Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

Hindu Rope Hoya not doing well

Lamora
9 years ago

Hi all, havent been here a while, new set up and everything I see.. :)

I have a Hindu Rope Hoya that I have had in the same pot and soil now for a little over 2 yrs. It seemed to have stopped growing, has not flowered yet (but that may take a bit longer from what I am understanding) But the leaves are turning yellow then brown and dying off. There was a point there a month or so ago that it was shriveling up, so we soaked it for a few hours and that seemed to help. but this has been going on now for a while. I don't think it is root bound.

I am not sure what to do for it except maybe put in new soil? I read that they don't like change in soil or repotting.. would it hurt it to change to new soil at this point?

It was fed a few weeks ago, around the first of the month, first time in a while for feeding my plants (my bad, i know)

I love this plant, was one of the first ones I got when i started this thing. But I just don't know how to help it.

Any advice or sugestions would be greatly accepted..
Marjie-- long lost member, trying to come back... ;)

Comments (5)

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Hi Marjie, wb!

I know it can be hard to take a picture, but it's really hard for us to diagnose your situation without looking at the plant, so you should post one if you are able.

First of all, I wouldn't give so much weight to that whole "they don't like change" advice. Every time you change something, your plant needs to adjust. So of course you need to be thoughtful about the changes you make. (Repot in the spring, adjust to higher light gradually, not switch potting medium willy-nilly, etc.) But that doesn't mean you should be afraid of change. Just think of your Hoya like a cat. Most cats don't enjoy big changes (like moving) because they are cautious animals and need time to adapt. But small changes that make life better for them are welcomed, and if the cat is not healthy, then you should change the offending variable immediately!

Case in point, your plant is not healthy. Forget about flowering and pot size. If a Hoya drops a few leaves but stops within a week, no big deal. If a Hoya continues to drop leaves week after week, there is a BIG problem because that is not normal Hoya behavior. Hoyas grow leaves slowly, so most species don't drop them casually. 99/100 the problem is the roots are bad.

I haven't seen your plant, so I don't know for sure what the problem is. Maybe it has a bad pest infestation or something like that. Check for that first (don't forget the possibility of root mealies). But if you can't detect any pests, then I am thinking you need to re-root it ASAP.

Take as many healthy cuttings as possible. Put them in a pot of fresh medium, with at least one node (bump where the leaves grow from) in contact with the soil. Put a clear plastic bag over the whole thing, and put the pot in a spot where it receives only indirect or artificial light. (If you put it in direct light, the mini-greenhouse will get too hot and it will cook.) You can just put the bag over the top and secure it loosely at the base with a rubber band or put the whole pot inside a large bag and zip it closed (blowing fresh air in once a day). Or if you have a clear tupperware or terrarium, I find that works even better (leave the top cracked open).

Your plant will grow new roots and all will be well again.

This post was edited by greedyghost on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 16:19

• Lamora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

let's see if i remember how to post a photo-- lol

this is what i looks like-- only 3 vines, but they all are getting like this.

does this help?

• Lamora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I re-potted it, the roots look great! Not soggy or soft or anything bad. Put it in a slightly larger pot, but not much larger, just a bit taller. I did not see anything wrong with the roots, no bugs or anything. So I don't know what would be causing this.

I am going to water it with filtered water from now on tho, I think may be it is the water itself. My DH hates doing that, "takes too much time" he says. But NOW they are MINE again! lol.. but i do have to admit, he did do what needed to be done when I couldn't... :)

• Lamora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know it is only a few days, but he isn't doing well, in fact, he seems to be getting worse. I don't really want to cut it back if i don't have to, but if it comes to that, I will. The soil I put in it was from a Green House place, they make it themselves, perlite, coco fiber and peat moss. I added some more perlite to it. After a few days outside (not in sun) the soil is very moist, not soggy tho. I have been misting it in the mornings.

Am I doing right by this? I really don't want to lose it, one of my favorite plants.. ok, it IS my favorite plant. It just isn't doing well and I can't figure out why.

Thanks for any advice...
    Marjie

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Check the section of stem closest to the soil line. Scratch it and see if its still looking healthy.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!