Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovingmy4babies

Care tips for macgillivrayi?

lovingmy4babies
12 years ago

I have been fortunate enough to get into a trade with a grower from Hawaii, and she is sending me a macgillivrayi for her end of the trade. I've never had one of these before, and I'd like to know what tips you would offer me for growing indoors in Georgia. Thanks!

Deborah

Comments (13)

• tammypie
    12 years ago

I once had a macgillivrayi cutting, kept her in my west-facing garden window, where my hoyas got several minutes of direct sunlight.

In no time, this hoya began growing large, fleshy thick leaves, then one day I saw the penducles, I was so ecstatic.

I cared for her just like my other hoyas; water only when dry and water a little more frequently in the summer. With a little TLC you will be rewarded with this:

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Wow Tammy...those are Gorgeous! I have one in a pot I'm growing outside in a planter area in front of my North facing window. Its in the shade but gets Very bright indirect light...I let mine slightly dry out and water well. I fertilize it once a week "weakly". I can't wait to see blooms one day. Thanks for posting!

K&C...I think you will like this hoya...the only thing that I'm worried about is how big will this one get? I've got a few hoyas that size is becoming a real problem,lol...Space is getting very limited.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Tammypie,

I think I will visit you in your town!!! LOL

I received a cut from Joni, and didn't have any problem rooting this hoya, and know it is growing fast and here is winter, and it is very cold!

Mitzi

• suetran1
    12 years ago

I grow mine outside in summer, under morning sun, use bloom booster in May, 1 time only.
    I add 1/2 tps slow release fertilizer Nutricote, or Dynamin for flower(you can buy at HD) for whole summer, water everyday.
    Bring them in greenhouse in winter, under medium light, temperature max 65F, humidity 70%, water 1 or 2 time/week.
    I treated all of my hoya the same way.
    I think hoya needs the change of temperature, like in the wild, in order to flower.
    have a good growing.
    sue

• lovingmy4babies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the tips, guys! I love the large growers, and if I get flowers, that's just an added bonus :)

• ladygreensleeves
    12 years ago

H.macgillivrayi likes to follow the seasons with it watering cycles. Water it more in the summer during the rainy season and let it grow dry in the winter during it dormant season. In the late spring it will start it flowering, but be careful with watering during the time it is developing peduncles. Watering it in the early stages will cause it to blast them. This is a Hoya that gets large and does need space to grow in(sorry pug).

Regina

• lovingmy4babies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Regina! I'm relatively new to the Hoya world, though I've had some great beginner's luck, so I really feel like I need all the advice I can get! I really love the way people here are so generous with their tips and advice, too :)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Regina...Very helpful growing tips. When you say be careful watering during the early stages of developing peduncles, what do you suggest? Try to keep as evenly moist as possible or let it dry out somewhat before watering. I had a feeling this one is going to be another Imperialis lol...

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Pugluvr1, I kept my macgillivrayi in a west-facing garden window. The sun came around 1:30 and disappeared behind my neighbor's house (our homes are pretty close together) and she seemed to like it there.

TPie

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Tammy!

Nancy

• ladygreensleeves
    12 years ago

Nancy, When I see that my Mac is developing peduncles I ignore it until they are a good size. Everytime I have tryed to water it when they are in their early developement they blast. This is a hoya that likes to grow dry so don't feel like you have to water it just because it now has peduncles. Just leave it be....don't even breath on it! When the buds are about the size of a multiflora bud just before they open then carefully give it a drink, without disturbing it as much as possible.

Regina

• lovingmy4babies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't realize it was such a sensitive plant! I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thanks for the tips!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Regina!! I had no idea this one was that picky during bud stage,lol...

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions