Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dolphinchick

need help identifying these...

dolphinchick
11 years ago

Hi, I'm new here, today actually, and posted a couple pictures under the 'identify this' heading and another member said 2 of them were hoyas so I thought I'd try and confirm what they are here!

I've had them both about a year...was wondering if they all eventually get the beautiful flowers I've seen in some of you pictures or not?

Just curious that's ;) I love these plants ... so beautiful!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments (14)

• dolphinchick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the other one...very different looking

• goddess9
    11 years ago

The first is H. carnosa 'Krimson Queen'.

The second is H. wayetti.

Welcome!

• Denise
    11 years ago

Yes, first one is Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen' and second one is Hoya wayetti. 'KQ' gets pink flower clusters, the larger ones, and wayetti has small red flower clusters:
    {{gwi:931780}}

Congrats on your nice Hoyas!

Denise in Omaha

• dolphinchick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much ladies! I really appreciate it!
    Wow....those are some beautiful flowers!
    It seems I've read on here somewhere that it can sometimes take a while before they will flower ... because neither of mine have yet...I can only imagine how much more time I'll spend looking at them and taking pictures if they ever do flower .... I've really been enjoying seeing pictures of everyones beautiful plants!
    Thanks again for the help and the warm welcome! ;)

I'm jade and I live in Tennessee :)

• emt23
    11 years ago

Welcome to you Jade! ~ Mary

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Jade,welcome to the Hoya forum!
    Identifying your Hoyas is a first step to Hoya addiction! :) Carnosa may take time, but my Wayetti same size as your is setting tiny peduncles!

Aggie

• dolphinchick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Mary & Aggie!
    I'm already so obsessed! I try and keep my eyes open...but I don't see all that many in my little town...but I've seen many on here I'm dying to have!!
    I think at first for some reason a friend thought the wayetti(sp) was instead a succulent so maybe I've been under watering it...could that be why I'm not getting flowers yet? Always so afraid of over watering!
    Thanks, Jade

• Denise
    11 years ago

Jade - great name! Do you also collect your namesake? I can't resist Jade plants...

Wayetti bloomed early for me and for the first few years, but mine hasn't bloomed for a few years now. I'm not sure why - I've got a few of them in different windows, and they all grow magnificently, but they don't want to bloom. So I wouldn't presume to give advice about getting it to bloom, but I always just try to appreciate my Hoyas for their leaves and when they do bloom, it's like a big bonus. Wayetti (and the other long-leaf varieties) are especially appealing to my eye.

My 'KQ' has never bloomed for me either, but I assume this is likely because I don't remove the all-white/cream vines as is suggested. I see you have some on yours, too. It's my understanding that the all-white vines/leaves zap that plant of energy which would ordinarily go into new growth and flowering. But I enjoy the beautiful white growth (I really like how it starts out pink) and have chosen it's worth the sacrifice.

Denise in Omaha

• dolphinchick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Denise!
    I do have a jade plant that I love! It was tiny when I got ut a year ago...it's probably easily doubled in size!
    I love the pink and white leaves on the KQ! I'm not sure I could cut them off either! :)
    Maybe one day my wayetti will bloom..but if not that's ok....it's still gorgeous! :)

• dolphinchick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok....another question .... sorry ...
    On one of the leaves is this almost mud like texture on the back side of only a couple .. the rest are clean.. dies anyone know if I should be worried or what it is?
    Thanks again everyone,
    Jade

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Don't know what that is, but it's not normal, pls remove that leaf ASAP & any other looking like it, lest whatever that is spread.

Also, I'd move that away from any other plants lest it spread to them as well.

• dolphinchick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks pirate girl!
    I removed them .. there were just a few...hopefully it stays that way!!
    It's also sitting by itself on my coffee table.
    Thanks for the thoughts! :)
    Jade

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I don't think you have to worry about that spreading, Jade. I've had leaves with similar markings on them - I believe it's just scarring. I'm not sure what the source of the injury was in this instance, but that's what you need to watch out for.

Your jade portrait is very picturesque. I love it.

• dolphinchick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks greedyghost! I took them off already, there were about 57-9 of them...not sure why they'd have scarring ... other than from when they were re-potted about a year ago...but I'm glad you think it's not something that'll spread!!
    Thanks about the jade plant also! It's just the bathroom window where I have a couple of my late grandmas pictures. It really seems to like that window that's for sure!!
    Thanks again,
    Jade