Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

Strange 'pink' leaf

maidinmontana
14 years ago

Hi, I got this Carnosa as a cutting from a friends plant. It has grown very well for me and I recently put it on a trellis, I am so glad I did, now I can see more of the characteristics of this plant. This morning I went to turn the pot so the other side could get more light and I noticed this "pink" leaf. Also, if you look at the 2nd pic the leaves directly under the pink one have very distinct white edges. The rest of the leaves on the same stem (further up) don't have the white edging. Is it possible that I have two different kind of hoyas? I did take more than one cutting. Is this possible or am I reading more into this picture than there really is?

Here's the pics. . .

{{gwi:964591}}

{{gwi:964592}}

Comments (11)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

No Clue, lol!! But it sure does appear like you have several different leaf sizes/shapes and colors on that plant! I will let the more experienced Hoya members comment. Nice healthy hoya, what ever different varieties or not you have there!

I did want to say I do occasionally get the pink leaves on my Carnosa Krimson Princess and K. Queen...for what its worth!

• shanna5
    14 years ago

The pink is new growth it will eventually turn white. Just a few days ago I noticed mine had a lot of the pink (new) growth, very nice touch to the veriegated hoya.

shanna

• wrynsmom
    14 years ago

Looks to me like you have H. carnosa 'Krimson Queen' trying to revert back to green. And the pink is just the new growth. Very nice plant.

Carolyn

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it's no wonder if there are two different plants in here, I looked at the plant(s) i took the cuttings from today, it's at a house I clean on Thursdays, those poor Hoyas. They are so pale, so withered, so straggly and dropping leaves like crazy, but bless the little hearts, they are blooming like no other. But I did get a close look at them and the one does/did have white edged leaves. It's just hard to tell due to the distress they are in. When she comes to my house to pay me she can't shut up at how pretty mine are, she still can't believe they came from her plant(s). So heres some more ???"s. . .

#1) if it is two different species, what should I do? The roots are all entwined, it could be harmful if I tried to seperate them.

#2) Are the flowers the same on both species? I ask this cuz hers are in bloom now and the flowers look a lot alike, no difference at all.

Geez, leave it to me to get a mess like this going. I'm uneducated as it is and now I have really confused the issue even more.

• Denise
    14 years ago

Debi,

Looks like you have the old, old clone of carnosa in there and 'Krimson Queen'. I wouldn't bother to seperate them. They'll thrive just fine together and it can be interesting to have two different species growing together. And yes, the flowers will be pretty much identical because 'KQ' is a sport of carnosa.

Denise in Omaha

• therealmrsdoodlepunk
    14 years ago

This is interesting, I just asked on another thread here what my plant is, and it seems to be real similar to this one. Shanna said it looked like Krimson Queen.

Well, I got it from my mother's mother plant. Hers is fairly old, she's had it about 20 years and it used to bloom. However, a couple years ago it got "too big" and she and my father took it down and "gave it a haircut"! I almost cried. It had several spurs on it and used to bloom. It was almost all variegated with the pink leaves and a very pretty plant. I just asked my mother if it still had the white leaves, and she said no, it's all green now. Solid green.

So apparently these do revert back to all green. Maybe your plant is one plant after all. Mine was one cutting and had a clump of the green leaves on it, I just plucked them all off. I hope I didn't do anything wrong!

laura

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Denice, I was hopin you'd jump in on this.

When you say "old, old" does that mean I have a heirloom Hoya?lol. And that would make sense cuz the lady told me she got them from her aunt a long time ago, her aunt is now dead. (too bad she doesn't take better care of them out of respect for her aunt. . . and the "old" plant).

I will leave it as it is, it seems to very happy.

The thing I don't understand is . . . there are three leaves coming out of the stem. . . two white edged ones, one w/white speckles and then the pink one. The stem continues up the trellis and there are no other white edged leaves on the entire plant. Does the change/reverting happen on the same stem?

• treelover3
    14 years ago

If you want to make sure that you don't lose the variegated plant, you will need to watch to make sure the regular H. carnosa does not outgrow the variegated plant. The plain green plant is much more vigorous than the variegated plant.

No reason to separate the plants, just take a cutting of the variegated plant and put it in its own pot and then you don't need to worry about the one in the pot with the all-green carnosa.
    Nice plants, BTW.
    Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Maidin, I love those(KQ) white margin leaves...especially when its more pronounced. I took these cuttings from my Mother plant. I've noticed that my KP is also trying to revert back to green, but I don't see this happening on my K. Queen.

{{gwi:964593}}

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, I did some moving in my PB account, so the original pictures got moved too, I did take a few pics of the entire plant I will post here as well as the ones I posted earlier. For those who haven't seen them.

{{gwi:964594}}

strange pink leaf

and another one of the same leaf
    {{gwi:964596}}

Mike I have looked at the Carnosa trying to find a place I can take a cutting from, there isn't one. My only option is to take a leaf w/out a stem. I could try that but I don't know if it will work. All of the other leaves are right at the soil line with no stem to speak of, and if I take it off of the stem I showed in the pic, it will cut off an entire stem. I'll just have to add it to my list of wants.

• therealmrsdoodlepunk
    14 years ago

I made an error in my post above, I said that Shanna told me my hoya that I posted a pic of on another thread was Krimson Queen, she said it looked like K. PRINCESS. I'm just finding out the difference.

Wow, the hoya world sure is interesting.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery