Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a1pha_fema1e

New to Hoyas

a1pha_fema1e
10 years ago

Hello! I just got some plants from a Freecycler and thanks to the House Plants forum now know one of them is a Hoya. They told me to come here to ask how to care for it. She gave me 2 long cuttings. The only soils I have on hand at the moment are cactus/succulent and seedling/cutting soils. Which should I start with? Should I make the cuttings smaller? What do they like environment-wise? Thanks!
Sarah

Comments (8)

• Denise
    10 years ago

Hi Sarah and welcome to the world of Hoyas! You'll find all kinds of information here about growing them, so just take some time and read, read, read! It looks like you're starting out with what almost all of us begin with - a Hoya carnosa. Root the cuttings in soil - you can add perlite to the cactus soil, about 1/2 and 1/2. Put it in a warm, shady spot and keep it just damp and it will root quickly.

Best of luck with your cuttings!

Denise in Omaha
    \

• a1pha_fema1e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I put it in a bright room with ~30 minutes of crack of dawn direct light. I'll move it in my room with my prickly pear cactus, where it is not so bright :)

• teisa
    10 years ago

Hi,

Your H. carnosa looks very healthy. I even see (I think) a peduncle where it had bloomed recently. So be sure not to pull that off, they sometimes rebloom from there. I'm guessing it was grown previously in some pretty bright light. You can tell because the leaves are lighter green. That's the best growing conditions for blooming. Good luck!

-teisa

• teisa
    10 years ago

Hi,

Your H. carnosa looks very healthy. I even see (I think) a peduncle where it had bloomed recently. So be sure not to pull that off, they sometimes rebloom from there. I'm guessing it was grown previously in some pretty bright light. You can tell because the leaves are lighter green. That's the best growing conditions for blooming. Good luck!

-teisa

• Denise
    10 years ago

Yes, once it's rooted, you can move it back into some direct light. While it's rooting, shade will help it retain moisture in the leaves. And Teisa is right - leave that peduncle on. You have a very good chance at an early blooming with that there!

Denise in Omaha

• a1pha_fema1e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to know! Thanks!! Should I spray it to improve humidity?

• teisa
    10 years ago

Yes they certainly love humidity. So giving it a couple sprays per day will help speed up the rooting process. I even give my established ones mist to keep their leaves nice and plumb.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I don't spray my Hoyas, I prefer to use humidity trays.

Easy to make using just the plastic lid from pint of ice cream. Fill w/ small rocks or pebbles & place the plant ON top of this. When watered to overflow, this allows the plant to be sitting ON TOP OF, but not in the water & it can absorb as much as it wants w/out the mix becoming soggy (or risking rot).

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm