Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carnosa getting too much sun?

Posted by hermie3rd 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 17:16

Hi All,

This is my first summer with my Carnosa. My mom gave it to me, from a cutting she planted. It's never bloomed for her, and when I first got it, I posted pics on here and someone suggested to me that the leaves were really dark, which indicated not enough light. I decided this summer to move it outside, and it is on the east side of my house, shaded by a lilac. I just wanted to post a couple of pictures to see if it is looking okay.

There were a few damaged leaves, I removed them. Other than that, it is producing long "shoots" which you can see in the picture as I've sort of intertwined them with a stick that is in the pot. Also, I've taken a picture of where you can see one of the new "shoots" with some reddish leaves.

Can you please let me know if my plant looks okay? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carnosa getting too much sun?

Actually the reddish vines are common on new growth. Your plant really looks great. TFS

o

I've seen them get a bit washed out looking with a lot of sun. On the other hand they tend to bloom A LOT when in the full sun.

o

Looks beautiful to me. One thing I have to caution is about dirt. Sounds crazy I know but when we moved south I put mine on the porch near a not too busy road. I was shocked to find out it had accumulated black road dirt. It can only be removed with alcohol and Q tips. I have been back north for 2 years now and still cleaning the dirt from my hoyas. They grow like weeds outside though so that is a plus.

o

NB - Interesting. Mine is actually in between a lilac bush that shades it and my house. Our house is pretty far from the road, so I think it should be okay. But I will definitely keep an eye out for that!

Thanks for your input everyone! I had my hoya rope next to this guy, and it didn't fare so well in the shade. I don't know if maybe it was in a spot that it received dappled sunlight, because a lot of its leaves burned, which I have removed. It is producing new growth though, so I brought it back inside, cut off a few branches to re-root (just in case) and have it where it receives filtered light throughout the day. It was in the same spot before I moved it outside and doing well, so hopefully it makes a full recovery!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here