Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cuttings For Friends (Questions)

Posted by moonwolf 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 14:50

Hi everyone,

I took some cuttings off of my Pink Silver and carnosa, potted them up yesterday and the day before. Here are the pictures.

Pink Silver (the trellis is an old coat hanger)
Photobucket

Carnosa (I took at least seven cuttings to fill up the pot)
Photobucket

The Pink Silver cuttings seemed to have rooted the day after I took them! Maybe it had to do with the cuttings having the aerial roots on them?

These do have future homes, I'm happy to say! They'll be going to my younger friends, who don't have a green thumb.
I wanted to make sure with you guys that I got the basics straight so I can tell them how to take care of them.

What I've told people whom I've given cuttings to (theirs are still alive, mind you) is:

Let them dry out between waterings. They need more in spring/summer (I tell them to water at least once or twice a week) than in fall/winter (I say, depending on the variety, once a month (i.e. carnosa, pubicalyx) to every 10 days (i.e. multiflora, polyneura) ).

Don't repot them often. They don't mind being a little snug in the pots for long periods of time (my home-ec teacher said she hasn't repotted her carnosa for about 5-10 years!)

For fertilizing them, I tell them I use a tomato fertilizer(I read on here that bloom-boosters don't work. The tomato fertilizer seems to promote new growth faster).

Give them a sunny window, east, south (with a sheer curtain, i.e.) or west facing. You can put them outside too, in bright shade. Too much sun makes them yellow and/or scorch the leaves.

So, do I have it down pat? I hate to be responsible for their plant's death. My sister kept overwatering hers and it died. However, all the rest of my friends have their plants alive and well!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cuttings For Friends (Questions)

I forgot to add this part.

"Be sure to use warm/room temprature water. If you use too hot or cold water, you'll shock the roots."

And this: "You don't have to use fertilizer, but it helps."

I also tell them to look in the box stores and the Internet for more hoya plants and information (Of course, I say the hoya forum is the best place to go!)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I think I could follow those instructions. :)

Though, depending on their plant growing experience, you might want to qualify "let them dry out between waterings". I could just see someone not watering it for two months, "But you told me to let it dry between waterings!"

o

Andrew,

That's good to know! I gave away the Pink Silver cuttings to my one friend yesterday and all I told her was to make sure it was dry before watering again. I'm going to type up a care sheet on my typewriter (printer's out of ink) for her. I usually tell people to check for dryness using the finger method.

LOL, I could see my friends saying that! I'll make sure to tell them to check it a few times a week.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I wouldn't even say anything about how often to water, and I'd say let it dry a LITTLE between waterings. I don't let mine get very dry at all. In fact, I'd say I water them BEFORE they become dry. If you have the right mix and you don't let them stand in water, there's really little risk of overwatering, except maybe in winter. I would suggest to your friends to learn the "feel" method to determine if a plant needs to be watered. That has always served me best!

Denise in Omaha

o

Thanks, Denise!

I've always used the feel method too! I'll be sure to tell them that!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here