Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Hanging plant recommendations?

quinnfyre
13 years ago

So it's official. I've run out of room. That is, as things stand right now. I decided to hang a pot of carnosa from the ceiling, and it looks really nice... but lonely. Which started me wondering: what else I could make into a hanging plant?

Here are the conditions. It has to tolerate drying out a bit sometimes, because I can't see if the soil is dry and may not get to it as frequently as the ones I can see. It has to be okay being set back about a few feet from my south windows, so if it's a bright light lover, it won't be happy. And it can't be super heavy, so no humungous leaved guys.

Here's what I have to choose from: australis ssp. Tenuipes, parviflora, pubicalyx 'Splash', brevialata (if it ever decides to grow for me!), nummularioides. Hanging even one of these up will probably help me out. I'm slightly tempted to hang up my finlaysonii, but I think that's probably a bad idea, due to its weight. I could be wrong though, maybe it will work? What do you think?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Denise
    13 years ago

Quinn,

If you use those decorative ceiling hooks with the toggle, they can take quite a bit of weight. It does depend a bit on your ceilings - I live in an old house with lath & plaster and that holds a LOT of weight. If yours is drywall, you may want to search for a stud and use the wood screw part instead of the toggle. Then you could hang - well, anything, off of it!

I love the way 'Splash' looks hanging, but it does get large. Forget australis ssp. tenuipes - I tried to train it to be a hanging plant and it just wants to go up, up, up. Brevialata (which I call incurvula) is a good hanging plant, too. I grow all I can hanging because it's my favorite way to grow them.

Denise in Omaha

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah, good to know about australis ssp. Tenuipes. I was considering putting in one of those toggle hooks, but I am hesitant to drill a 9/16 inch hole in the ceiling, both because I rent and because I don't own a power drill at the moment. I put in my wall shelf today, and I already felt bad putting 1/4 inch holes in the wall. Let me tell you, that was an undertaking without a drill. Not bad in the drywall portions, but one of the spots where I had to attach an anchor turned out to be a stud. Next time, I'm getting a power drill.

Will 'Splash' be okay being about 3 ft away from my window? I have Pink Silver in a west window, and it loves it there, so I'd feel bad if I were depriving Splash of lots of light if that's what it prefers.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

I had a busy summer, had great time with my 3 teenage grand daughters for 3 weeks.
    nummularioides is great for what you want to do because it like to grow dryish and hangs nice.
    Splash/pink silver grows in most any conditions, I have one in shady area and one in brighter area. It didn't flowered in shadt area this year.

• Denise
    13 years ago

Quinn,

'Splash' is just another clone of 'Pink Silver'. It's the one I grow with more silver flecking than other clones out there. I probably wouldn't grow anything 3' in from a window myself because I don't think it would be enough light to make it happy. But if your room is very bright all day long, like morning sun, then bright afternoon reflected light (which is how my sunroom is...), it would probably grow fine. I grow two full sized plants of 'Splash' - one is in my GH, where it gets a good amount of sun, and the other is in my dining room, where it gets mostly bright reflected light (off the white house next door). It hangs about a foot in from the window, but it's also a window with some sheer curtains and blinds, so it's more like somewhat filtered AND reflected light, and that one actually shows more flecking than the one that gets sun. So I've decided it's a shadier position that gives you the most beautiful leaves on 'Splash', although that one has yet to bloom for me...

Besides, if you have a plant hanging 3' in from a window, aren't you going to be running into it all the time?? I would be in our little house!

Denise in Omaha

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Quinn,

I just moved my Pink Silver (AKA Splash) into a hanger yesterday and it looks great! (I posted this in another thread, but I just wanted to show you what it looks like)

It gets bright shade all day and some sun in the afternoon (it's inside the little porch now, just hung it there so I could take a good picture). This one has grown the most out of all my hoyas, besides carnosa and it's one of my very favorites!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

My favorites to grow hanging are the smaller species like Hoya tsangii/odetteae, DS-70, parviflora, parvifolia, retusa, linearis, longiflora, shephardii, brevialata, nummularioides, davidcumingii, pusilla, lacanosa. My Hoya paziae looks like it will make a nice hanging plant but it will be one that takes up some space because of it's growth habit. Any of the other species like sp. Haruku, Malaku etc. are very pretty hanging plants.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carnosa is currently 3 ft back from the window. I won't be running into it because it's off to the side in my plant corner. My plant corner is now lined in Mylar to maximize reflective light. I'll keep an eye on it for mold issues, but nothing is sealed tight, just taped up to the wall. By the way, Mylar LOVES tape and is drawn to it like a magnet. And then won't release easily without crinkling up the surface. It was occasionally an exercise in frustration. I'm hoping this helps me grow plants on my wall shelf that is off to the side of the window, because it is my only option for plants that need real trellising, rather than my made-from-wire-hanger hoops.

This window is only a foot in from that wall (14 inches, I'd say) so I'm hoping it does get some decent light. It's a south window, not really any direct light but ambient light all day long. One of these days I will take a light meter to it to see what kind of levels I really have. I've bloomed multiple African violets, a Neofinetia falcata, and a Beallara in this window, as well as wayetti and my ceropegia woodii.

I'm going to give nummularioides a try, and maybe parviflora. Splash may go in the other window with my kerrii, if there is room and if I can make sure my kitty cannot reach it. Her perching shelf is in that window, and I know that the pubicalyx types can get quite large. She may not really care to bother it, but it only takes one time to undo a season's worth of growth, and while I'd like to say I trust her, truth is, I don't. She's a cat ; )

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions