Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angeleyedcat

Hoyas and LECA

angeleyedcat
13 years ago

I'm starting a new thread (original was Hoyas and Wick Watering) since this question is LECA specific:

I'm researching LECA to try with a few hoyas as suggested and I'm seeing bag sizes ranging from 5 liters up. I would assume 10 liters would be enough to let me fill two 6 inch pots and also do a few cuttings? I can get more later if it's successful.

It also seems that "coarse" or "medium" grade is recommended for most houseplants - but would you recommend that for hoyas?

Creative Hydroponics in NJ and First Rays in PA are in my general area which may help with shipping costs.

Thanks so much!

Comments (3)

• Denise
    13 years ago

AEC,

I'm growing a few Hoyas using the semi-hyrdo leca stones. Let's see - a carnosa 'KQ. One that is green cuttings off my 'KP' (it was my first experiment with this method because I have SO much of it!) Sp. 'Nong Nooch', which just sat there for the longest time but has taken off in semi-hydro. A small piece of variegated kerrii, which I find interesting because it does put on some new growth, but it's like it's miniature leaves. A rooted cutting of cagayanensis that started to die back for me - it has since perked up and put on new growth. Oh, and globulosa, which grows like a weed in the stuff! I think it's a great way to grow them. But I do prefer to grow it with the special pots and the indicators that tell you when to add water, and they're a little pricey when you get all the components, so it won't be my primary way of growing them unless my raft comes in (I've given up on a ship!)

Denise in Omaha

• knitty
    13 years ago

Glad you started a new thread. Rays has a starter kit that I used. It was a good low cost way to start a bunch of small plants. Coarse/medium is strongly preferred, for everything. I've had less than ideal results with the Fine medium and it's harder to control. Bigger rocks = easier to catch before it clogs your drain. :)

You brought up containers earlier. I consider this an issue with leca. His containers have holes that pee when you fill them, so they must be taken to the sink. That's not my general habit. I bought a case of jam jars from walmart that I really like for cuttings. The pots are better if they're deeper, so you have room for the reservoir at the bottom. If you choose a closed-bottom (no drainage) system like waterroots, then you can imagine a taller container will leave more room at the bottom for that reservoir.

Oh, look at Ray's starter kit again. He gives a recommendation for how much leca fills his containers. I think two 6" pots can be filled with 5liters. His recommendations worked for me. Sorry I'm sooo Ray's Ray's Ray's, but I haven't tried anything else and I've only been playing with leca for the past year.

Why I like leca... One day I came home to a 6m old dying violet and finally realized the soil was actually a chunk of wood. I pulled the wood out accidentally, thinking it was a dry glob of soil or rock. More than half the pot was now empty. The pot was broken and I didn't have another pot on hand. I had a 2L on hand, though, that I could cut in half and fill with some leftover leca. Fine is recommended for violets, but all I had was coarse. Ray's says some use coarse with violets. So, I filled the bottle with leca, potted the violet, and didn't worry about the lack of drainage because I could visually see the water level. If I had used that 2L bottle with ordinary soil, I would have worried so much about the drainage and rot. Anyway, I think this chunk of wood is also why the violet never flowered since I got it about 6 months ago. But, it started flowering and growing almost immediately after. Definitely didn't skip a beat, it seemed to cheer. :)

I've read that many plants pout a little if they're having adjustment issues, but rarely do they completely fail. When I'm worried about that, I take comfort that I can typically SEE what the roots are doing anytime my mind starts to worry.

I agree with Denise about the container cost. You've got to get creative!

I'll try to take some pictures tonight. :)

• angeleyedcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great to hear more recommendations for hoyas and LECA and yes, I did see the starter kit at Rays but didn't see what liter size does what, so much there to read. A kit is perfect for right now, glad that's possible. I know, all the components add up really fast especially when the total for everything for one plant is more than I paid for any one of my plants. It may tho end up being a good solution for this group of plants.

All photos or info is greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored