Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

What's bloomin' today...

Denise
10 years ago

I've had my cv. 'Jennifer' for 5 years now and it's finally decided to bloom! It's large leaves have always impressed me with their veining...

...so I never really complained about the fact that it didn't bloom. They're cute flowers, though...

Much smaller than I would have imagined - the whole cluster is maybe 2" across. I would call them medium sized. This closeup shows new buds forming right behind the ones that are open!

Megalaster has been a real problem child ever since I've had it. It puts on growth, then promptly aborts the new leaves the minute I so much as breath on them. Ends up with long leafless vines, which I cut back to try to encourage some new growth. The rather old plant is still very small because so few leaves have made it to maturity. But I've always liked it and wished it were easier because the leaves are almost black when given enough sun. Well, a few weeks ago, I noticed it developing this little peduncle on the long leafless vine I hadn't gotten around to whacking off. Of course, with my history with this one, I had little faith it would turn out well, so I ignored it and didn't get my hopes up. But it grew, and grew, and grew...

From the top...

I'm thinking, "Whoa! Those are getting BIG!" And today, they started to open!...

Individual flowers are an inch across!...

To put it mildly, I'm pretty excited!

Denise in Omaha

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions