Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Flower Pictures To Share Anyone?

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Anyone's hoyas blooming right now? Lacunosa's still going, shepherdii had buds but they blasted (it would have been it's first time) and just now I found buds on my mindorensis cutting I got from dmichael!!! They're very small right now, crossing my fingers that they don't blast like shepherdii. I wanted mindorensis for, of course, the really neat looking flowers! What's the fragrance like on this one?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (30)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also found buds on verticillata (also from David)!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi
    Right now I only have bella and multiflora blooming.I do have a few hoyas that do have buds right now.

Cindy

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

My obovata is blooming and I have buds on Royal Flush and pubicalyx Red Buttons. My pot of reverted KP made a little peduncle recently but I don't know if it is going to make buds yet or not.

I wasn't expecting Red Buttons to bloom so soon! It is only a few months old, but the cutting came with a peduncle.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Just DS-70 blooming here but multiflora, callistophylla, wayetii and lambii are all in different stages of bud development.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

I have a few in bloom or getting ready to...I alos wanted to share this picture of a trio of pink leaves(KQ) with a peduncle.
    {{gwi:968849}}

Hoya diversifolia

Small cutting of weebella...opened a few days ago.

Oh, my Stephanotis floribunda has buds...Will post again when they open.
    {{gwi:968855}}

Congrats to all with blooms/buds!

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Wow Pug, you seem to have a pink leaf theme going this year! They almost don't look real. I think I need to get my hands on a stephanotis soon. I feel the need to try that one again.

I only have wayetti blooming. It never seems to stop. It actually seems like when it dries out a little much, it shoots out more buds. It's not intentional, but it's hard to see when it needs water until the leaves curl up, and it's a little hard to water now. I think I need to repot it soon, but where does one find a hanging pot that is one size up from a 4.5 inch?

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Incrassata blooming again with the double peduncle

H. sp. Philippines IML 0831

subcalva

H. pachyclada - red center

H. davidcummingii

H. obscura

H. cv. Irise Marie

Dee

• cena60
    13 years ago

Still using DH's crappy camera...
    H. pubicalyx, and my business card behind to show size...

Really can't fault DH's camera... perhaps the operator?
    H. obovata, the Very Best pic I've ever taken of this species!

Orchid, 'Sharri Baby' (smells like chocolate, HUGE space hog!) Blooms

Plant.

• Denise
    13 years ago

Cena,

I still can't take a really decent closeup without a tripod. My new camera does better than ones I've had in the past, but I guess technology still isn't quite good enough to compensate for my less than still hands!

I have some that are blooming right now...

davidcummingii...

ever-faithful fungii...

inconspicua...

kerrii continues to bloom...

lacunosa (I let it get too dry recently and all the buds dried up, but as soon as I watered it good, it budded right back up & started to bloom again)...

meliflua...

'Minibelle' has been pumping out flowers, one cluster at a time all summer. (I even have a cutting I rooted that's blooming!)...

obovata x. carnosa...

obscura has bloomed all summer...

pubicalyx 'Red Buttons'...

pub 'Splash' (aka 'Pink Silver') - my stubborn one is putting out one here, one there...

Just discovered 'Royal Hawaiian Purple' is blooming, too...

rubra...
    {{gwi:924920}}

All but a few are growing like mad. This seems to be a great year for Hoyas!

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Holey smokes, so many blooms.

Dee that double peduncle is really cool.

Denise does your Hoya inconspicua have plain green leaves or are they splotched in silver? Are the new leaves reddish until they mature? I am trying to compare to my Hoya sp Haruku and memoria.

Mike

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,sorry I haven't been around much lately but a lot is going on at home right now. My only living grandparent ( my dad's mom) turned 90 on 6/27. Two weeks ago she fell (nothing broken) and has been bedridden since. We have a lot of family within walking distance of her but only 2 who actually care enough to take care of her,me and my uncle.This is not leaving me much time to do much else aside from going to work. I did manage to gt out to the gh/shade house yesterday for a moment to take a few pics.

This is H. ciliata,an 8 year old plant which is blooming for the first time and it's my second eriostemma to bloom

this is H. incrassata in the process of opening,the flowers have not fully reflexed yet!!They are actually quite tiny once they do and there can be up to 60 or more in a cluster

this hoya was knowingly and purposely sold to me as H. griffithii by a very well known and popular U.S. vendor. It's not even remotely close to being or looking like hoya griffithii foliage or flower wise. It's H. sp India IML 1598. If you also are growing this hoya and bought it as H. griffithii,sorry to say that you do not have what you think you have!

another shot of 1598

this is a hoya that I purchased from Paul Shirley several years back as hoya minahassae. I sent photos to David Liddle a year or so ago and he seemed to have a difference of opinion as to the proper ID for this hoya. He was not sure what it actually is but was pretty certain that it was not hoya minahassae.

one more of "not minahassae"

this is a clone of H. mindorensis that I purchased from a vendor out of Florida. Supposedly this plant will bloom different colored clusters of flowers on the same plant. Time will tell as this is the first time it has bloomed!!

another of the same cluster

this is not a hoya but hangs out in the shade house with them so I thought i'd share it as well. This is stapelia schinzii,just one of many (70 or so) that I used to grow. A couple of years ago I traded the entire stapelia collection to someone for hoyas. I think I kept 3 out of all of them. This one because I like the flowers,it's very easy to grow and the plant is almost 3 ft long!!

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

I just went back and looked at my pictures and noticed in the second photo of sp. India IML 1598 there is THEE coolest shot of a snow white mealy bug!!!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Awesome
    pictures everybody!!

Dee that double headed peduncle is really cool!

David, it's funny what the camera captures when our eyes can't,lol...

Congrats on your grandmother turning 90! Sorry to hear she fell, hoping she will be up and about soon.

Thanks for all the great pictures!

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

David! I see the mealy!!!! Ooops! ;) Eh . . . mealies happen! hahaha

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Lovely photos as always David.
    I have that Hoya sold as minahasse as well and it has been a really slow grower. Did your plant have to be quite large before it flowered and is it fragrant?

Your Stapelia is just fantastic! I got a small plant of that species last year and so far have only had it flower once but it's a keeper, nice and compact compared to some of the others.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Really neat stapelia schinzii. It looks like something out of H.P. Lovecraft. Your grow house must have looked otherworldly before you traded your collection. Were you growing hoyas consecutively or did you switch directions that day?

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Mike (not minahassae) isn't that slow of a grower for me. One problem that I have had with it since the start is that it will put on a lot of new growth and then it'll begin to rot. I've had to re start it a number of times in the 4+ years that i've had it. I've also shared a lot of it with people so my plant is back to being on the smallish side again at the moment. I'll have to check it for a fragrance.

Ghost, I was growing hoyas and stapelias consecutively but some of the stapelias can be so temperamental . I also just could not manage 2 collections of plants at the same time and care for them all properly. The hoyas are prone to getting mealy bugs if you don't stay on top of them but the stapleias are like magnets for mealies especially the root mealies.

David

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

David, that's good to know about the stapelias and mealies . . . I was thinking of getting one, but I really DON'T want any other issues with mealies! hahaha

Gotta love the plants,

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I lost half my Stapeliad collection this past winter due to root mealies. It's hard to treat a plant for insects when you don't notice they are there and when watering during the dormancy will cause rot. Carolyn I would go for it anyways because they are really great plants to grow, just have to learn a few rules like when to water and when to keep them dry.

Mike

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Hmmmmmm . . . I might be tempted at a later date . . .
    Oh, Mike, did you get my email?

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Yes Carolyn I did, thanks for the reminder because I had obviously forgotten to respond.

Mike

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

This should have been posted last night along with the other pictures but I somehow overlooked doing it. This is hoya tjadasmalangensis (now that that 15 times as fast as you can!!!))

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

that should have said (say that) not that that

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Oh oh! So beautiful! That's (tjadasmalangensis) my favorite.

Although I do also like very much the fuzzyfuzzy leaves of your ciliata.

• Denise
    13 years ago

Mike,

My inconspicua leaves are solid green and don't show any color when new, but I don't grow it in high light. It's a cutie...

Denise in Omaha

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

David, I LOVE tjadasmalangensis. I got mine this year from Joni . . . and it's put on a new vine and one new leaf. I hope it doesn't drop. :( Right now, it has three nice, big leaves (not counting the new one). Lovely plant.

Your flowers are BEAUTIFUL! I'm going to go insane waiting for this one to bloom!

Carolyn

• PRO
    SRQHoyas
    13 years ago

David,
    I received griffithii IML 1856 from DL last year...a gift for hosting the co-op last spring/summer. I am hoping that it is the REAL one as he stated. I couldn't really tell from your photos what the growth looks like. But this one grows in clusters as does H. erythrina or H. lobbii and are longer than they are wide. It's putting out some new growth so maybe I will see blooms new season?
    Joni

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Hi Joni,
    I'll have to take a photo of the IML 1598 and hoya griffithii to show for comparison. The leaves on 1598 are rather thick and succulent and are also pubescent on the backside. Hoya griffithii leaves are long and narrow with no fuzz and are not as fleshy as those of IML 1598. Griffithii seems to be quite the slow grower where as the sp. India IML 1598 is a rather fast grower.

http://www.hoyor.net/en/showspecies.php?id=183

if the link I provided actually works ,take a look at the flower of the TRUE hoya griffithii and compare it with the one I posted above from the hoya that was sold to me as H. griffithii,they look nothing alike.

Really there just shouldn't be any mix ups with these 2 as they look nothing alike. They differ so much in appearance that they shouldn't even me mistaken for one another when not in bloom.

• cpawl
    13 years ago

A few years ago I cut the leaves that had reverted back to all green from my KP and to day while I was watering I found this.

I got so excited that my teenage daughter came running to help with the spider lol.

Cindy

• PRO
    SRQHoyas
    13 years ago

oh...I didn't mean to say h. lobbii I meant the way H. lambii clusters it's leaves then grows a vine and then another cluster of leaves.
    David,
    I'd like to see the blooms to be sure of what I have. This one seems to be in great controversy. A friend asked me just 3 weeks ago what mine looked like and what the IML # was...the wonderful world of label accuracy.
    Joni