Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabro14

Hoya trip (Pics inside)

gabro14
16 years ago

Well, we actually pulled it off and made our trip to Meadowbrook Farm in Pennsylvania. Jen (Ines), Millaray, Eddie and I went on our little hoya trip. It was great meeting all of you! Thanks for the idea Milla!

If anyone can get out there, I highly recommend it. John gave us a wonderful tour of the place, and it is just gorgeous. They had so many hoyas, although not all were for sale (some were stock plants). We got to see some macgillivrayii buds...they are HUGE! They also had retusa, imbricata, pubicalyx, krinkle 8, curtisii, cinnamomifolia, and meredithii...but none for sale. But they were great to look at!

The ones for sale were lacunosa, polyneura, cummingiana, rigida, loherii, variegated macrophylla, sigillatis, tsangii (DS-70), serpens, carnosa KP, and compacta (both variegated and plain). Guys, let me know if I'm forgetting anything.

Eddie and Milla were the photographers on the trip, and I'm sure they'll post some pics. Here's a big THANK YOU to them for taking pictures :)

Here's a pic that Eddie took of me standing next to a gigantic leaf. It looks like it's about to eat me up!

Here are some pics of my purchases (I'm SOOOO bad!!):

H. rigida

{{gwi:966447}}

H. macrophylla variegated (was mislabeled as H. latifolia)

{{gwi:966449}}

H. sigillatis

{{gwi:966450}}

H. serpens (this is a nice old plant...it has HUNDREDS of peduncles that have bloomed several times already)

{{gwi:966452}}

Close-up of H. serpens

{{gwi:966453}}

So when is our next trip????

:)

Gabi

Comments (27)

• ines_99
    16 years ago

ooooh look at that peduncle on that rigida...

Gabi, how could you forget the variegated kerri??? you were so interested in it, I was half expecting you to offer up your first born child for a cutting.

We should go to Asiatica next, maybe when the weather starts to cool a little. But the PA Hort. Society sent me a long list of nurseries in the area, I plan on checking to see if there are any others around like Meadowbrook.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

you also left out weebella and variegated bella, and something that was either shepherdii or longifolia - plus, they DID have imbricata for sale, remember? Not cheap though....Other than that, I think you got them all.

I am also kind of interested in the tsangii they had, because it was a bit different then my EA DS-70, maybe it is the real tsangii.

Any problems bringing them home? My boyfriend came over late last night and said, oh, just what you needed! More plants! But he did like the sigillatis. He needs to learn more about hoyas, I think seeing them in bloom helps get them more interested.

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I knew you'd remember the ones I forgot. How could I forget that variegated kerrii????? Yes, the little peduncle on the rigida...you'll never let me live that down, will you?!

Nope, no problems bringing them home. IÂm telling youÂthe trick is to tell them that youÂre planning on bringing home about 10 hoyas (or anything more than you think youÂre really gonna get), but then bring home lessÂ.then theyÂre happy that you didnÂt get so many!!

• ines_99
    16 years ago

yep, for the rest of your life, or the rigida's life, every time that plant blooms, you will have to express your undying gratitude towards me. A card and a cash gift will be fine.

Just kidding! (I will be thanking YOU when those serpens peduncles bloom again....)

By the way, I heard that a grower by the name of Delray Plants out of Florida is selling baskets of variegated kerri thru Home Depot or Lowes..I think it is Home Depot, but not positive. Being such a slow grower, for me anyway, a full size plant is the way to go with that one, don't you think? So keep an eye out for it, they are in Georgia so it makes sense that they could be on the east coast in general. I will let you know if I see one.

• shiver
    16 years ago

I am so impressed with you guys for getting together and going on a trip---what a neat idea! Being in MN with no plant lovers around me is lonely, so perhaps someday I will do the same. Enjoy your hoyas and thanks for the pics and inspiration. ;)

• trace00969
    16 years ago

That is so cool that you guys did this!! I wish I had more friends into plants too.....seems like a dying hobby in some places. I love the pics of the not so common hoyas......I never see those types around here. Thanks for sharing everyone....I am glad to hear you had a great time!!

Tracy

• trace00969
    16 years ago

sorry for the double post, but Gabro, what is that plant you are standing net too, it is massive!!
    Tracy

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Gabi,

It looks like you were in the tropics.
    I've added my two cents from the trip (along with photos) to the attached link.

Eddie

Here is a link that might be useful: Meadowbrook Farm Hoya Trip Article

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Aside from just hoyas, Meadowbrook Farm had other incredible plants to see. Here are some other photos I took aside from the hoyas:

Stapelia flavopurpurea

Hatiora epiphylloides ssp bradei

Rhytidocaulon macrolobum

Ceropegia haygarthii

Enjoy,
    Eddie

• amany
    16 years ago

Really beautiful pictures. It's nice that you all were able to get together and do that.

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eddie...your pics are just gorgeous!

Tracy, I have no idea what that plant is, but it reminded me of Little Shop of Horrors...."feeeeeed me Gabi"

Haha..I'm still delirious from the hoya excursion.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Tracy, that plant next to Gabi is Elephant ears. Gabi, I want that H. macrophylla and H. sigillatis and H. serpens. They are gorgeous. I am so jealous!!! just kidding.
    I am sure you all had a blast!!!

• ines_99
    16 years ago

How did I miss that Stapelia flower??

The third picture, the little brown one, Rhytidocaloun, was so small that at first glance it looked like a little bug....You needed a magnifying spy glass to look at it, and those little hairs on the petal tips vibrated, presumably to attract insects. All the flowers on the cacti and succulents were really fascinating, I would love to make room for them someday when I have the right conditions...

Eddie, those are some great shots. You really should get a freelance job photographing plants and flowers for horticultural magazines/publications. You have natural talent.

• cincinnata
    16 years ago

Please give my regards to Millaray from a fellow www.infojardin.com member! I'm glad the trip is going well and look forward to reading all about it on the above site. Besos.

• epiforums
    16 years ago

One plant that we forgot to mention was hoya imbricata. I took a photo this time around when I went back. Interesting specimen that requires lots of humidity.

Enjoy,
    Eddie

• Mentha
    16 years ago

Cool Eddie,
    That imbricata brings back memories of coconut bras in Hawaii, lol

I still want that Hatiora epiphylloides ssp bradei, not fair that I can't have one, sniff

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Eddie, was there anything new there as far as the hoyas go?

Mentha, I want that hatiora too, and will probably check from time to time to see if it is available for sale, if I can get it, I will send you cuttings, though I hear it is not an easy one to propagate or to grow.

• Mentha
    16 years ago

ines, I wonder if it would grow in a wardian case. I have one that needs something put in it.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Eddie, nice photo! requires lots of humidity? Florida should be a good place. Hmmm maybe I need to get one.
    Jan

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Mentha, what is a wardian case?

• Mentha
    16 years ago

A Wardian case named after DR. Nathaniel Bagshaw Ward. He invented it for his ferns. It caught on and finally used for orchids and other plants. It also helped in the transport of plants to europe from the americas. The plants would dry out on the long trips, but in these glass cases they had a fighting chance.
    Mine looks like a little house on a small stand, the lid hinges and the glass comes out for cleaning. It's just a fancy terrarium with removable glass and a metal frame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wardian case

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice pic Eddie...you got any more??
    I hope you enjoyed yourself :)
    Gabi

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Mentha,

.....coconut bras. Heh.
    They had a few small rooting plants they were getting rooting up, probably for selling. You might want to call them up to see if you can be put on a waiting list, and if they'll mail to you. Just ask for John Story and tell him you want Ken Friedman's epiphylloides.

back to hoyas....Here is a photo of a large plant of sigillatis (which Gabro14 and ines_99 got cuttings of):

Enjoy,
    Eddie

• shiver
    16 years ago

When I saw Eddie's last pic I started drooling on my keyboard---that is one gorgeous plant! The pinkish flush is so striking.....

• mairzy_dotes
    16 years ago

That plant has been difficult for me. It likes it dryer than most and yet wants humid conditions around it. I have lost a couple of them so far. I have cuttings from the last one but they never seem to grow (even with beer fertilizer..ha ha). Just holding their own for now.
    It is a beautiful one though. I think if you got one as big as that one, it would be easier to keep.
    Marcy

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, that big one is absolutely gorgeous. Wish I could've bought that one, but it wasn't for sale of course :(
    The one I bought is in a small clay pot (see pic above), and it has put on quite a few new leaves since I bought it. Actually, both that one and the variegated macrophylla have put on a lot of growth since I got them...the rigida I bought has done absolutely nothing! Macrophylla has grown a long new stem and about 4 new leaves...I just LOVE the leaf coloring on that one! Anyway, I was worried about the soil because it seems very peaty, but they clay pot seems to balance the moisture thing out. By the way, still no action on my serpens peduncles....how bout you Eddie?

Marcy, I would have to agree that sigillatis seems to like dryer conditions, since I've been treating it like most of my thicker-leaved hoyas and it has been thriving.

Gabi

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Another unique hoya that was shown to the group was Hoya australis ssp. rupicola. This is a very succulent variety of australis with thick fleshy leaves that sometimes split and crack open (as you'll see in some images). It supposedly blooms upright. This cutting came from Ted Green.

Enjoy,
    Eddie

Sponsored