Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mel_10

New hoya grower

mel_10
13 years ago

Hey everyone. I've been trying to read as much information on hoyas as I can get my hands on and have learned some great stuff from this forum. I just had a few questions that I was unable to find answers to. I have a hoya (actually my husband's) that is in a 8 in pot at the moment. It appears to have three individual plants in it and they are each about 5'-6' long. My questions are, should I separate the plants into individual pots or should I repot into a larger pot? This plant has never been repotted and is about 5 years old.

My other question concerns what I believe is a peduncle. It started growing from between two leaves about half way down the vine. It has been there for a good 8 months. Is this really a peduncle or am I wishful thinking? If it is, is it normal for it to stay the same for so long? I'll try to include a pic of the "peduncle" if I can figure out how to post pictures.

Thanks, Mel

Comments (17)

• Denise
    13 years ago

Hi Mel,

Welcome to the addiction! I'm guessing your Hoya is the Hindu Rope Hoya (Hoya compacta) - at least that's the image that came to mind in reading your description. I would leave it in the pot it's in for now unless it's showing signs of stress. If you top dress it with some new soil now and then and fertilize it semi-reguarly, it'll be fine in the same pot for several years.

Compacta, like some others, can grow peduncles that can remain dormant for long periods of time. I'm not sure why this happens, but when they're good and ready, those dormant peduncles will burst forth with flowers. I have one like that - 'Krinkle 8'. I've been watching these inactive peduncles for about 18 months and I finally (just today) found a flower cluster that's about ready to open. Yay - maybe that means the rest will bud up now!

Denise in Omaha

• mel_10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Denise! I'm unsure of what type of hoya it is. I have never seen it bloom and my husband said it has bloomed once but of course he could not remember what it looked like. I'll have to look up some info on the Hindu Ropa! Guess I'll just have to be patient a little longer and hope it blooms.

• Denise
    13 years ago

I've attached a link to Googles photo search of compacta...

Denise in Omaha

Here is a link that might be useful: Rope Hoya

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I'm confused. Where is the description that made you think compacta?

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

TD, I was wondering same thing.
    If there are 5-6' long 3 plants in 8" pot, it maybe needing a smaller pot. Sounds like to me way over potted.

• Denise
    13 years ago

I guess it's that compacta hangs out of the pot like that, whereas most of the ones I grow that get 6' long vines twine and try to grow more upward. I'd say pot size is fine if it's happily growing, but I've never been in the "smaller is better" camp myself.

Denise in Omaha

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Whoa, I'd consider a five to six foot plant in an 8 inch pot to be quite under-potted.
    If anything, I'd give it more room to grow.

Josh

• PRO
    13 years ago

Denise, please don't think I am looking for an argument because I am not. I am just picturing 3 rope plants in a 8" pot, I like full looking pot rather then giving more root room for the plants.
    Mel, please post a photo of your plants so we can see what it is.

Adding A Photo Within A Message Box

» You first need to upload your photos to the Internet using your own personal website or using a free/paying photo storage site. Several sites are Shutterfly and Webshots. There are many image hosting sites on the web. Follow the uploading instructions provided for the particular image hosting website. Some services do not allow displaying images stored on their site on other pages (like GardenWeb posts), some charge an annual fee, and most limit the amount of images stored, so be sure you choose a service that fits your needs. Image hosting sites mentioned are examples of possible options, and not endorsed or recommended by GardenWeb.

» Make sure your files end with .jpg or .gif. Try not to make your photos really large. 500 pixels x 500 pixels or 4" x 4" is a good size.

» Next, type within your message the HTML below replacing "file location and photo name" with your photo URL address.

» Next, go to Review Message and see if your photo shows up. If not - it may be a typo or you left off some quotes. You can copy and paste photo URL address so you don't mistype. You can get the photo URLs from a photo by Right-Clicking on the image and selecting Properties to show the image address. Select the entire URL (including the second line if necessary), then select "Ctrl C" to copy it to the Windows clipboard for the moment. Cancel the properties window. Switch back to the message form and "Ctrl V" to paste the URL into your message box.

» Now Review Message again and see if your photo shows. If so -- submit the message.

Adding a photo using the Link method.

» If you are posting a NEW post, the link will be on the Review Message page. After you type in your message, click Review Message and scroll down. You will see a place to add a link. Copy and paste any link from the Internet or photo URL address into the top space. Then type in the Name of the link below it. If you are replying to an existing message the link box will be below the message box on the same page -- then just follow the instructions above to add a link.

» Hit Review Message and make sure the link shows. You can also check the link to see it it works, then use the BACK key to get back to your post -- if its okay -- hit submit message.

Hope these instructions are helpful. Please try them and if you still have problems, let us know on the forum. Have fun!

Entered by Roanimare

FAQ Page

• mel_10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, first I'd like to apologize for causing such a disturbance with my one hoya :) Here are some pics. The first is of what I am calling a peduncle. Not sure if truly is, but based on the "microphone" description it is. This second pic is of the plant. The two longest vines are 5 ft long. Lastly I included a pic of the top view of the plant. Just so I can get clarification on whether it should be repotted or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Hoya

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Well, it's sure not compacta! hahaha

Carolyn

• PRO
    13 years ago

Mel, it looks like a peduncle.
    I would have put in a smaller pot if it was mine but your plant looks healthy and happy.
    Root rots are problem When it's over potted for me because I am a heavy waterer.
    Your hoya is not compacta but hard to tell what it is without flowers or clearer photo.
    Jan

• Denise
    13 years ago

Looks like the old fashioned carnosa and it looks very happy up there! And since you've been growing it like this for 5 years, I'd leave it alone. Jan, you're right - if one has a tendency to over water, smaller IS better. I'm at the other end of it - I grow lots of succulents and my brain is kind of programed to water less often. So I find if I keep them in bigger pots, they're less likely to get too dry before I water them. And whereas some people let them dry out a fair amount, I've found mine do a lot better if I don't let them get very dry. But in Florida, I'm sure you have to strike a precarious balance because of all the humidity, making plants more prone to rotting. I've grown Jade plants for 30-some years and the only time I ever lost one was when I briefly lived in Biloxi, MS, which has humidity like Florida. It just turned to mush!

Denise in Omaha

• mel_10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Think I'll just leave it in the pot it's in for now since it seems to be doing well. If and when it blooms I'll post more pics to try to get an ID :)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I agree that your plant looks very healthy. The leaves are a dark green which tells me that the plant is not in bright light so this may be why it has not bloomed. I find that most Hoyas bloom better in bright light and after moving my Hoya carnosa to a different spot where it gets much less light the leaves are a beautiful dark green colour but it only flowers on a few peduncles now instead of flowering heavily when it got more light.
    How far from a window is your plant and what way does the window face?

Mike

• mel_10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My hoya is about 6 ft to the side of an east facing window. It used to hang directly in front of an east facing window but we recently moved and there is no place to hang the plant. I'v read hoyas prefer direct sunlight, but at the moment that is just not an option.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

There might be enough light for blooms, the peduncle grew so that's a start. I guess you will just have to wait and see but even without blooms your plant looks great where you have it now.

Mike

• grmadarr
    13 years ago

I;too am a new hoya grower! Well not really. I have had one plant for 16 years! Since joining the Garden Web and this forum I am learning a lot.Went to Lowes and got a Biobata(anyway that's what the tag says) and I think I'm getting addicted!!It is very interesting to read the comments from all of you

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions