Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

Hoya micrantha vs. revoluta

Denise
13 years ago

As part of my Liddle order, I got cuttings of revoluta. I've had what I thought was micrantha for awhile - got it as cuttings from the local university, but the GH manager wasn't sure what species it was, so my conclusion came through research. Well, the revoluta I got from Iris Marie looks so similar to the supposed micrantha, I wonder if my old plant might, too, be revoluta. Does anyone here grow both and, if so, what are the difference in the leaves? It's so hard to find a description that includes size, and from photos, you can't make any assumptions.

Denise in Omaha

Comments (8)

• PRO
    SRQHoyas
    13 years ago

Hi Denise,
    I grow both and the leaves look very similar to me. I've yet to see each of them bloom but I will be sure to document and let you know when they do! I also have a NOID that I thought was H. revoluta since the blooms were similar to other photos but not sure since they are more tan than red? IDing is so fun...isn't it? :0)

Joni

• mayyan
    13 years ago

Hi Denise,

Take a look in the added link for flower difference.

mayyan

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

The plants are apparently very similar but those flower comparison photos certainly show the differences. I have seen some photos of Hoya revoluta or perhaps aff. revoluta that shows a leaf which has a slightly raised margin on the upper surface but I don't think that trait is commonly seen in this species.

My Hoya micrantha has interesting black spotting on the under side of it's leaves, does anyone else notice this with their plants? The spotting is not a disease, personally I find it very interesting because this is the first Hoya I have grown that shows this type of spotting.

Denise the average leaf on my plant is 3" long and 1" wide. The leaves are very stiff and there is some whitish flecking on the leaf surface which is a dark green.

Mike

• Denise
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, looks like I won't know what I have until I get blooms. At least the one I've had awhile is growing well and should bloom for me soon...

Mike, I don't have the issue of spots under the leaves of micrantha, but I do see that with other Hoyas from time to time. It doesn't seem to impede their growth at all, so I, too, belive it's not a disease or pest. One that comes to mind off the top of my head is mitrata. The undersides of the leaves are splotched with black spots. The leaf tops look perfectly healthy. I wonder what causes it?

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Denise I think it's just a natural kind of marking just like the flecks on the surface of many species. I find this plant to be very robust or otherwise I would be suspicious of disease. I took a look at my Hoya mitrata but no spots on that one. I like the look of the spots though because this is the only Hoya I have so far with markings on the underside of the leaf other than a few with dark veining.

Mike

• PRO
    SRQHoyas
    13 years ago

I checked on micrantha's leaves while watering the crop this am...yep...tiny black spots on the underside of the leaves like yours Mike. But guess what?...H revoluta has them too!?

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

That's interesting Joni, guess it just goes to show that there is no way of telling those two species apart unless flowers are present. Glad to hear it's not just my plant with the spotting although I have spoken to other growers who have plants labeled as Hoya micrantha which have no spots.

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

My micrantha and aff micrantha both do not have the black dots.I kind of like the look of those black dots.The leaves on my micrantha are very think and dagger like.

Cindy

Sponsored