this one a little dry at times because it's very rootbound and in bark so I have to watch it closely.

Mike

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Mine Caudata just got here, I can't wait for her to bloom!

• tammypie
    12 years ago

OK, I've been reading these messages again on H. Caudata and I just had to have one too!

Would my new caudata enjoy living in a bathroom window upstairs with an East-facing window? The bathroom has a shower but we don't use that shower every day (we have another bathroom w/shower down the hall that we use) so it wouldn't get too much humidity. How big should the pot be to put a small cutting in?

TPie

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Congrats on your new caudata Tammy! When I first got my two leaf unrooted cutting I placed in a 2" or 3" pot to root. It stayed in this pot for quite a while...probably a little over a year. Once the roots filled out the pot and I saw some new leaves I repotted it to a 4" pot.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks