Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's bloomin' today...

Posted by denise 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 16:56

I've had my cv. 'Jennifer' for 5 years now and it's finally decided to bloom! It's large leaves have always impressed me with their veining...
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
...so I never really complained about the fact that it didn't bloom. They're cute flowers, though...
Much smaller than I would have imagined - the whole cluster is maybe 2" across. I would call them medium sized. This closeup shows new buds forming right behind the ones that are open!

Megalaster has been a real problem child ever since I've had it. It puts on growth, then promptly aborts the new leaves the minute I so much as breath on them. Ends up with long leafless vines, which I cut back to try to encourage some new growth. The rather old plant is still very small because so few leaves have made it to maturity. But I've always liked it and wished it were easier because the leaves are almost black when given enough sun. Well, a few weeks ago, I noticed it developing this little peduncle on the long leafless vine I hadn't gotten around to whacking off. Of course, with my history with this one, I had little faith it would turn out well, so I ignored it and didn't get my hopes up. But it grew, and grew, and grew...
From the top...
I'm thinking, "Whoa! Those are getting BIG!" And today, they started to open!...
Individual flowers are an inch across!...
To put it mildly, I'm pretty excited!

Denise in Omaha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's bloomin' today...

Wow Denise Megalaster is Gorgeous!!! I love it!!

o

both are beautiful!!!

o

Congratulation!! Beautiful flowers.
I had one big "Megalaster' also, and it was blooming in March,. . I was hoping for few years to see the flower, it turn out : not 'Megalaster' but 'Macgilvrayii'. The leaves is a little smaller than Mac., that why I can not regconize it.
Now I don't know what to do with it, I had 2 big Mac. already :(
sue

o

Hi Sue,

You're lucky, though. I've grown my macgillivrayii for over 7 years with nary a flower. It produces peduncles occasionally, but they never develop any buds. The leaves on mac are much prettier than on megalaster, IMO.

I love how glossy the flowers are on the megalaster. It's a beauty! I don't detect any scent, though...

Denise in Omaha

o

Wow Denise those are some gorgeous blooms!! LOVE Megalaster...it really is stunning!! Congrats!!

o

Love,Love your megalaster,I have a cutting of this hoya for over a year and it just sits there doing not a thing .

o

thanks for sharing your beautiful blooms Denise!

o

• Posted by Klea 4b (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 17:39

Such beautiful pictures of such stunning flowers! I love those dense, round balls of flowers that some hoyas produce - like the one on your cv. 'Jennifer'. Does it have a scent?

Your megalaster is beautiful too. Shiny, waxy flowers - and I really like the color! I can see why you are excited!!

o

What to do when you recieve your cuttings?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here