Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery hoyas

Posted by quinnfyre z7 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 17:09

I picked up a pot of what looked like hoyas at the grocery store last week, or maybe the week before. I decided to repot it a couple days afterward, and it turned out that it was a mixed pot of small hoya cuttings. Pretty fun for a $2 pot from the grocery store. But I'm not sure what they are.

#1: Has pointed leaves, visible veins, felted back. 2 views.

Mystery hoya #1

Mystery hoya #1

#2: Rounded leaves, smooth back.

Mystery hoya #2

#3: Pretty sure this is Krimson Queen. It does have more stem and a node underneath the soil.

Mystery hoya #3

#4: This one looks biggest, and has some hints of new growth. Longer, pointed leaves. Leaves seem to be twisting a bit as it grows. Seems to be a smooth backed one, but one of the older looking leaves feels ever so slightly felted. That could just be me, though.

Mystery hoya #4

Mystery hoya #4

#5: This is a pot of multiple cuttings, but these all seemed the same. Similar leaf shape to Krimson Queen, that pointed oval shape. Felted back to the leaves, very much like my Krimson Queen that I already owned.

Mystery hoya #5

Any clues as to what these might be? I'm guessing something fairly common, since I found it in the grocery store. They do look similar, especially in pics, but they really don't all seem to be the same type, due to differences in how they feel and slight variations on how they look. I could be wrong though. Any input would be great. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery hoyas

I'm guessing these are mostly various Carnosas, which can be highly variable as to leaf shape, rounded, pointy, some of both, really VERY variable.

Don't know about the pointy one, curious & very handsome. The more round edged ones remind me of Australis.

They sure look healthy & happy (tho' I might have potted them a bit smaller). They almost look like you put leaf shine on 'em.

Nice finds, may they prosper w/ you & enjoy!

o

What a fun find!

Kelly

o

I was thinking they were probably carnosas, but the only one I've ever had was Krimson Queen, and I didn't know if they could look that different from each other and still be the same carnosa, or if it meant they were different types. It doesn't really matter too much, I suppose. We'll see how they do.

They were all rooted cuttings, at least. It's hard to tell how small they are in the pics, but all of the little 1-2 leaved guys are in 2.5 inch pots, the smallest I have. I'm using a 2 oz condiment cup as a saucer. The bigger cuttings are in 3 inch pots. I did wipe them down with some neem oil solution. It works really well at getting off those mineral deposits from overhead watering. Plus I needed to see details, to help me figure out what they were. And if it helps with potential insect hitchhikers, even better.

Well, if they start looking similar in new growth, I may start putting some of them back together. It will probably be a while before I see any signs of a bloom, if they are carnosas and if the speed at which Krimson Queen is growing is any indication. At least if that one leafed cutting takes off, it has a friend it can join.

o

I would guess that they are most likely Hoya carnosa cuttings as well although the first one, the one with the hairy back to it's leaves might be something else.
You certainly got quite a selection of cuttings for a great price.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here