Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

CBNI cuttings (heads up, I'm hard!)

greedygh0st
12 years ago

I've been meaning to post a thread like this for a while because I think there could be a lot of value in it. What I'm curious about is:

What Hoya cuttings have you found difficult to root?

There are many reasons why rooting a Hoya might be categorized as difficult.
- The cutting was purchased on multiple occasions before success.

- The cutting is more stressed by travel than the average Hoya.

- The cutting requires a very specific setup to root that might not be anticipated (e.g. water rooting, cool conditions, etc.)

SO tell us your stories and lend us your advice, please. And maybe the next time one of us wants that plant, we'll be forewarned and forearmed.

(CBNI = Challenging But Not Impossible)

Comments (11)

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

GG,

Very good!

Megalaster... I've tried many times, I think I bought this 7 times, and have ordered again, waiting its arrival!

Mitzi

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

H. buotii . . . I killed it, last year, and I'm attempting to kill it again, this year! :P It just wants to turn black and die!

Carolyn

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

AH AH!!!! Now here's a thread that I can relate to!!!! Yes believe it or not (I),yes me, do have trouble rooting some hoyas!!!

EXAMPLE::: hoya endauensis

I have killed cuttings of this more times than Santa Claus has said "ho,ho,ho"!!!!! Most recently the cutting of it that just arrived on the Iris Liddle order. It's the only cutting that I had trouble with,every single one of the others have rooted already but endauensis was yellow and dead by day 3. I haven't had many others that have been that difficult to root.

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

My problem child at the moment is caudata- it put out tiny(!) roots, after a LONG time in the soil, but then it just stalled. I thought I had rotted them and dug it out to see, but they were still there, still the same size! I have no clue how to get it growing again, so I'm hoping it just spontaneously starts again. lol I'm also having slight issues with merrillii, but I think I'm(finally) through the tough spot with it.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

I would have to say caudata too. Like kidsnandcats, my caudata just sits there. I purchased a cutting from Bob Smolley in 2007. I know it's rooted, because it hasn't died yet. I almost lost it this past winter, when most of my hoya plants froze to death. The caudat lost a few big leaves. I was going to un-pot it and take a look at the roots, but when I picked it up I saw avery tiny sprout and left it alone. Today the little leaf (just one, mind you) is about an inch long. I will not move it or touch it anymore. I'm afraid to jinx it. So if anyone has a shorter growth record than 4 years for caudata, you can cheer loud and clear.

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

I have tried hoya glabra, hoya mitrata, and hoya lambii and have failed miserably. Is there a secret to rooting mitrata? The leaves turned yellow and fell off the stem, even in a rooting aquarium. I have given up on rooting mitrata, I ordered a big one from Greenthumb3000 on ebay. I hope it survives the trip. I will post pics when I get it.

Michelle

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Um, for the most part, I haven't had any problems ROOTING anything I've gotten, but getting them to do anything besides a couple aborted attempts at new growth, well, that's happened. I have a yellow heuschkeliana that is exactly the same size as when I got it, maybe a couple years ago? DS-70 and cv. Mathilde are finally doing some nice growing. I lost an obscura cutting last year, but it arrived looking pretty sad to begin with.

I have received rooted plants that have proven challenging. Patella needs to be watched. It is very cute but so tiny and with the thinnest vines. You forget them for one day and the vines dry up. That one stays in my terrarium. Mindorensis is a one leafed wonder at the moment. Blashernaezii sent out a vine and then half the new vine died, and all the leaf buds dried up. Burtoniae is finally sending out some new growth. It doesn't like to dry out, it seems. Paulshirleyi loves to bloom but is a bit touchy about growing leaves and vines. I think this one actually prefers to dry out before being watered. Lambii shot out a long vine. Then the new vine dried up. I let it go dry, don't think it cares for that. Like I said before, cinnamomifolia (I ALWAYS think of kookamungaphobia whenever I write this) is a plant of no action, for whatever reason. Benguetensis doesn't seem to have forgiven me for the neglect earlier this year. It looks fine as a plant, but is showing no evidence of growth.

I don't know. I haven't really tried the super challenging yet. Also, I cheat and use rooting gel. I really think it helps. Lambii, for instance, rooted very quickly this way. Also, I don't let new cuttings dry out, and water only the leaves when the potting medium is still damp.

• tammypie
    12 years ago

I've had no problem rooting my hoyas, just keeping them alive is a challenge for some.

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Benguentensis, defintely benguentensis. I must have let it go too dry and the mother plant shriveled and died. I did manage to root a cutting - two months ago! - and it is just now starting to send out new growth.

Lisa

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I have failed twice to root Hoya darwinii and it always dies within days I arriving. I think that some cuttings just get stressed out and then rot or turn yellow, not sure if they are really hard to root or if they just don't travel well.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Off the top of my head, the cuttings I have struggled multiple times with are:

elliptica!
    rare mindorensis forms, such as yellow or dark
    coriacea!
    campanulata/danumensis
    praetorii/lasiantha
    caudata
    waymaniae

(I think the first 5 don't travel well and the last 2 don't root well.)

cold lovers are:

nyussiae
    engleriana
    pandurata
    megalantha (altho this one will put up w/heated aquariums)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County