Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shiver_mn

It *can't* be peduncles...can it?

shiver
16 years ago

About two weeks ago I got 3 tiny multiflora cuttings from Rob's Violet Barn. I potted them up together in a six inch pot and set them in partial sun. Take a look at my pics...could those little balls be peduncles (there are three little balls total)? Since I've never seen any in person I can't be sure...and I can't imagine they could form on a cutting as small as mine. Am I crazy?

{{gwi:968733}}

{{gwi:968735}}

{{gwi:968737}}

{{gwi:968739}}

{{gwi:968741}}

{{gwi:968743}}

Comments (11)

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Yep...you've got peduncles. Congrats :)
    Multiflora is known for early blooms, and can easily grow peduncles on cuttings. Enjoy!

Gabi

• shiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, color me shocked! I remember in another post you told me multiflora was an early bloomer...but my cuttings only have 4-5 leaves on them for goodness sakes. How cool! :)

Thanks gabro.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

pretty exciting, isn't it?

• ines_99
    16 years ago

actually, i think it is a conspiracy put out by the hoyas themselves, it is their little way to rope you in... one plant "innocently" blooms extra early and you are hooked for life. I predict that by the time those flowers dry up and drop off, you will have 10 new hoyas and another 15 on the way, plus a want list of 187. Welcome to the club, and say goodbye to your savings and your window space!

• shiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think that's a good bet ines, considering what's already happened between myself and tropicals/african violets/orchids/succulents, and more---there's close to 200 gorgeous green things stuffed in my humble home. You can't believe the plants I had to move just to get a decent pic of that multiflora! I've already started putting several hooks in the ceiling for hoyas I don't even *have* yet. Help me---the insanity has hit! ;)

• epiforums
    16 years ago

ines_99,

OMG! You just told my life story! Multiflora/javanica was my first hoya to bloom, and after that...

- Eddie

• Denise
    16 years ago

Shiver,

Now, change the name on your label to javanica! If the quest for blooms doesn't drive you nuts, the name game will!

Denise in Omaha

• shiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Denise: Yep, I read Gabi's thread tonight and I do indeed have a javanica (not multiflora). Craziness!

Eddie, I love those blooms. Is it just the pics, or is the bottom part of your blooms green in color? I always thought they were supposed to be yellow, but since I'm new to this hoya thing I could be wrong...

• shiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was so excited about my peduncles last night I couldn't sleep---that's when you *know* you've become a hoyaholic! Now hopefully the buds won't blast...

• mare2
    16 years ago

Ines, that conspiracy quote should be posted under the photo for this forum. Still laughing....

• ines_99
    16 years ago

With me it is a very REAL problem, because I have very little sunny space...but today I have 4 new cuttings to find room for! And I will be going to Asiatica in the fall, where I am sure I will have to buy at least 3 plants.

Sponsored