Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suetran1

Hoya mathilde and the butterfly

suetran1
12 years ago

Hoya mathilde (carnosa X serpens)This plant is so easy to grow, it doesn't take a lot of places.

Comments (14)

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

I have this one and I just love it! I didn't think I would like it as much as I do. It really has a lot of personality for such a small-leafed plant :) You take such great pics!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Sue. Butterfly looks very content feeding the nectar.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

I just loooove butterflies! Hopefully I'll get to see them when my carnosa blooms! Hmm, maybe I'll need to add this one to my list lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

I also LOVE butterflies - they are so beautiful and to get a nice shot with the flower and the butterfly! He looks like he was there awhile .... Outstanding photo Sue!!! Your Mathilde is GORGEOUS too!!!

• suetran1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks you you all.
    Golden, you are an excellent observer. Yes, he is just staying there for me to take as many pictures as I want.
    sue

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

The only time I see butterflies, is in pictures. So pretty. I wish my Mathilde was a good grower. I've had mine for a while now (maybe going on two years?) and it is only now starting to grow for real. The rest of the time, it's been like having a fake plant. It is such a cute plant though. Great pictures!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Beautiful photo Sue, your photos are always an absolute pleasure to see.
    I saw a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly this past weekend in the butterfly garden that I helped my sister plant. These butterflys are really only found in a small portion of Canada that just happens to include the area that I live in so seeing one is kinda special.

Mike

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

They are also found in the area that I live in B.C. And I think they are very special also.... along with the hummingbirds that come to visit!!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

My area also has them and they love my yard.I always have a couple hanging around most of the day.Maybe its because I grow milkweed in my yard.

Sue, again unreal photos. Your ability to photograph your hoyas and wild life is amazing.

Cindy

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• Denise
    12 years ago

That's a great shot of the butterfly's body! I'm surprised he was so ok with you taking the pics. The nectar must be super-yummy and worth the risk! Did you use your zoom from back a ways, or did he actually let you get that close? It's a great pic of your 'Mathilde', too. Mine has gone nuts this year, growing like mad and blooming up a storm. I really like it!

Denise in Omaha

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Actually I had one of those butterflies visit my hanging baskets in my front yard and this butterfly was sooo tame - I walked right up to him and stroked his back while he enjoyed my flowers - I really need to sit out there one day and get a few shots of them cause they are my favorite... and when taken with flowers it makes the photo AWESOME!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I agree that butterflies are not that skittish as insects go. It's funny, isn't it? I guess it's because their locomotive skills aren't that awesome so their survival strategy has to be to stick tight and blend in or look like they have big eyes.

Sue, I just love your photos. I wish every day a Sue original would pop up in my email. ^_~ So much better than the pictures at that cheesy nature photography store I always have to walk past.

I know Emilio Begine's story of Mathilde's origin states that its birth was a happy coincidence, but I still think it's a genius invention. It's like the cupcake of Hoyas.

• suetran1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This butterfly is so concentrate to enjoy the nectar. I was standing within 3' to take the picture, he didn't move for a while. I use to see them early in the morning, even hummingbird.

Sponsored