Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summering outside for first time, what to expect?

Posted by flower.baby none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 12:28

Hello!

I normally keep all of my houseplants indoors year round, but this ear we are staying at my moms house in California for the summer until we can move into or new place.
So I brought all of my houseplants from Oregon to California with me.
She has a shaded patio with a water "mister" around the entire patio, so ya nice and humid.

I have a few plants that I am hoping to get a lot of new growth on this year.
Can I expect a lot of nice new growth in their new warm sunny humid environment?!
I have 3 types of Hoya (grandmas carnosa, hindu rope, & kerrii) and I also have a few orchid cactus that I'm hoping will bloom. One with red flowers anyone night blooming cereus. And a curly spider and Easter cactus.
I also just ordered yesterday "dinnerplate Hoya" Hoya obovata, verrigated obovata, and polka dot begonia. So excited to get them!!

Anyway, do you think I can expect lots of growth in this new environment? How do your plants do outside in summer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summering outside for first time, what to expect?

Lucky you! I live in Oregon!

I grew up in S. California and was too young to appreciate the plant weather before we moved away!

Whereabouts in Oregon are you from? I am in the Columbia Gorge and always looking for Hoya friends in the state. :)

I know to just avoid direct sun on any plant you put outside for the first time.

o

I am from the rogue valley in southern Oregon.
I am so home sick and can't wait to move back :)

& yes all plants are in the shade :)

o

Cool... let me know when you are back - perhaps we can exchange cuttings :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here