Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srednicki_gw

Please help me identify the 3 hoyas I have

srednicki
14 years ago

I have 3 hoyas I'd like to identify ..

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good picture of the one with blooms.. the bloom is a deep purple with no scent

Thanks

Comments (15)

• Denise
    14 years ago

First one looks like wayetii (or some call it kentiana). The second may be a clone of carnosa, but the leaves look awfully small and consistently heart-shaped. 'Chelsea' is a variety of carnosa with heart-shaped leaves, but they'e typially a little bigger and (for me) a darker green. But I don't grow mine outside, so that could account for both the lighter-colored & smaller leaves. The third is probably australis ssp. tenuipes.

Nicely grown plants!

Denise in Omaha

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Looks like first one is H. kentiana.
    Second one is H. mathilde.
    Third looks like H. australis tenupe(bad spell) but hard to tell until it flowers.

• klyde
    14 years ago

I'm not so sure if that is Mathilde. The leaves look larger than mine, and more heart-shaped than my Mathilde. Could be wrong...

Kelly in Victoria

• PRO
    14 years ago

Here is my mathilde, the other one could be sister plant(I can't remember the name)if it's not mathilde.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

NICE Mathilde Jan...thanks for sharing!

• cldheath44
    14 years ago

I agree that the first one looks like H. kentiana, second one H. 'Mathilde', and third one H. australis tenuipes. I have H. 'Mathilde' from two different sources, one with smaller leaves than the other. Sister cultivar to 'Mathilde' is 'Chouke', but those leaves are more pointed than 'Mathilde'.

• klyde
    14 years ago

It is a very nice Mathilde, I agree. Maybe mine has smaller leaves since it is so young, or is the smaller leaved one.

Can I ask you two since you both have Mathilde what their blooming habits are like? In another post, someone told me that it is like other carnosa's (I know that is a parent) but I don't have a carnosa, and don't know what their blooming habits are like either.

Kelly in Victoria

• PRO
    14 years ago

Kelly, mine bloomed for the second time this year. I live in a sub tropic, I think mine blooms more often then most areas.
    My carnosa bloom year around with a rest every now and then.

• srednicki
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!!

• cldheath44
    14 years ago

Kelly,

Both my plants are still very small, so I haven't seen blooms yet. I've read though that 'Mathilde' is a much better bloomer than her sister 'Chouke'.

• klyde
    14 years ago

Oh that is very encouraging. I acquired Mathilde at considerable cost, and then read on one site later that they felt Chouke was the superior plant. I just like the smaller leaves and speckled look of Mathilde. I would be over the moon if it flowered for me regularly. I find it a very decorative plant even without blooms, but with...oh la la. I also acquired one of its parents, serpens, and you can really see where some of the genes came from. I hear that serpens has the loveliest blooms, and large in comparison to the leaves. Don't know what to expect with that little monkey, hear that it can be tempermental. Well anyway, thanks for the tips and info.

Kelly in Victoria

• John.49
    11 years ago

This is John again. I visited the local nursery. They had a hoya with the fuzz on the leaf and I wasn't sure if I had it or not. I have a nummularioides, but the stem part seemed to be more woody than mine. Is there another one with a leaf similar to mine? I will go back and get it if it is different. Oh, the guy at the nursery called his hoya man while I was there to bring more of the not so common ones 4.95 each. He also gave me two cuttings of the one I wasn't sure about, so nice. Just wanted to share my good find. Thanks guys if you can help.
    Kindest regards
    John

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi John, I used to have H. nummularioides and if remember correctly they do have fuzzy leaves. The other that your cuttings might be is either hoya serpens although the vines on mine aren't woody, might also be australis ssp australis that one has fuzzy leaves too.

Here's a picture of the leaves of australis ssp australis you can see they have fuzzy leaves...

Hoya serpens...much smaller leaves but fuzzy leaves as well.

$4.95 is a Great price especially if you can get some of the ones that aren't as common...good luck!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

If the leaves look very similar to the nummularioides then it probably is another nummularioides. The vines of this and many other Hoyas start out looking pliant and colorful and then get grey and woody as they mature.

There are a fair number of fuzzy Hoyas but the only one I can think of offhand that would be anywhere in the size range of nummularioides is maybe DS-70, burtoniae, or coronaria (pink),

• John.49
    11 years ago

Thanks guys, guess I will go tomorrow and buy it. It was a large plant for 19, I thought it was a good price. I will hang it and watch it bloom. You know me, got it bad.
    John

Sponsored