Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Hoya obscura Phillip

greedygh0st
9 years ago

Hi jjude2,

I'm just reposting your topic here. :)

Originally posted by jjude2 9 (My Page) on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 1:57
I'm new to posting so really don't know how all this works was just looking for info on obscura phillip.

Originally Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 15:41 Is that a type of Hoya? Am not familiar w/ that name, just Hoya obscura.
Whatever it is, how this works is pls. make a separate post for a new question, something with a question in the title like, perhaps:

"Anyone familiar w/ obscura philip? "

AND, Happy Birthday belatedly.

In answer to the questions:

Hoya obscura Phillip, for those who were wondering, is not an official cultivar name. It is currently distributed by Gardino Nursery and they have the following explanation for its name: This is a really nice H. obscura clone. We got this hoya from our friend Philip hence the name we gave it because we have not been able to find a correct ID for it. Philip donated the original plant to Fairchild Botanical Gardens in Coral Gables, FL (Miami). We really like this hoya because it is a great bloomer and blooms non-stop for us during the warmer months. It is also an early bloomer! The flowers are similar to Hoya obscura flowers, but they are much larger. The flowers are sometimes pink and sometimes more of a beige color. You can see many flower clusters on your plant at a time and they are fragrant. The leaves are also similar, but they are a little bit darker green and don't get as red as the regular H. obscura. The foliage is very pretty. Please feel free to e-mail us at info@rareflora.com if you have an idea or know the ID of this hoya. Most of the pictures you see were taken at Fairchild Gardens in the conservatory that they used to have.

Source: Gardino Nursery

jjude2, don't worry about not knowing how to create a new thread. I know, all forums are different and in this one it's a bit hard to find. On the main page, if you scroll all the way down to the bottom, there is a window for you to create new threads.

I assume you already read Gardino's page about this plant, and you're looking for more information on caring for obscura?

Hoya obscura is a super hearty Hoya that grows fast, blooms fairly quickly (for a Hoya), and very faithfully.

In my experience, obscura is one of those Hoyas that will slightly yellow its leaves when you make it mad (under/over-watering), and then actually green them up again! (Most Hoyas just drop them once they get yellow.) But obscura is just a drama queen and signals its discontent clearly. Despite this, I don't think it's at all "delicate" - it's quite easy to care for and it will grow you out of house and home.

If you give it A LOT of sun, then its leaves turn beautifully red, but it will bloom in less light, too (although all Hoyas like high light, so don't interpret this to mean it will bloom in low light conditions.)

Hope this helps but if you have more specific questions please ask - your original post was a little vague. :X :)

This post was edited by greedyghost on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 16:45

Comment (1)

• Denise
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I got one of the 'Philip' clones a couple years ago when I nearly lost my regular obscura. I did have one little cutting of it left that wasn't doing well and I knew I was going to miss it. Well, thankfully, that cutting made it and now it's a 4" potful I'm growing in a little birdcage. But I have to admit that the 'Philip' clone really is an aggressive bloomer. I like it a lot.

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH