Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrynsmom

There's a sale!

wrynsmom
13 years ago

Okay, Joni has all of her "Ready to Buy" plants for $10!!!!

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: SRQ Hoyas

Comments (31)

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

ENABLER!!!!!!

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hehehe I do try! :)

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hehehe I do try! :)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Oh dear...

I need an intervention. I've been thinking lately that it's a bad sign when you won't even admit to your fellow enthusiasts how many plants you're acquiring.

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Carolyn, shame on you! LOL

What's bad is she has cv. Sunrise, one of the ones on my want list. There are other ones tempting me like calycina, memoria and dischorensis.

Sigh, if space wasn't an issue with us hoya growers....

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I ordered chlorantha and parasitica variegata! Yay!

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woohoo! Go, TG!!!!

I ordered:

H. parasitica variegata
    H. incrassata "Moonshadow"
    H. neo-budica
    H. sp. square leaf
    H. sp. Thailand

and that is IT! I'm done! hahaha

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

AAAAARGH!! Why oh why can't I have more room? I'm going to have to go look anyway... of course ; P

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Of course you will, Quinn!!! There's ALWAYS more room for $10 hoyas! mwah-ha-ha-ha (evil laugh)

Carolyn

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Okay, yes, I put in an order. Why wouldn't I just because my last order from her arrived yesterday and I've already put in a small Forest Treasures order? I might as well just move in next door to Joni so she can cart over her whole inventory with ease.

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OOOOOO! What did ya order?!?

And, yes, we all need to move to FL, so Joni won't have to make so many trips to the post office!

hahahaha

Carolyn

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Hoya aff. arnottiana
    hoya camphorifolia
    Hoya flavida (IML 0423)
    Hoya pauciflora
    Hoya pottsii IML 0022
    Hoya rigida IML 1424

(blush!)

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OOOOOOO! GG . . .so YOU'RE the one who bought my pottsii 0022! hahaha I guess I'll let it slide, this time . . . ;)

Very nice selection. I don't feel so bad, now, that I bought five. At least SOMEONE bought more than me!!!! hahaha

Carolyn

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

(/checks time signatures) omg You're right! I did steal your pottsii! I do feel bad! What a sweetheart you are for posting the link before you even decided on your purchase. I'd assumed you'd already made your selections.

...of course, if I'd ordered later, then YOU would have been the one with 6 plants and I would've been the one feeling less self-indulgent with 5!

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do enjoy it!!!! No, I had already paid, but I went back because I realized I had ordered a "wrong" plant, and was going to get the pottsii. Such is life . . . I'm sure it will have a fabulously happy home with you!!!! ;)

Did you read the description on her "collection" page? blue green flowers?! To die for!!!!

Carolyn

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Uh oh. I posted a response last night, but it isn't showing up now, so hopefully it won't reappear later and make me look stupid.

I did notice the blue green flowers in the description of the pottsii 0022. I spent a long time researching IMLs for pottsii and flavida that night. Green flowers are my personal favorite, so I couldn't ignore such a tantalizing image even though I couldn't find pictures anywhere.

Maybe someone here has an image of 0022 in bloom. (/pokes dmichael)

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

I, too, was obsessed with this particular pottsii at one time... that I know of no one has ever gotten a picture of the flowers being blue green and the flower color can vary depending on the environment. GG- you may have to recreate an Australian climate in your home and let us know what happens! I only suggest it because I feel you may be the most likely to give it a shot!

I, too, took the plunge and ordered.....Yippeee!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Kelly that's very true, flower colour has a lot to do with the minerals and pH of the soil and possibly other factors.

I feel slightly better seeing as a box of cuttings arrived today from Paul Shirley. If I were in the US you can bet I would be ordering from Joni as well. I got Hoya sp Thailand GPS 1803 (rigida?), Hoya burtoniae and Hoya sp Palawan GPS 9076 (aff. benguetensis).

Mike

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

I have a KING sized basket of hoya pottsii IML 0022 that is now at least 8 years old. To this day I have not seen it bloom !!! Though last year it produce a few peduncles,they never matured and fell off. So it still remains to be seen if that flower is actually blue/green as David Liddle said it was!!!

David

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

What did you get, Kelly?

Wow now there's a challenge if I ever heard one!

McIlwraith Range: (1) Exceptionally high overnight temperatures (2) Daytime temperature, wind speed, humidity, rainfall all above average (for Australia) (3) Has a wet and dry season (4) Day temp: 86-93F Night temp: 68-73F (5) Humidity between 70-80%.

What is the McIlwraith Range like, I asked myself. Let's ask Robert Logan Jack Three Centuries of Exploration, Discovery and Adventures in and Around the Cape York Peninsula, Queensland.

An excerpt:

We ascended a nearly bare ridge (about 800 feet high) between the two branches of the river. A quarter of a mile up the river brought us abreast of one of the most imposing waterfalls in Queensland. [1] A sheet of white foaming water dashed down from a large tributary over the left wall of the valley of the southern branch of the Peach. There must be a fall of at least 500 feet in a quarter of a mile.

In a quarter of a mile more we reached the summit of the ridge, and could see to the east for about 2 miles over SCRUBBY MOUNTAINS with a fringe of large hoop-pines standing up against the sky. This range, forming the DIVIDE OF THE PENINSULA between the heads of the [South] Coen and the Peach on the one hand, and the east coast on the other, I named the MCILWRAITH RANGE, in honour of the present Premier [afterwards Sir Thomas McIlwraith, now deceased.ÂR. L. J.].

The banks of the river and of all its tributaries were clothed with DENSE SCRUB, with palms and vines. The latter made travelling very toilsome and even painful.

Coming home, we crossed the northern branch of the river, and came down the ridge on the north side to the camp.

The defiles of the river, and almost all the high country crossed on foot, were composed of a fine-grained grey granite with black mica, and singularly devoid of reefs. It is evidently not from this quarter that the gold in the lower reaches of the river has been derived. My firm belief is that it must come from well back on the tableland, and that only fine light gold has been able to escape through the gorges into the low country.

Okay, so at least I won't need to put gold dust in its mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thank you, Gutenberg

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Ooo. Thanks for the response, David! How exciting that you've been growing it successfully for so long. It must be spectacular at that size! Too sad about your peduncles, though. After eight (7?) years, that must have been a blue day.

Mike, I love your selections. Regarding the relationship between soil ph/minerals and blooms: Theoretically, could you tinker with the medium on a repotting and see a different color bloom the next year?

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

GG I am not sure just how much this affects most Hoyas but it is common with some to have different coloured blooms from year to year or even within a season. Temperature during bloom time also plays a role as some plants have weak colour during heat stress while others might show the opposite response. For horticultural purposes I don't think it's worth tinkering too much because you would need to know the mineral etc that are responsible for the colour change. Some plants concentrate certain elements and that is why certain vegetables are high in calcium etc and a good choice for healthy diets. Some root vegetables can actually become slightly toxic if soils are too high in elements like Selenium if they are known for concentrating that element. Hydrangeas are the perfect example of pH and it's effects on bloom colour.

Mike

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! I can't wait to get those plants! It's like Christmas, every time I open a new box. :)

Yippee!!!

Carolyn

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

GG-
    Keep us posted with pics of the renovations!

I ordered...Hoya cagayanensis, globulifera, and affinis. Wanted vitiensis as well, but I was too late in ordering!

Ordered the 18" bamboo hoops as well!
    Can't wait!

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi
    With every one putting in a order to joni.I also want new hoyas and Its a bit to expensive for us in Canada to order from her but I am ordering from Botanovo.This is what I am getting.
    longifolia(neppal)
    magnifica
    parviflora
    pauciflora
    glabra
    rigida
    calycina ssp calycina

Cindy

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Whoops! Kelly, that was probably me. I ordered dischorensis and vitiensis. I actually wanted globulifera, but it wasn't in the list of ready to buy hoyas when I placed my order.

My cagayanensis is starting to put out new growth. Yippee! You will like it, it is quite pretty, in a more subtle way.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Not a problem! Joni said she has more vitiensis rooting. I happened to email around when Joni was updating, so she let me know to wait to order! Maybe we can do a trade later when globulifera grows up!

Betting I'll love cagayanensis - can't imagine how I've gone this long without it!

Kelly

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

w Mike. I guess I did make it sound a little bit like I was intending to do a long series of chemistry experiments with the innocent captive pottsii. Rest assured, my question was purely academic. Thanks for noting the role heat plays - I am interested to hear that it works in both directions.

Kelly, my cat will have you to thank for the new waterfall installation.

Parviflora looks so cunning, Cindy. Something makes it look like a little sea creature to me. Let me know whether it turns out to be especially lovable. ^_^

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

My new plants shipped today!!!!!! This is my first hoya order so I'm super excited!!

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mine did, too!!! It is exciting TG! Even after several orders . . .it's NEVER any less exciting!!!!

Hope you enjoy your pretty, pretty plants!!!

Carolyn

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, in case you missed it . . . Joni's sale is only going on til she sells 100 hoyas! HURRY!

Carolyn

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21