Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theplanthoarder

Hoya polystachya IML 1410 growth

theplanthoarder
12 years ago

This plant has grown so much since I repotted it and put it outside. At this rate it will be 10 feet tall in 2 years. It loves sunshine and lots of rain water. I love this plant.

Picture taken on June 14, 2011:

Picture taken on July 22, 2011:

Michelle

Comments (13)

• gennykins
    12 years ago

It is so beautiful! I purchased a cutting from Iris and I can't wait until it starts to grow.

Lisa

• Denise
    12 years ago

Nice! I got one as a cutting this spring, too, and it's growing nicely. I have a feeling it's going to be one of the fast growers.

Denise in Omaha

• theplanthoarder
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisa,
    It starts out slow but once it gets going it doesn't stop. I have been giving it fish emulsion, seaweed extract, beer fertilizer and superthrive. The leaves are a beautiful burgundy when they start out. I grow it dry in the winter. Such an easy Hoya. I wish they were all this way.

Michelle

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I must try to find this hoya.I love the very large leaves.
    Thanks for sharing.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Beautiful Hoya! Imagine how nice that plant will look if allowed to cover a large trellis.

Mike

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

Wow that is really pretty.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Michelle, that's a beautiful hoya...love the leaves! May I ask you what zone you live in? Just curious because you say your hoya loves the sun and right now I can't put any of my hoyas in direct sun since I live in FL and we've been in the upper 90's now for months, mine would all be burnt to a crisp,lol...I'm guessing you live in a much cooler climate? Thanks for posting your pictures!

• theplanthoarder
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Puglover, I live in Ohio. It has been really hot and humid here. My hoyas get afternoon sun but I doubt it is as hot as the Florida sun. I know about burning to a crisp in Florida, I sunburn in 15 minutes if I am out in the sun down there.

Michelle

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Gorgeous plant! I just love love love before and after photos.

Maybe that's how we can do our fastest growing Hoya competition next summer. In April we all post pictures of our candidates, then we take after pictures in September. And... post a poll to vote for the most dramatic change. ^_~

I'm with you in being allergic to Florida, Michelle. I'm just going to start telling people I'm half German, half Vampire.

• theplanthoarder
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Greedyghost, that competition sounds awesome. I always love when you take a picture of your dog or something and one of your plants happen to be in the background, then you look at it like 5 years later. I always say, oh my gosh, look at how small that plant was. I'm half German, half vampire too. :)

Michelle

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Haha yeah some of the best comparison photos seem to come from moments when you were focused on a completely different subject. I was actually thinking for a minute there that your photos had captured a house paint job too, because of the different lighting.

As soon as the half German half Vampire was out of my mouth, it sounded like the premise to a campy horror movie. So, I checked to see if it already was a movie, and I found this.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

On a sidenote, I just found your blog! Mwahahahaha (vampire laugh). And the stalking continues...

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

We're set to break a record of days over 100 degrees in Oklahoma this summer. The last record was 50 and we're in the 40's. It wouldn't be so bad if most of the days were 100-105 but most of them have been above that and I think we may have hit our all- time record high of 113 the other day. That's just the official OKC numbers; people have been exceeding that all over the state all summer. Needless to say, my plants aren't happy. I brought in a bunch of them today because watering every morning just wasn't enough.

I think I need a polystachya. That is a gorgeous plant!

On the growth contest, do we have to pick the plants that we think will grow the fastest or do we take pictures of everyone and then compare in the fall? Either way, I think it's a good way to get me to take more pictures of my plants!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions