Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Few July buds and blooms

puglvr1
9 years ago

Hoya caudata...very hard to get a photo.

Comments (25)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more to open...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoya elliptica...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Couple more buds...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoya meliflua

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just received this a few weeks ago...I can't believe it has buds!! Super excited!!

Hoya praetorii

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoya rodundiflora (sp. square)...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Already posted this one on another thread...Hoya archboldiana.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoya patella...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And just for fun...my Listick plant

Thanks for looking!!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgot Darwinii...a very stingy bloomer for me

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Outstanding blooms Pug! I envy that Florida weather for growing Hoyas!

Doug

• rennfl
    9 years ago

Gorgeous Pug!. I love that shot of darwinii.

I hope you don't mind if I add mine to this thread.

Renee

• rennfl
    9 years ago

To keep the July thread together, here are some pictures I took yesterday. All common ones, but I dragged the tripod out, so a little sharper than my normal pics. Also, there is a black snake that is currently fighting me for territory, so some I wasn't able to get as close as I would like. I also included some leaf shots for those that might not be familiar with some of these.

The fitchii flowers were actually closing yesterday.

This next picture, the flowers were closing as well. All the crap is actually sand, after a hard rainstorm, this penduncle is very close to the ground, and sand was knocked up onto the flowers.

But it also had a smaller set just opened.

And the leaves.

Good ole cagayensis, it blooms all summer long,

And I finally managed a picture that shows the shimmer in the leaves.

And one of my favorites.

And to finish up, a picture I've shown before, but I cropped it in. Any guesses on what it is?

Renee

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Doug and Renee!!

Renee, I absolutely don't mind! I'm glad you posted those stunning pictures!! Just gorgeous...Love them all...please post more pics here everyone!! I love seeing all the pictures.

Snakes and I don't get along...I mean them no harm but I do stay away till their gone, you're braver than me,lol...

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Beautiful flowers Renee! I am going to guess that the close-up belongs to Hoya cv. Ruthie - an Eriostemma,

Doug

• rennfl
    9 years ago

Thanks Pug and Doug.

Also, I've got to point out a mis spell. It is Hoya cagayanensis. I know better to double check my spelling. Sorry!

Renee

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Renee, can't even venture a guess on that last one?

Estrella waterfalls opened...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoya bella...

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

@ Pug

Hey now, little lady, you can't go saying that caudata is hard to get a photo of and then post the most beautiful caudata photo ever! I don't think I've ever seen it more elegantly photographed. And to think there are Etsy vendors selling framed photos of carnosa, when people could have this!

My ellipticas are attempting to bloom for the third time this summer... if they blast again I'm going to have to change something... possibly my address.

Estrella buds yay!! My favorite Hoya, too! You will have to tell me whether you, too, think they smell like the sexiest man alive. ;P

Isn't patella the best bloomer? We are BFFs.

And darwinii!! Wow. It looks so ornamental with those long lobes and pointy teeth, and that grown-up wine stain color. Still makes me crave a raspberry popsicle tho.

Love your Aescynanthus, too. :)

@ Renee

I think closing Hoya flowers sometimes make the prettiest pictures, too! Love the way it looks in that dark light. Was it orangey when it was open?

Idk how you make your juanngoiana look so elegant in that photo. I think I'm just not giving mine enough room to grow. It always looks so tough and brutal to me, but yours looks like an art nouveau sculpture.

You sure did get the infamous cagayanensis shimmer there!! Terrific job!!! I wonder if people who haven't see the plant IRL can correctly interpret the shine from a photo, though, or if it's just recognizable once you've already seen it. (Kind of like one of those stereograms). Because it took me a minute to see the shimmer, but now I can't un-see it. I kept staring at it last night and trying to see it through naive eyes again. Anyway, for those who haven't seen the plant in person, I always describe it as the kind of iridescent glitter-shimmer that you see on certain sporty-chic fabrics, like sneakers or reflective vests. Or on an insect's wings.

Honestly, why are so many of our workout clothes shiny? Who made that a thing? Is it just so we feel like these space age fabrics are worth the money?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks GG...very kind of you to say :o). It was difficult to photograph because the blooms are always pointing downwards and I almost have to put it above my head to take a picture...its easier to photograph the back,lol...

You totally piqued my interest about the scent of estrella waterfalls...so I had to go outside and smell it. Though most of the time my hoyas don't have a strong scent maybe due to the fact I grow mine outside and I practically have to shove my nose right up to the blooms, it does smell wonderful :o)...Love your description though, much better than anything I could have come up with!

Though this was a May bloom...thought I would share this picture of pubicalyx 'rhp'...one of the vines growing up one of my Oak trees...

• moonwolf_gw
    9 years ago

Congrats on all the blooms, everyone!

My plants are flowerless and aren't doing very much, but such is the norm of a semi-beginner of Hoya growing. I miss the plants I lost, but oh well. Nikki's not growing at all, yet the plain green carnosa I got at Lowe's last month is actively growing. I haven't fed my plants much this year, so maybe they're due for a dose.

GG, your description of sp. Estrella Waterfalls (LOVE that name and blooms of that Hoya!) cracked me up. Do you mean, by the way you described the fragrance, that they smell like men's cologne?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Yeah, it has a kind of spicy scent with a hint of soft ginger, reminiscent of an expensive aftershave. :)

• rennfl
    9 years ago

Doug - yep it's Ruthie. I took another picture of Ruthie this morning, and the colors are much different than earlier this year. More red, less yellow. I'll try and get them posted this weekend.

GG - I wouldn't call fitchii orangy, it is more of a dusty rose color when open.

Pug - love the picture of publicalyx on the tree. I wanted to put some of mine on trees, but unfortunately the only trees I've got now will be taken down in the next couple of years. So I wait until I get some trees I like. But my trellis plants are really starting to take off. Tannaensis is finally even blooming semi-regularly.

Renee

• rennfl
    9 years ago

And more bloomings.

Hoya 'Ruthie' - if you look at the pictures I posted back in May or June, you can really see how much more red the flowers now contain. From the heat? I find it interesting, because in orchids, the reds really develop in cooler weather, they get washed out in hot weather. 'Ruthie' seems to be the opposite.

And I've mentioned a few times, what a good bloomer Hoya limoniaca is for me. The first picture is about 1/3 of the plant, then a couple close ups.

And Hoya camphorifolia, the flowers are tiny, and only last a day or so, but it's rampant blooming all summer long makes it a worthwhile one for me.

Renee

Sponsored