Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Couple of Blooms to Share...

puglvr1
12 years ago

Just wanted to share a couple of blooms that re-budded from several weeks ago.

Hoya pottsii..

Hoya Sp. square...

Thanks for looking!

Comments (37)

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh that pottsii is GORGEOUS! which one is that - do you know Nancy? Of course the other shot is pretty too - but I love your first shot! WOW!

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

They are gorgeous! The pottsii look like candies, and the sp. Square look like little cupcakes! Yum! lol

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Nancy...I love the blooms, especially of the H. pottsii...sure wish we knew the IML # on this one, it's truly a beauty. Any ideas, David? Great growing, as always, Nancy!! Fondly, Patrick

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

WOW, Hoya pottsii is just wonderful!!

Thanks for sharing these pictures. They are really lovely.

Mitzi

• suetran1
    12 years ago

I love pottsii, will keep in mind.
    Beautiful !!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Pottsii seems to be a very easy one to grow too. At least for me it is. Mine are blooming now too.

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

I have to chime in here to say WOW. What a gorgeous bloom in the first picture. You also have great photography skills.

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Soooooo pretty, Nancy! Let me know if you ever want to give it a trim and I'll gladly root something of mine for you in exchange.

Lisa

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!! I wish I knew what the IML is on that Pottsii but I received it on a trade as a "NOID"...later was ID here as possibly Pottsii.

I took that picture when I saw how frilly it looks...I'm not sure if it just opened or is slightly closing back up?

Yeah, if anyone has a guess...please share!

Lisa, I'll keep that in mind ;o)...

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Gorgeous blooms. I love the pottsii. Can't wait to see peduncles on mine. It's more than two years old, so I'm hopping it will bloom soon. My sp. square is new, so I know I have to wait for that one. Your plants always look great. I'm going to have to transfer all of mine into the mix you use. We're in the same location, so hopefully mine will take off looking good.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I love that last photo!
    I never noticed just how husky those pottsii peduncles are, pretty neat.

Mike

• Denise
    12 years ago

Nancy,

I love it when the flowers are just starting to open like that and the corolla looks like a lacy frame for the corona. The plant itself is super-outstanding - wonderful coloring. You must give it lots of light? How big are the leaves? It's hard to judge without knowing how big the pot is. The reason I ask is because it reminds me a lot of the hellwigiana I once had - especially the coloring. But hellwigiana's leaves are quite a bit smaller than pottsii, but look very similar.

And, wow, now I can't wait for my 'Square Leaf' to bloom!! They make me think of perfect little Chinese lanterns. Mine is doing well, so who knows... maybe I'll have blooms soon!

Denise in Omaha

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Pug,those are really nice pics. Your pottsii seems to be a bit huskier than any that I have. It'd be interesting to know which clone it is.

The sp. square flowers look like they should be on top of a cake!!

I have just gotten around to getting back outside and taking some new pictures. There have been many flowers open,i've just been lazy and it's been EXTREMELY hot and humid here which doesn't make me all that excited about having to go outside!!!

So here are the pics.

First is H. mecgregorii. These are the tiniest little flowers and they smell amazing

H. aldrichii. I caught this one too late as they are already starting to close up!!

This is H. engleriana it's a dainty little hoya and i've found it not to be all that difficult to grow or propagate

H. memoria

H.padangensis

H. erythrina "Bajo"

EPC 231 sp. (RB9) hummingbird. This is a first time bloomer!!

H. sp. Bogor from Paul Shirley. This is most likely just another clone of hoya acuta. It grows like a weed and the flowers are one of my favorites!

H. incrassata. These are actually little tiny flowers and the clusters always seem to make a perfect ball shape just a little smaller than a tennis ball

H. fischeriana

I'm really diggn' these next 3 pics!!! Each one comes with it's own individual form of wildlife!!
    #1 H. surigaoensis

#2 H. kanyakumariana

#3 H. neocaledonica--my favorite of the 3

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Ima, Mike and Denise!

Ima, the gritty mix has worked well for my hoyas...I hope you have the same results.

Mike, this hoya does have sturdy somewhat thick vines and peduncles.

Denise, I just went to measure some of the leaves and they're anywhere from 2" to 3 1/2 being the largest. They vary in width as well...some narrower than others. Do you remember if your hellwigiana had thick succulent leaves. I honestly can't say I'm absolutely positive its Pottsii...they do have thick succulent leaves though. Hard to say if that's because of my growing conditions or the variety? I do have it in very bright...outside(northern wall of my house). It hasn't gotten any direct sun since late Feb. The sun has been pretty intense since the beginning of March and decided to move it away from direct sun till next winter.

I'm sure your Sp. square will bloom soon...looking forward to pictures.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks David!! They do kind of look like they're good enough to eat,lol...

Wow, no sooner did I hit the submit page...I saw your post!! You and I must have been posting about the same time... OMG! Those are some AMAZING SHOTS!! Love, love them ALL, but the ones with the bugs are pretty cool shots! Even though they are pretty scary looking up close and personal,lol...

With all those different bugs do you get a lot of seed pods?

Stunning flowers as usual...Thanks for posting them!!

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Pug, I love the colors of the blooms on pottsii. They are so delicate and pretty. It makes me want a dress in those colors, and generally I hate whites and pastels. (To wear, I mean.) I guess some pottsiis have larger leaves and some are dainty? I have IML 0022 and it has the cutest little leaves. They are more the size of fitchii's leaves. I used to have Cooper's Creek and those leaves were a lot larger.

Ok David, I love the bee, and I recognize the fly but what is the first critter? Is that an ant? Is he really huge or are the flowers really small? Actually, he seems to have wings. I can't tell what he is, upside down.

One of these days I'd like to see a big old ball of blooms for myself. The ones that have bloomed for me are more like half circles, or distinct individual flowers. The ball of blooms type is really cool, though.

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Come ON David... GET EXCITED about going outside in the humid weather.... Your photos of your hoyas are always such a pleasure to see.. LOVE THEM ALL!!
    You know you really make me mad - lol...(jk) everytime I see your hoyas theres another one I add to my list!
    On my last order - I ordered hoya acuta just for that reason - it had a pinkish color to it...
    And that H. aldrichii on my last liddle order it was a should I , Shouldnt I.... SHOULD OF!!! Oh well - so hard to choose....

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Pug, I do get an awful lot of seed pods but I always pick them before they ripen. I had some this year on one of the acuta's that was almost a foot long. I've probably picked a dozen or so from different hoyas so far this year and i'm sure that i've missed some. In fact I know I missed some because a few weeks ago there were little seeds flying all over the place.

The bumble bee and the fly didn't worry me. The wasp as you can see from the photo had both eyes locked right on me!!!

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Eeek, wasp! Not a fan of those. I have no bloom pics to share at the moment, but speaking of insects with eyes locked on you...

I woke up one morning to find this guy on the ceiling above my bed! I coaxed him into that Mason jar, and released him in the yard but decided I needed a few pics first. As I was focusing my camera, he actually turned to look straight at me. He was cool. He cooperated for a little bit, then went off to attend to mantis business.

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Golden, I think we all pretty much get our start that way!!!! Or at least I know I did anyway. I used to sit and just go through picture after picture of hoyas and make out my wish lists and like yourself I have my own set of people to blame!!!!

Quinn ,yes it is a wasp and they tend to get very alert when I come around. I have to pay close attention when working with the hoyas not to get stung. There was apparently one hanging upside down on the roof of my back deck one day last month and just as I stepped out the backdoor it hit me right on the tip of my nose. Boy did it hurt. That's the first time i've been stung in a long time. The outcome for the wasp was not a good one I might add!!!

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Quinn I forgot to tell you,great pic of the mantis. An egg sack recently hatched someplace in my yard because i've noticed a lot of little ones about the length of a match stick hanging out on some of the shrubs.

• tammypie
    12 years ago

pug and dmichael, absolutely gorgeous blooms!

Tonight I was admiring my H. Loherii with her long pendicules - the blooms died out a couple of weeks ago - I just love her leaves and the long vines she's putting out.

TPie

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

My lacunosa 'Royal Flush' has one little peduncle. It's so cute. I knew something was blooming by the scent, but couldn't see which plant. I finally found the one tiny peducle hidden among the leaves. It has a spicy fragrance. It took me over 20 pictures before I finally got one that wasn't too blurry. Here she is.

{{gwi:965679}}

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Quinn - that praying mantis photo is just super awesome... you can even see his pupils in that photo!

Ima digger... very beautiful shot... those lacunosa's are hard to take a photo of because they are upside down... you did a lovely job - very pretty!

• suetran1
    12 years ago

I'd told you so.!
    The more I see your guy pics, the more I want it ..
    I can't stop loving them..lol

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Pug

I guess I'm a little late for the train, but beautiful pictures, Pug! It's too funny that all of us turn flips for this NOID every time you bring it out. Goes to show one should never turn ones nose up over a NOID trade. :D My hellwigiana does not have succulent leaves, but neither do either of my pottsiis.

/Denise

I agree that hellwigiana looks much like pottsii. Perhaps when my hellwigiana grows a bit you'd like a snip, since you always sound regretful over yours?

/David

I'm so excited to be reminded that mcgregorii has tiny flowers. I wouldn't have guessed it, as the leaves are so ... biggish.

Beautiful EPC 231! I love the way the blooms are splayed out to the max, like tiny umbrellas. Very neat!

Those sp. Bogor flowers are wonderful! What a great selection of peachy shades. It does seem like an acuta, and acutas are awesome!

Mmm incrassata. Could you be any more delightful? I am seduced!

LOVE THE BUMBLEBEE! and baby mantises... that's very cool!

/Quinn

I definitely would prefer a praying mantis over many other bugs hanging out above my bed, but that particular location always gives me the heeby jeebies. Love that picture, though! He looks like he's trying to look sneaky for a musical performance.

/Ima

Great shot! You really captured how feathery vs fuzzy these guys are.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Fantastic photos David. My favorite is the Hoya sp. EPC 231, love the leaf shape on this one as well. I think that form of erythrina has to have the most beautiful blooms of all. Recently I have been toying with the idea if adding the long leaf form to my collection.
    That Hoya neo-caledonica shot is amazing! The flower colours are so appealing.

Quinn that is a cute little mantis. Can mantises even be referred to as being cute? LOL

Nice shot of your lacanosa Imadigger. I have to admit that I almost never try to photograph my plant because it's so hard to get a good photo.

Mike

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

ima digger, that's a fantastic photo of your H. lacunosa. This is one hoya that I have problems getting a nice picture of.

I took a few more pics today of some things in bloom.

H. cv. Noelle

H. patella without flash. Yesterday when this flower first opened it was much pinker than it is today. Today it appears to be a bit washed out looking but still very pretty and HUGE!!! The buds on this hoya swell up like a balloon almost to the point that they look as if they'll explode if they grow anymore and then suddenly they open!!

same flower but taken with flash

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

David that Hoya patella is gorgeous! I have the same plant and it had three flower buds at the start of the summer but I let it dry out and the whole growth pretty much died back. There is new growth now so I have been watching the moisture level closely.
    This is one Hoya I would love to have the white flowered variety of as well.

Mike

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Mike,
    I have the white variety as well but it is still a small plant and it may be some time before I see any flowers on it. I bought the white one when Asiatica nursery announced that they were closing.

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

I LOVE the cv. Noelle!!! GREAT PHOTO! Does it have a nice fragrance David?

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

David, beautiful blooms. I look forward to seeing your pictures. I go to the 'other' forums, but there is no action there anymore. Everyone one disappeared. Maybe it's a good thing. No drama here. LOL. I keep adding to my 'want list' every time you post pictures.
    I sort of cheated on my lacunosa shot. I couldn't get a closeup that was not blurry, so I took another picture and cropped it using Picasa. I'm a little anal with the new photo editing programs unless I have a book with instructions. I find Picassa (which is free from Google) to be easy to use.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

While looking at your pics again, David, I'm drooling over cv. Noelle and patella. What gorgeous blooms. The cv. Noelle really does look like porcelain.

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Golden,

i'll have to check and see if the cv. Noell has a fragrance or not.usually on hoyas like that that i've had for quite some time,I don't smell the flowers on them anymore and I don't recall if it had a scent the last time I smelled it or not.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Nice flowers every one.I am always pulled toward yellows and love to see them.

Cindy

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

David, I got the white patella from Asiatica too. How big has yours managed to get? My plant is still pretty small, but is currently growing two vines pretty rapidly, which are trying to take over the orchid next to it. Every day I have to untangle the vine, because I don't want it permanently attached to that orchid. It is a mounted orchid with roots and nooks and crannies in the mount itself for the vines to get caught up in, that I will never be able to extricate patella from if it gets a good foothold. I'm trying to keep on top of watering it also. It seems to be a plant that needs to be kept happy or else you get a one step forward, two steps back sort of situation. But I'm happy to say that it is giving me those new little red-brown leaves. I'd read that the new leaves come in that color, but in the past, they always came up apple green.

Javanica is blooming but I haven't managed a pic yet. Restrepia striata bloomed but I missed taking a pic. I might have inadvertently pollinated it. It normally lasts a few days at least, but this time it was done in one. I got water in the flower and I dabbed it out with a q tip. Oh well, I guess we'll see. Oh, and speckled lacunosa is blooming again as well. So nothing new but I am always happy to see blooms.

Mike I do think you can say mantises are cute, especially that one, since he was pretty small. GG, he's neat, but I still found it alarming to have him on the ceiling above my bed. That ceiling (don't live there anymore) was only 6 ft 3 in at its highest point, and sloped down at a sharp angle such that at its lowest point, it would only be about 2 ft up from the floor. So if he decided to go walking down that slope, he could easily have landed on my bed, or on me.

Ima, I don't consider that cheating, I do that often. It also makes it easier to get the whole bloom in focus. Trying to take a closeup often gets only some of the flowers in focus, which can be cool if you're going for that effect, but can also be annoying for photos of hoya flowers, since they are multiple flowered blooms much of the time.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Quinn, Tammy and GG and Cindy!!

Ima, beautiful Royal flush blooms!!

David, I absolutely LOVE your Patella bloom...I hope to see on of those in person some day! Cv. noelle is gorgeous as well.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions