Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. calycina - black spot? overwatering? too cold?

Posted by Asterope Queensland, Australi (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 18:10

Hi all - I am just not having any luck keeping some of my hoyas alive!!

This time its my calycina... my favourite furry leaved critter :(
Last week I noticed that one of the stems had dried right through - now the leaves at the bottom of the cutting have their stems drying out. The whole cutting also looks like its drying out.

What could be causing this? I had some black spot on a few of my other hoyas (it has been very humid this winter) which I have treated successfully. A few of my warm hoyas had some leaves drop off which stopped after I took them inside - I have never seen this though!

I dont think I am overwatering them - I let the soil completely dry out between waterings and I dont mist them in winter (as I said, its been humid enough!!)

Any ideas? Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. calycina - black spot? overwatering? too cold?

If it's any conciliation I have had this very thing happen to my plant several times. I have not been able to figure out if this Hoya likes to be kept moist or slightly dry but I suspect that it might do best in a cramped pot. My plant always seemed to take a turn for the worse after I watered it. The damage looks fungal to me and I bet if it were in a very humid atmosphere you would see fungal spores covering the collapsed area.

Mike

o
RE: H. calycina - black spot? overwatering? too cold?

Hi Mike,

It is strange isn't it? I think you might be right with the fungal thing as my magnifica is also experiencing this (I just noticed this morning and took a cutting - hope I save it!)
Makes sense as you would get water trapped by those hairs and down at the base of the plant... I'll have to buy another calycina (and water it less) but i'll keep my magnifica in a small pot and see how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here