Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this H. fungii?

Posted by ima_digger 9 SE FL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 9:29

I got a cutting a few years back and it has grown quite a bit. It was supposed to be fungii. After looking at pictures of other fungii, I'm not so sure. This picture is from last year. If it gets too much sun the leaves get light in color. I've moved it to a different location and the leaves are changing in color, getting darker.

Here's the peduncle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this H. fungii?

Hi, ima! It looks like a carnosa to me, but I'm not really an expert, so you may want to wait for some others to chime in on this one.

o

Its beautiful Ima! I agree with KC. It looks like a Carnosa to me also! At least that's my guess...

o

I agree because the darker contrasting veins are abscent from your plants leaves. Your plant looks so nice and healthy but does this mean you now have more than one carnosa now that it has been identified as something other than the name it came with?

Mike

o

I think what you have there is an obovata x. carnosa. Here's mine...

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

It's a great grower and faithful bloomer.

Denise in Omaha

o

Denise, the leaves on my plant resemble yours. I really didn't think it was fungii, but didn't think it was carnosa because of the rounded leaves. Leaves are quite large. The flowers look like carnosa flowers though. Oh well! Whatever it is, I love it. It blooms every year at this time and flowers last quite long, almost a full week or more.

o

There are several different forms of Hoya carnosa and some do have these more rounded leaves. The variety shown in the link is a good example of a large round leafed carnosa variety that was once called Hoya freaklea.
If you look at Hoya obovata's flowers they are reflexed back and obovata's hybrid also has these reflexed flowers. The plant in question has essentially flat flowers so it is unlikely that it is the carnosa x obovata hybrid.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya carnosa

o

Thanks for the link, Mike. My leaves are more rounded and don't really have any speckles on them. A few years back, when I posted a picture on either DG or Epiforums, someone said it was carnosa 'Vietnam'. I'm not sure about that either.

o

Hoya carnosa is the same species whether it comes from China or Vietnam so the collection site is not really important, plants don't care about political boundaries, only geographical barriers like mountain ranges etc. Hoya carnosa Vietnam has characteristics unlike your plant such as dark contrasting leaf veins and different leaf shape and dimensions.
Many of the species in section Hoya come from this area including Hoya carnosa, dasyantha, fungii, sp Kunming Kina and Hoya villosa. Both Hoya dasyantha and fungii have dark contrasting veins on the leaves which your plant does not have. To get a better understanding you should measure the leaves as well and compare that to the description of each species.

The Hoya freaklea link was really just to illustrate the differences between different forms of Hoya carnosa and that the plants don't all need to fit neatly into what we usually think of as Hoya carnosa. If you copy and paste the link below you can see at the bottom the range of Hoya carnosa and that there are multiple varieties with quite varied leaves. Also look at the range of leaf size, 3.5cm to 13cm long and 3cm to 5cm wide.

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=610&taxon_id=200018633

Here is the description of Hoya dasyantha, notice it says the veins are slightly raised.

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=601&taxon_id=200018634

The very bottom link is for Hoya fungii's description on The Flora of China.

I think the only way to get a concrete ID would be to take very good photos and measurements and send those to someone like Christine Burton to review.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya fungii in Flora of China

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here