Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peduncle

Posted by dalette (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 12:38

What makes a Hoya grow a peduncle and then it just falls off and never flowers?Thanks for any info......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peduncle

Is it the first peduncle? Sometimes, it's like they have a hard time putting out those first ones. Usually, the peduncle starts to bud up then aborts. I have a peduncle on my macgillivrayii that tried 3 times and aborted all 3. But sometimes, the whole peduncle falls off. There are certain Hoyas whose peduncles are rather tender and they will sometimes yellow and drop, like lacunosa. I think it gets bumped or disturbed, which damages it. At any rate, don't take it personally. You can expect a new peduncle now that it's working on making them.

Denise in Omaha

o

Thank you Denise.....

o

Hey there Denise,

That was so nicely written & reassuring. You're such a great Hoya mother ;>)

I guess I feel especially reassured as I repotted my NO ID Hoya (suspect Shepardhi) w/ 5 peduncles its had for a year or more. They haven't budded up yet, but I couldn't remember when I repotted it, so I did it this weekend & didn't lose any peduncles - yayyyyy!!!

Karen

o

Hi Karen,

Shepherdii is one of my favorites with it's super-skinny, succulent leaves. I have mine over-potted, but it still spits out a few blooms for me. It's never been a real fast grower for me though, unlike shepherdell.

I bet if you gave it a shot of bloom booster (which is also good for root development), it'll give it a little "push" to bloom.

Denise in Omaha

o

Karen another way to get blooms is to put your plant near an open window where it gets at least a ten degree drop in temperature at night, this Hoya likes it cool to bloom well. Peduncles are produced very easily but getting more than a few to bloom can be tricky for indoor growers.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here