Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Hoyas and friends in bloom

mdahms1979
12 years ago

I have a couple of new Hoya species blooming at the moment. One is on it's second bloom cycle this month while the other is blooming for the first time.

This is Hoya obscura and I just can't seem to get a good photo. I think I am going to have to take the plant down to get a better perspective. There were three peduncles but one stem got too close to a grow light and cooked itself.

I got this plant with the name Hoya pusilla although there is apparently some doubt as to the proper ID. This is the first time blooming and there are two peduncles. I would highly recommend this plant because it's easy to grow, has beautiful flowers and a nice fragrance.

I also have a couple of orchids blooming at the moment so I thought I would share some photos. Both are in the genus Bulbophyllum so they are a bit eccentric when it comes to blooming time.

Bulbophyllum rothschildianum

Flower close-up of the movable lip used to trap insect pollinators.

This one is a first bloom seedling that was sold to me as Bulbophyllum fritillariflorum although it looks like it was misidentified. I believe this is Bulbophyllum ornithorhynchum.

A close-up showing the small ball shaped appendage that may function as a lure for insects. You will notice on the Bulbo rothschildianum the maroon coloured streamers serve the same function.

This one is Petrocosmea barbata which is a Gesneriad or member of the African Violet family. GG please don't laugh at it's less than compact growth habit. LOL

Another Gesneriad flower which belongs to a first bloom Kohleria Napoleon V plant.

The next two are both African bulbs. This is Eucomis comosa and I have two other Eucomis species in bud or bloom that I have yet to photograph.

This is Ornithogalum arabicum, a bulb with a very tall flower spike.

A small growing fragrant bulb called Albuca shawii. This one puts out a long spike of well spaced yellow flowers.

This last one is a Hoya relative called Tridentia chaonna. This is the second blooming for this plant and this time around the flower has all five points and is much larger.

Mike

Comments (18)

• ima_digger
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mike, what a great collection of blooms. I have some African Violets, and orchids, but not too many anymore. Your last picture of your Tridentia looks just like my Staplia giganta. Is it a related species? Also love your Petrocosmea. One of these days it may start to spiral. I'm on the lookout for one of those.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Mike, I love all your flowers.So nice of you to share with use.I have been wanting to get H.pusilla for a while. I will have to get it next time I order cuttings and your Tridentia chaonna is so cute.

Cindy

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Very Nice Mike....
    WOW some of those plant names are a mouthful!
    I love the one you have mounted and growing on your wall! Very cool!

• klyde
    12 years ago

So pretty...and wonderfully healthy looking.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ima-digger the Tridentia chaonna is a Stapeliad but just not actually in the genus Stapelia. The blooms are much smaller than Stapelia gigantea but quite similar to some of the small Stapelia species.

Cindy I got the Hoya pusilla last summer and it has been a very willing grower. You will love this one.

Golden that orchid usually hangs in my orchid case where it gets much higher humidity than my other plants. I find that many of my orchids bloom better when they get that extra little bit of humidity. I keep my Hoya imbricata and Dischidia imbricata in the case as well.

Thanks for the nice comments. :)

I forgot to add some bud photos earlier.

Hoya obscura

Hoya heuschkeliana subsp. cajanoae

Cyrtoceras floribundum is almost always blooming.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: The Stapeliads and Asclepiads group on Flickr

• urraca
    12 years ago

Mike lovely plants with their beautiful flowers. your hoyas are always a pleasure to see.
    Thanks for the lovely pictures.

• ricfl
    12 years ago

Wow...nice beautiful blooms!!

• suetran1
    12 years ago

Ve nice Bulbophyllum, I've grown this longtime ago, but can not keep up with this weather in NC.
    I like the African Eucomis comosa, is that easy to find?
    So lovely all of them.
    sue

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kelly, urraca and ricfl and Sue.

Sue the Eucomis came from a specialty nursery in British Columbia but I would recommend Plant Delights Nursery in Raleigh North Carolina. The Bulbs multiply and set seed so it's quite easy to propagate. The little Eucomis vandermerwei with it's purple spotted leaves is a favorite for sure but the flower spike is quite short.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Eucomis at Plant Delights

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Mike, thanks for those sites. Great pics on the Stapeliads site. I've added a few to my list. I seem to like the unusual. I have a few heurina too. Keep those pictures coming. Thanks.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Mike, actually, I really like that obscura photo (and the buds, too!) It really captures the delicacy in a different way. Now the pusilla, that's an adorable picture, and it really reminds me of why I bought this plant in the first place. Totally snugglepot/cuddlepie somehow. I just love the way the magenta peeps from behind the corona, too. So, what's the story on the ID being wrong on this plant?

The Bulbophyllum is very cool in its veiny beakyness. I like that a lot. Thanks a lot for showing us the picture of its lure! Fascinating!

& LOL idk what you've been doing to your barbata, but I'm not going to laugh (okay, I did, but in a sympathetic comrade sort of way ^_~) because then I'd have to be held accountable for the condition of some of my kohlerias. @_@ My barbata looks a lot tidier, but it hasn't bloomed for me yet and I've had it well over a year, so you've got that on me!

Now, my FAVORITE is your Ornithogalum arabicum! I just love the black and white. If I thought I could handle another sort of plant I'd be on this one like white on rice.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG I just can't get the plant on Apodagis.com site out of my mind. That Hoya pusilla complete with the photo of the Type and Holotype sheets and drawings make a convincing argument that the plant currently offered as Hoya pusilla may be a different species all together. Check out the link at the bottom of this page. This plant is on the my most wanted short list.

That Bulbophyllum is in the same section (Hyalosema) as that Hoya bandischii that is breaking my heart by always aborting it's blooming. Just yesterday the latest bloom spike withered up in it's early stages.
    The Bulbophyllum section Hyalosema

Ok I admit that I grew that Petrocosmea in the shadows of a horde of Hoyas. He's a little bit like a free living hippy/flowerchild in a genus that suggests more of well tailored suits. LOL

The Ornithogalum arabicum and my other bulbs are just stored dry and dormant in their pots over the winter in a cool place. In the spring I start to water carefully and then put outside after last frost and wait for leaves. This is a new species for me this year but I have about 15 or 20 different bulb species from around the world.

Another African bulb that flowered earlier this summer was Scadoxus multiflorus

I was discussing the name Cyrtoceras floribundum with Begonias4me and did a little searching so I thought I would post the results. Some of you may remember this photo from David Liddle's photo collection. The photo shows a comparison of a group of closely related species that are often confused. By looking at the outer tip of the corona scale plus some other characteristics you can see the differences between the plants.
    Here is the photo comparison

I did a search for Cyrtoceras floribundum on The Plant List at KEW and Hoya multiflora is listed as a synonym so as far as I know it is the accepted name along with it's sister species Hoya javanica and to the exclusion of Cyrtoceras floribundum. I wish I knew the details of the argument for and against the species status of Cyrtoceras floribundum.

ima-digger doesn't that Flickr group has some incredible photos! These are such fun plants to grow.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya pusilla on Apodagis

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Wow! Those are all beautiful Mike...what a wonderful collection of blooms. Thanks for sharing!

• lightning96
    12 years ago

Wow, Mike, those pics are amazing! Beautiful blooms you have there! I wish I could grow things as well as you do!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Pug and lighting96. :)

Mike

• tammypie
    12 years ago

AWESOME, Mike!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Interesting, Mike. I'd looked at those pusilla photographs before, and remember thinking that it seemed different, but I had other goals at the moment and didn't read through to the end.

Wow, that (Hyalosema) is a gorgeous section. Although I have to admit that I find it intensely irritating to look at orchid sites with their neat rows of (relatively) comprehensive information and accurate notes. ^_~

Haha. I can easily imagine Hoyas being a bad influence on Petrocosmeas.

I don't know why, since it seems rather nonsensical now, but I always thought of bulbs as off-limits for indoor growers. Are you growing them out on your balcony? I have to be cautious talking to you because you're always like the dealer saying, "Oh, if you like pot, you'll just love this yummy heroin."

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah orchid sites are full of info and there is just so much more detailed habitat info available if you know where to look. Then again orchid growing has a very long history, Hoyas not so much.

I do grow the bulbs outside on my balcony and then they get stored dormant inside for the winter. You have to make sure that you don't ge evergreen species if you will not have the space for them over the winter as many species are winter growing. There are some great bulbs that like shade as well so some are easy to grow and flower in lower light. One that I like for shade is the African Forest Lily Veltheimia bracteata but it is an evergreen species. I can't quite get my plants to flower well and I have broken the brittle spike off too many times to count.

Mike

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions