Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Hoya sp Khao Laem

mdahms1979
12 years ago

Is anyone growing Hoya sp Khao Laem? This Hoya was collected in the Khao Laem National Park in Thailand and as far as I know it is fairly new to collectors. If anyone is growing this Hoya would you be able to compare your plant with mine so I can get a better understanding of what I might have?

This is a Hoya I got a year or two ago from Paul Shirley under the name Hoya sp GPS 3762. The lanceolate leaves are soft and fleshy with the occasional fleck. The midrib of the leaf is visible and often slightly raised. The average leaf measures about 4" in length and just under 1" at it's widest point. The leaves often develop in groups but I am not sure if this is due to the plant stopping and starting growth or if this is it's actual growth habit. This is unquestionably one of my favorite Hoyas but I know so little about it.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sp Kaho Laem photo from the web

Comments (10)

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

Beautiful plant, but I don't grow it. It is just another plant to put on the wishlist. :( I wish I could order from Paul Shirley because he has some plants that we can't get here in the states.

Michelle

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Mike,

I have seen the sp. Khao Laem on Ebay and to me it looks to be much the same as EPC 229 sp. RCBR-sp-YKL clone A

david

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

David I can only hope that it turns out to be the same as Hoya sp EPC 229, especially the YKL variety. When I first saw photos of that Hoya it was love at first sight, what a beauty!

Michelle Paul Shirley does have a nice selection of Hoyas but I can't think of many that you could not get in the US. SRQ has such a huge range of species available now that I feel the same as you. Canada has virtually no Hoya vendors and the ones we do have only sell very common species so almost all our cuttings come form overseas.
    Is there a specific species you are looking for?

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Lovely plant. Do you find it easy to grow, Mike? I have to say I'm almost hoping/wishing it is a slightly distinct plant from EPC 229, because then we'd have two equal beauties instead of one. The leaves and growth remind me of litoralis. How would you contrast the two?

But I agree that it looks very similar to EPC 229 and Khao Laem National Park is in western Thailand. David, you really do seem to keep a comprehensive catalog of all the rarities and who has them up in your noggin.

I selected EPC 229 sp. RCBR-sp-YKL clone A in this Epiphytica order, so maybe I'll be able to compare notes with you after it's been in my hands for a while.

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

Mike,
    Right now I am on the hunt for Mitrata, elliptica, kalimantan, guning gading, and pandurata. I contacted Joni and Ted Williams about pandurata and elliptica but they do not have any available. I do have a mitrata coming from greenthumb3000 but I don't trust US customs so I am kind of worried about it getting here safely.

Michelle

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG I have found this Hoya to be easy to grow and there have been no problems whatsoever. This photo may be a little misleading as this Hoya does not seem to have and climbing abilities that I have noticed so far. Hoya litoralis does share a similar leaf shape but I have never grown this species so it's hard to compare other characteristics. Does your litoralis have a raised midrib and soft fleshy leaves or are they more stiff like sp Haruku?
    I would love if you could eventually share photos of the species you mentioned for comparison. I did email Mr. Shirley so hopefully he has some collection data for this species.

Michelle Hoya sp Kalimantan and Gunung Gading will be harder to find but the others can be purchased from Thailand if you would consider importing a small number of cuttings. Hoya Gunung Gading I believe is callistophylla. I would also recommend checking Ebay because there is a great selection of species available inside the US.

Mike

• tammypie
    12 years ago

It's absolutely beautiful!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

My litoralis has soft fleshy leaves, but the midvein is actually slightly depressed. It also is a hanging vine although I similarly have mine propped up. When the Epiphytica order comes through I'll definitely keep you updated with photos. I'd love to compare notes. ^_^

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is a nice Hoya, very clean in it's growth habit. I do think your plant has leaves that are quite flat where as mine has slightly folded leaves. Nothing against Hoya litoralis but I really want mine to be sp. Khao Laem instead. LOL
    Thanks for posting that photo for comparison.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness. I wasn't suggesting they were the same plant - merely possessing some pleasant similarities. Definitely two different plants. ^_^'

Yes, the leaves on this one are fairly flat. Some of them are softly curved, but nothing so distinct and consistent as those of your plant.

Clean lines is a good way of putting it. I always feel so restful looking at Hoyas of this ilk.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler