Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana_gale_gw

Rooting Hydro questions

Diana_Gale
10 years ago

I am loving this Youtube video about semi-hydro Hoya growing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeWLOUj14zk

Doug is using very long vines, some with very few leaves on them.

I have always made small cuttings by removing as much of the vine as I can, but retaining leaves and enough vine to get the cutting well into the water.

My questions are:

1) will these long vines put on new leaves in the middle, or just on the ends?

2) is there a good reason for keeping them that I am not understanding? (I don't find a very long, skinny vine with a leaf every 4 inches very attractive, but if there is a good reason, I need to change how I do it!)

4) When Doug took the plant out of the large plastic bag, there were air roots everywhere. Is that a good thing? Can they be trimmed off without hurting the plant or preventing flowering? It seems unattractive.

-- Why wouldn't he just wrap the bag around the container and the first few inches of the vines sticking up, rather than the entire plant?

5) Does anyone use semi-hydro with a hanging plant?

Comments (3)

• rennfl
    10 years ago

Only have an answer to number 5, but I do have some hanging plants in S/H.

Renee

• monet_g
    10 years ago

What a wonderful video. I've been thinking of trying S/H and you've aided my courage. Thank you for sharing!

I'll have a go at your questions -

1 & 2 - Long vines with developed leaves will not produce leaves in between, but should produce leaves further up the vine and not just on the end. As the plant grows, and you wrap it around the trellis, these voids are hidden by the newly wrapped vines and leaves. Keep in mind, too, that newer leaves are smaller. As the leaves mature the void will be less apparent.

These new vines are where new peduncles will form. If you cut them off you will lose the promise of bloom. ( A mistake I (and many others) made on my first hoya ;-).

4 - The number of air roots were caused by the high humidity from being in the plastic bag. Once the plant is removed from the humid environment they will shrink and become less evident. I never remove any normal/healthy growth, which I consider air roots to be, on a plant. It just opens wounds that can lead to problems.

The entire plant goes into the bag so that all of it stays hydrated. If it didn't, there was a good chance that the ends/tips would dry up and die. Doug mentioned that he lost only one leaf on the two plants. That's mostly due to being completely covered.

If anyone has different opinions, thoughts/suggestions feel free to add to my comments. Any corrections will only add to my knowledge. :-)

Gail

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

What a wonderful list of questions, Diana. You've given us a lot to think about.

1. In my experience a Hoya will produce leaves or new vines from any node, it just seems to prefer developing those near the growing tip. Still, it will often return to an old node, even sprouting vines from nodes beneath the soil. I think a new growing point is actually more common from these lower nodes than mere leaves. Gail makes a lot of excellent points about how bare nodes quickly become less obvious, and I couldn't agree more! I never underestimate a node - they have too much potential to be discarded.

2. One thing you can do with a cutting like this is wind it in a loop along the surface of the soil, so that the bare nodes can all grow roots down into the soil, giving you a much richer root structure. That way you don't have to throw away a good node, but you don't have to start with a leggy plant either.

3. Where did three go?! ;)

4. I agree with Gail about the open wounds. Usually when you take a plant into less humid conditions, the air roots will die and dry out. So, you can bide your time and then trim the dead matter away without exposing any living flesh. I think this would be best.

Yeah, it's really the leaves you want to shield from too much moisture loss while the roots are developing. This is most critical with thin-leaved species, but high humidity really helps boost the pace of rooting and growth in all Hoyas.

Sponsored