Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Updates

moonwolf_gw
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here. I have lots going on right now (a busier schedule, no major medical issues or anything like that, thank goodness).

Xanadu (that's my garden) is in full bloom, and I just picked my first pickling cukes of the year this week, along with some cherry tomatoes (that are the size of plums!). I've been focusing on the theatre and cooking, and other things (trying to find a job, seeing if someone could start giving me driving lessons, etc., those two being a huge failure). My USB cable for my camera apparently doesn't want to work, so there'll be no pictures from me for a while. Anyways, onto the Hoya news.

I found a big, plain green carnosa (not an EA) for sale at Lowe's last month and it ensnared me in it's vines, begging me to take it home, so I did :-). It's growing like mad, and Nikki's just sitting there like a lump, not growing, but soaking up this sun and humidity that we've been experencing. I haven't fed my plants much this year, but they have been getting rainwater when I water them. So, I think I'll give them a dose of tomato fertilizer (MG) the next time I water them (all the flowering houseplants I have love it).

My other big project is my costume for Halloween this year. LOTS of work going into this one, and my friend and I haven't even started on it yet. She's better at sewing than I am. I hope it's a success like my costume for last year was.

Hope everyone and their plants are doing well!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (3)

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Hi Brad,

I'm happy to hear Xanadu is in a happy uproar. Do you do pickling/fermenting of your crops? I'm just getting ready to make my first batch of kimchi, although I can't grow the cabbage on my own.

Looking for a job is one of the most fatiguing things in life, right up there next to moving. The only positive side to it is that everyone knows just how it feels. It seems like it will never be over, and yet, it eventually is. :)

How come Nikki isn't growing for you? Is she still recovering from the mealies?

Let's see⦠what might you be going to Halloween as this year? Is it... Harold from Harold & Maude?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi GG,

I've only made refrigerator pickles with my cucumbers, otherwise they're eaten fresh. My dill didn't grow this year, so no fresh heads of dill for in the jars if I make dills. I hope your kimchi turns out well! Dad can't stand the smell of it (he's visited Korea years ago while in the Army Reserves). My one neighbor gave us two cabbage plants, which I have planted next to the cukes and they have been growing like mad!

Still remaining positive about finding a job and learning to drive, because it's all I can do at this point. I hate to sound like I'm making excuses all the time, so I apologize to you all whom I've complained/worried about those things.

Nikki's still battling mealies, but she's still staying green, which is a good thing. I had to restart the carnosa Tammy (tigerdawn) sent me since it looked like it was it's on it's last legs. I gave away a pot of fungii cuttings I took last year to two friends the other day (from the theatre, a mother and daughter, the latter who volunteers there and is only a couple years younger than myself). I also gave a cutting to the costume mistress, who has a slew of houseplants in her home and a large garden outdoors.

As for my costume, it is a fictional character, somewhat recent. Well, similar to them, anyway. Genre: Fantasy.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I am on the hunt for just a few cuttings that I would like to have for myself and my one best friend (GG, that would not be Shaun but his cousin, whom I just gave some beginner houseplants to, including a Compacta/Hindu Rope).

Mainly, I am looking for pubicalyxes, with "Red Buttons" topping the list (I have a small plant of it, but it's not growing much-just staying green). *sighs* What is it about the pubicalyxes that I love so much?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars271 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz