Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
therealmrsdoodlepunk

does what I did look OK?

These are the healthiest looking cuttings from my lacunosa. I soaked them in sugar water and they seemed better, firmer and stiffer. So I took off the yellower leaves and left the best looking darkest ones, dipped the stems in rooting powder and sunk them into the perlite. I wet it down with some Schultz's solution I had for rooting and new transplants, then put the whole thing in the bag and clipped it shut. I plan on opening the bag every day to let air in and out. Is that a good thing to do? There is some liquid in the bag, should I empty that out? Does this look like it will work?

Comments (8)

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Yes, that setup looks great. Just be sure that no sunlight actually hits the bag or those cuttings will be cooked. (:o)

Once the cuttings become turgid, I would open the bag a bit so that the cuttings don't end up rotting from too much moisture.

• therealmrsdoodlepunk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These leaves have always been very thin, never thick and waxy like my carnosa or rope/crinkle-whatever hoyas. They are stiff now, where before they were limp, is that what you mean? Maybe I should not have the bag closed tightly.

I think that the problems with this plant started this winter when we left for over two weeks and it was cooler in here than usual. In a clay pot the poor thing dried out. I should have given it to a friend but she was afraid she would kill it!

This window is south facing but shaded and only gets bright sun in the winter, the plant has always done well here, the carnosa below this one loves it there.

• laura1
    14 years ago

wow you really have a set up there.
    I have very good luck with the KISS method of rooting hoyas. I stick the cuttings in my potting mix and dampen the mix...and wait. I don't cover or use rooting hormone.

Whatever works for you...Go for It!

• Denise
    14 years ago

Laura - yeah, lucky you, in that perfect climate (for these plants anyway!) Actually, this time of year that usually works for me too, because we're probably almost as humid as you are. I walk outside this time of year and I **wilt** but my plants look like they'd sing if they could.

Denise in Omaha

• therealmrsdoodlepunk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I sure appreciate all the expert help from everyone here!

I wish I had a better touch with plants. I don't have much hope for this lacunosa. I see some nice ones on Ebay and there are some at Logees, where I got this one. I might have to get it for my birthday. Sigh.

One thing I wonder about. They have pictures of big lacunosas in hanging pots, are those multiple rootings in one big pot, or will one plant get that big? This was just one rooted cutting when I got it. Well, it was well rooted and it did get a little bigger but not huge.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

I seal my cuttings up in an aquarium and it is above 90% humidity and there has only been one cutting that showed rot. Remember that the cuttings have no way of taking up moisture they loose through transpiration so opening the bag too often will cause them to become stressed. Another good method would be to use sphagnum moss to root the cuttings, sphagnum is naturally antimicrobial and cuttings do very well in it.
    I think the most important thing is to check up on the cuttings often, there are many methods but they will not all work for everyone because of various conditions etc. so it takes some experimentation.

Mike

• therealmrsdoodlepunk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, by check on them often, does that mean just look at them to see if they are turning yellow(er)or starting to rot and pulling the bad ones out?

This is right next to my kitchen area where I spend 70 percent of my waking hours, so I will be looking at it every day. I sealed up the bag again, too!

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

You can open the bags but don't be afraid to mist the cuttings if they look like they need it. I also keep my cuttings only inches below two 40W fluorescent lights because they root much faster that way, just no hot sun like was mentioned.

Mike