Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Mindorensis and Verticillata

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

While checking my plants yesterday, I noticed buds on my mindorensis and verticillata cuttings!! They're in very small pots, and I've been giving all my plants bright shade and tomato fertilizer and even rainwater (when we've had rain, it is HOT here in PA!). Sounds like I'm getting the hang of hoya growing!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (8)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Brad I think the biggest thing with Hoyas is that it takes time for the plants to mature enough to bloom. Figuring out the watering, fertilizing and light levels will get the plants to the blooming stage just that much sooner.
    You really did luck out with those cuttings you got if they are already trying to bloom.

You know now that your plants are starting to bloom for you that you will want more. Are you completely out of space for plants to over winter inside?

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, I do have their winter setup all figured out. I have plant stands and wall hooks for them. These ones I just got will set in an unused bathtub which will get light from a skylight plus a small western window.

I know I do want some more hoyas! My latest infatuations are pubicalyx White Dragon and Black Dragon and variegated macrophylla. So many hoyas, so little space.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Tell me about it. LOL
    I am up to 114 species and I still find myself looking at Hoya price lists. I have been thinking of Hoya sp Kunming Kina every since I saw a friends plant, can't seem to find one at any of the usual places I order from.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Congrats Brad! Hope they bloom for you!

Mike, here's a listing for one on ebay...but not sure if he can ship to Canada? You can always try emailing and ask?

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kunming Kina

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Mike, do you order from Ted Green? He has it listed as H. revolubilis

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Kunming Kina

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Brad sorry for the hijacked thread. It sounds like you have a great spot for your plants this winter. I think that the sky light will help especially if you can hang some plants under it to take advantage of as much good light as possible. Is the skylight right over the bath tub? I have plants in the bathroom to. I winter my cacti and South African bulbs in an extra bathroom where I can keep them dark and cold all winter.

Pug thanks for the link! :)

Carolyn I have only ordered from Mr. Green once, a group order this spring. Most of the cuttings did not make the trip so not sure if there will be another order.

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Pug! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Mike, that's okay! Yep, the skylight's over the bathtub. The bathtub isn't the only place I'll have plants. I'll have a few in my bedroom where the window faces east and the hobby room, where they'll get a southern exposure (these two rooms have hooks and/or stands to put plants on). My crown of thorns and snake plant stay indoors in the living room.

So far, I've decided diversifolia and pub. RHP are going into the tub since they're on tomato cages. The rest I'm figuring out to my liking.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today, I found a budding peduncle on my limoniaca cuttings! Just when I thought I was going to have to wait awhile for blooms, they surprise me!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored