Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Cuttings For Friends (Questions)

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I took some cuttings off of my Pink Silver and carnosa, potted them up yesterday and the day before. Here are the pictures.

Pink Silver (the trellis is an old coat hanger)

Carnosa (I took at least seven cuttings to fill up the pot)

The Pink Silver cuttings seemed to have rooted the day after I took them! Maybe it had to do with the cuttings having the aerial roots on them?

These do have future homes, I'm happy to say! They'll be going to my younger friends, who don't have a green thumb.

I wanted to make sure with you guys that I got the basics straight so I can tell them how to take care of them.

What I've told people whom I've given cuttings to (theirs are still alive, mind you) is:

Let them dry out between waterings. They need more in spring/summer (I tell them to water at least once or twice a week) than in fall/winter (I say, depending on the variety, once a month (i.e. carnosa, pubicalyx) to every 10 days (i.e. multiflora, polyneura) ).

Don't repot them often. They don't mind being a little snug in the pots for long periods of time (my home-ec teacher said she hasn't repotted her carnosa for about 5-10 years!)

For fertilizing them, I tell them I use a tomato fertilizer(I read on here that bloom-boosters don't work. The tomato fertilizer seems to promote new growth faster).

Give them a sunny window, east, south (with a sheer curtain, i.e.) or west facing. You can put them outside too, in bright shade. Too much sun makes them yellow and/or scorch the leaves.

So, do I have it down pat? I hate to be responsible for their plant's death. My sister kept overwatering hers and it died. However, all the rest of my friends have their plants alive and well!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions