Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

hoya?

sorie6 zone 6b
12 years ago

could someone tell me what kind of hoya this is and why it won't bloom? I haven't given it much attention except to water. I did fertlize it this spring with MG. It is really big and grows great. thanks

Comments (5)

• User
    12 years ago

Hard to say what kind of Hoya w/out seeing the rest of the plant, like the how the leaves grow on the stem.

Not blooming can be for various reasons, including as simple as the plant may not be mature enough to bloom yet.

Are these 2 different plants? Seems I see 2 different types of leaves here, the large, speckled leaves & the smaller leaves of which I can only see the backs.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I would say that you have a Hoya carnosa and although it is very healthy the leaf colour shows that it has been grown in low light conditions. You mentioned that you moved your plant to a brighter spot, can you describe the exposure and how far the plant is from the window?
    Hoya carnosa likes it fairly bright to bloom well and a medium green leaf colour is a good indication of proper light levels. I used to have my plant in an unshaded south window where it bloomed well but during the summer some leaves would burn or turn very light green. I think an East window or a shaded South window would be best if you want to keep your plant looking it's best but most importantly you should get blooms with the higher light.

Mike

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is only one plant in the pot.
    I moved it to the east by a sliding glass door and it looks better already. Maybe it will bloom in the spring.
    the plant is at least 25yr. old! Given to me by a friend and I don't know how long she had had it.
    Thanks for your advice.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

That's good to hear that you see an improvement already. This Hoya is such a nice foliage plant that you can excuse the lack of blooms but if you have the window space and the extra light then all the better.
    Let us know if you see bloom peduncles form or flower buds.

Mike

• Denise
    12 years ago

I would agree - it's a nicely speckeled clone of carnosa. You might try using a bloom booster fertilizer about half strength a few times. But more light will definitely help kick it into bloom mode. I grow my carnosa in a north window and it's lovely, but doesn't bloom either. This spring, I put a rooted cutting of fungii next to it in the same window and it has already formed a peduncle. Whether it will bloom or not, who knows...

It's a pretty plant to be proud of whether it blooms or not, but I hope you can enjoy blooms soon!

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored