Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgette77

rooting hoya kerrii

georgette77
18 years ago

I have rooted a cutting last year and it is doing quite nicely, but my question regards a leaf that I stuck in the pot at the time I rooted the cutting, this leaf has rooted, but it doesn't appear to want to grow any further, will this ever become a plant on its own or is it a lost cause??

Comments (16)

• lydia
    18 years ago

When I first bought my kerrii, a few of the leaves had "black spot" I cut the 5 diseased leaves off but couldn't get my self to throw them away so, I potted them up. 2-3 yrs later they cured them selves from "black spot" & also just grew a stem. I'll try to post a picture later on. Patience is the key.

• lydia
    18 years ago

Here's the pic

• canttype
    18 years ago

That is sooo COOL!

There is a lot of debate here as to if single leaves will sprout stems..... guess so! Seems there might be a glimmer of hope for all of us who bought those single Heart shaped Kerrii leaves at Valentines Day;-)

Thanks for the picture.
    Diane

• User
    18 years ago

It's not a common experience, I believe Lydia's happy circumstance is the first I've heard of it happening since this Hoya Forum was opened (2 yrs. maybe).

That said, I will confess that I have a leaf of H. obscura stuck in the base of another plant, trying it anyway.

From prior discussions on this (& what I recall of them), it seems that it helps to have a bit of the stem or petiole on the leaf (I'm not sure which, I think stem).

I have kept leaves going to try this for over a year (when it rotted) trying this experiment, so certainly, you have nothing to lose by trying. Just pls. know that it can take a VERY long time (2-3 yrs. if I get Lydia's above comment right) if it happens at all.

But good luck anyway!

• CanadianCeedub
    18 years ago

What happened? I posted yesterday afternoon in this thread and its not here! This is very strange.

Anyway what I said was that kerrii will root from a leaf, it's one of the only hoyas that will. It will, however take at least a year, and likely longer for it to send out a new stem, as Lydia has shown with her picture. I currently have two variegated h kerrii leaves that I put in soil not too long ago. One must be so incredibly patient with hoyas to begin with, but experiments like this really, really try he patience. But they're worth it!!
    Christine

• onca156
    18 years ago

I removed two all-white leaves from the kerrii cutting I had and placed them in soil, would they possibly root without chlorophyll?

• acsagapeplants
    18 years ago

While this isn't a hoya kerrii, it did root from the leaves. It's a hoya macrophylla that I potted the leaves about 8 months ago. Both leaves rooted and as you can see, it's grown two vines. Never say never:-.

Agape,
    Awanda

Here is a link that might be useful: macrophylla

• Denise
    18 years ago

From my experience, Hoya leaves root readily. However, it's my understanding that only those that get some (even a bit, probably...) of the main stem will actually (eventually...) produce new growth. I always insert a perfectly healthy, accidentally knocked-off leaf back on the soil with the main plant. They root at least 95% of the time. I have yet to have any produce new growth (and, BTW, I've been doing this 25+ years...)

Lydia, I think it's likely that you got some "DNA" from the main stem, which is why you got some new growth. Congrats (I say with great envy!!) I'm now inspired to do an experiment with one of my larger Hoyas!

Denise in Omaha

• georgette77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info, mine has been in the pot for a year now and while it is definitely rooted, no other growth, I will wait though! Meanwhile the start that I had rooted has taken off, I have a two foot stem that seems to grow by the day :-)

• User
    18 years ago

Dear Onca,

Unlikely, from all I hear & read, all white cuttings have no chlorophyll to sustain them long enough for them to root. Then again, you could try it & report back & teach us otherwise? Sounds like an experiment to me!

• mommicked
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the info! TO a beginner like myself, I was having quite a few doubts about one that I also bought at Valentine's Day. There were 2 potted leaves and I have had it with nothing taking place. Of course, it isn't dead either.LOL It was just sitting there. I even repotted it as it was in a very tiny pot. Nothing. At least now I know that patience might be the key. THanks so much.
    Susan

• onca156
    18 years ago

Pirate Girl:

I'm not much of a teacher, and didn't mean to sound like one... :)
    You're right, the kerrii leaves turned to mush within a week after planting.
    But ending on a happy note, the all green kerrii planted in sand has a new leaf.. :)
    By the way, planting hoya leaves in sand I think is mentioned in FAQ

• onca156
    18 years ago

Sorry, meant to say rooting hoyas in sand is in FAQ.

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

That is my Hoya kerri leaf that grew a vine many many yrs ago....dont remember what ever happened to that plant lol

• Lydia Kennedy
    7 years ago

I do the same :)