Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitzicos

Hoyas in LA California

mitzicos
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I know I asked this favor before but, time is coming and I'm going to LA next month..... I've been looking for hoyas there, but can't find any nursery that at least know the plant! I've been calling all the nurserys I found on google but no one seems to know what hoya is. Does any one knows if it is really difficult to find hoyas there? Can any one help me please? Thank you very much for any assistance you may give me! Mitzi

Comments (36)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I live up in northern California, so I can't help you.

However, I know my grandpa speaks at Hoya gatherings in southern California from time to time.
    There must be Hoya growers....the weather is perfect for many species. I'll see what I can find out.

Josh

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh,

Thank you very much for your help!

Interesting that I called many nurseries and they don't even know what hoya is!

If there is any hoya grower I must find!

Thank you once again

Mitzi

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

I just bought a hoya at the Cacti and Succulent show at Huntingtons. The grower was a place called Rainbow Gardens. Its in Vista CA. a little far from LA but if you want to call them the number is (760)758-4290.

Here is a link that might be useful: The hoya I bought from them.

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Moosetrackz 9

Thank you very much, certainly I will call them! Cannot be farthest than Brazil!!!!

Thank you!

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Moosetrackz 9,

Just forgot to ask if they have more species???

Thanks

Mitzi

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

If you are in the Vista area, try Kartuz nursery he has a nice selection of hoya. (does mail order as well)

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

eye_love_begonias 9a

Thank you for the excellent information.... I'll look for it at google.

Mitzi

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

At the show they had 3 different kinds: Krimson Queen, a rope hoya and one I didn't recognize.

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Moosetrackz,

Thank you very much for your help! Your hoya is really nice! Good luck with her!

Mitzi

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Mitzi...I ordered hoyas from Grigsby Cactus...they're located in Vista, California. The hoyas were very nice sized ones....but, they only carry two types: H. Australis 'Oramicola' and H. loyceandrewsiana...at $10 and $12.50 each. Their phone number is (760)707-1323...they don't offer an online ordering...you have to mail them or call them by phone. But, hopefully you can call them and have them ship to whatever address you're staying at in California....they did ship very quickly to me. Hope this helps...but, there aren't many nurseries that carry hoyas in California..this is the only one I found. Fondly, Patrick

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Patrik,

Thank you very much for your help. For sure I'll call them.

Thank you

Mitzi

• Denise
    12 years ago

Mitzi,

If you're looking for fairly common ones, your best bet are Lowe's and Home Depot, even Walmart in some places (not here...) The EA plants are big and fairly cheap. If you're looking for less common ones, mail order is your best bet. I find most nurseries respond as you've seen - they don't seem to know much if anything about Hoyas.

Denise in Omaha

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Denise,

I'll probably have to order from Joni, she has everything I want and she sells cuts, I cannot buy big plants, because I won't be able to hide big plants on the luggage! I'm assuming the risk of confiscation, so I won't be able to expend much money also! This is a very risk activity, but of course I'll try! Hope I don't go to jail!

Mitzi

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Lowe's in Aliso Viejo is selling variegated Hoya Carnosas, I saw them the other day.

Hawthorne Nursery in Hawthorne also sells hoyas. It's located at the intersection of Hawthorne and El Segundo Boulevard.

Good luck.

TammyPie

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TammyPie,

Thank you for your precious information.

I'll check

Mitzi

• alba_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi,
    I live in Hawthorne,CA, and I am familiar with the nursery that TammyPie suggested you visit to see about buying some hoyas. I bought two hoyas from them, the Krimson Queen and the rope hoya. They were really nice hoyas, but they were big plants. It sounds to me like you need cuttings, so that you can hide them in your suitcase for your trip back home. Mind telling me where your staying in LA? Are you near the LAX area? Maybe I can help...
    alba in Hawthorne, CA

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi and Alba,

Today I stopped by the Hawthorne Nursery. Unfortunately, I didn't find any hoyas for sale.

However, the International Garden Center in El Segundo (on Sepulveda and Grand Avenue), they had one hanging hoya for sale ($14.95 I think). Pretty sure it was a Carnosa.

Mitzi, I've got plenty of Hoya Carnosa cuttings, H. Retusa and H. Nummaraoides (sp?) if you have an opportunity to come down 55 miles south to South Orange County. We can meet at a Starbucks or something; I'll give them to you.

TammyPie

• alba_gardener
    12 years ago

TammyPie,
    We must be neighbors. I also go to the International Garden Center looking for hoyas. Target (corner of Manhattan Bch and Sepulveda) was a good place to get EA's, but they shut down their garden center. ):
    alba in Wisburne

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Alba, I used to live on Ramona Hill for 12 years until I moved in 2004 to South Orange County. I miss the area personally.

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tammy and Alba,

Sorry for late reply!
    I'm going to stay very close to LAX, still looking for hoyas all over LA, I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to go to Vista or any other town, I have many things to do in LA. I was planning to spend few days in Hawaii, but I heard that I won't be able to bring hoyas from Hawaii to LA... very sad!

The main problem is that I will need cuttings, so that I can hide them in my suitcase for my trip back home.

@ Alba, I can give you my address in LA, if you can email me mitzicos@click21.com.br. I didn' suceed to add my email on my page here!!!

Thank you very much for your kindly and wonderful help.

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tammypie:

I call the Hawthorne Nursery and identify myself telling that I was looking for hoyas, the man was really surprised when I told him that I was from Brazil and was looking for hoyas. It was really funny and he said that when I arrived there he can find me some, but only big plants, so it seems that I will need to distribute some cuts there, I'm not able to bring big plants, only cuts! I'm also considering to send parts of the plants (cuts) by mail to Brazil to myself and some friends, if I have to buy big plants, but I know that they probably will arrive dead, as always.

Well thank you so much for your help and offer, so for Alba (sorry about my English mistakes).

I appreciate very much the help you both are offering and wish I can send some Brazilian souveniers for you both.

Thank you, thank you and thank you.

Mitzi

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi,

If you purchase a large hoya plant you can simply take some generous cuttings home for yourself, and give the main plant to perhaps Alba, if you two meet up.

Well I hope you have a wonderful trip in L.A. and Hawaii. Wish I could go to Hawaii!

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tammypie,

This is the idea, to get some cuts and give the major plant. Hawaii was planned only for hoya purposes, I've been there before, but if I can't bring hoyas to mayland, I won't go there!

Mitzi

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Mitizicos,

Am guessing one can't bring plants to the Mainland because California has important agriculture & fruit crops. The same is true here of Florida; one can understand that the states of fruit crops can't risk infestation of insects or invasive plants, etc. Desculpa

Maybe you should go to Hawaii anyway, it's supposed to be an especially beautiful place, particularly w/ combinations of mountains & ocean together.

Have fun & Happy Hoya Hunting!!

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Pirate Girl,

Thanks for the information about mainland and plants. I knew the problem was based on infestation, I've been to Hawaii before and there is beautiful for sure, but my trip is basically for hunting hoyas!!! For leasure I'd choose any other place that I haven't been before, like Florida!

Let's see what I decide when I get there!

So Karen, don't you have a facebook account? If you have and want to add me mine is Mitzi Costa...

Beijos para voce.

Vou ficar louca atras de hoyas ai nos States...

Bye

Mitzi

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

No Mitzi, sorry no Facebook page for me. Abracos para voce & boa sorte tambem.

Translating for non-Portuguese speaking. My one word above to her was 'Sorry' in response to her not being able to bring Hoyas into Calif.

In her response she sends kisses (a form of greeting comparable to our saying something like "Hugs"). I sent her back hugs & wished her luck.

She's funny, she closes by saying she's going to go crazy in her Hunt for Hoyas here in the USA.

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Pg,

I remember that it is not usual on US to say kisses... sorry for that! Here we always say kisses for everyone!

Facebook is a good way of communication. I'm in touch with Jack from Ephypitica almost everyday, he posts many pictures and there is also a lot of people in a forum of Hoyas from Thailand... it is very interesting and we exchange a lot of useful information regarding hoyas.

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope Alba Gardner reads this post!!!

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone has more suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Mitzi

• lovinmyblooms
    12 years ago

I came across this post googling places to buy hoyas in southern California and figured I would share my source for anyone else who may come across this post. Blue Hills nursery in Whittier,ca has cuttings of many variations and large plants as well, I was there a few days ago and they had a good selection! I took home a VERY large Hoya kerrii (sweetheart Hoya) for $30, totally stoked!

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Lovinmyblooms,

Thank you very much for your information, unfortunately I'm back to my country and unable to visit this nursery, but when I return to US and will look for it.

Thank you once again,

Mitzi from Brazil

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I live in S. Calif. & never heard about that nursery, so I really appreciate your info. on it. Thanks Lovinmyblooms!

• cssoriano
    10 years ago

Hi! Mitzi. I am hoya fanatics too. I have at least 300 specie in the Philippines already. Come Dec. my group will go to Bangkok, Thailand for more Hoya specie. Next time you come USA, check website of KNG hoyas @ yahoo.com and Joni at SRQ hoyas .com. for cuttings. It is either New York or Florida. And you will go home happy. Or might as well visit me in the Philippines.

• Jessica Frias
    8 years ago

I know this thread is pretty old by now, but just in case anyone else gets here looking for Hoyas I'll leave this here. I live in LA and found a nursery that carries some Hoyas, it's called Mickey Hargitay's Plants and they had Lanceolata Bella's, Carnosas including Compactas and even ones that looked like Javanica's. Also I've seen the Hindu ropes downtown at the flower market. People there are friendly and most vendors will look for plants for you if you ask. I got my Lacunosa today beautiful and big, with buds! I asked 2 weeks ago. Good luck!

• HU-864293345
    3 years ago

Does and one know of any growers of hoyas in Vista, San Marcos, or the surrounding areas in North County San Diego. A greenhouse in the back of a house would be ideal

Sponsored
More Discussions