Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

Hoya Elliptica

dmichael619
10 years ago

This is a variety of hoya elliptica that I purchased from Antone Jones when he was still in the business of selling hoyas @ dischidia.com. Unfortunately he no longer grows or sells hoyas which is a shame because he had a killer collection. These flower have been fully open now for about a half hour (it's almost 8:30 PM Eastern time) and they are OUTSTANDING!!!! I was so excited just to see them that I forgot to smell them to see if they had any fragrance!!!

Comments (12)

• amber_m
    10 years ago

wow those are beautiful! congrats on the blooms!!! let us know if there is a fragrance

• emt23
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• moonwolf_gw
    10 years ago

Congrats, David! They're beautiful!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Denise
    10 years ago

Hi David,

Can you show us the leaves? Gorgeous flowers, but I've tried and tried and TRIED to grow ellipttica for the foliage - it knocks my socks off! I'm envious and wishin' I could grow it!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Very NICE dmichael!! Mine bloomed a couple of weeks ago also...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

My darwinii bloomed also...it sure is a stingy bloomer for me...Have had this hoya for a few years now and this is only the 2nd time its bloomed!!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice flowers Pug!!!! Congrats on not only growing darwinii well but also getting it to bloom. Hoya darwinii has probably been thee MOST difficult hoya I have ever tried to grow and keep alive. I tried a number of times and after successfully killing it at least 10 times, I have finally given up on growing it. You can lump hoya mitrata into that group as well!!!

Denise I haven't forgotten that you requested a foliage photo. If it'll ever stop raining here long enough for me to go back outside and get one,i'll post it!!! I swear if it rains much more i'm gonna need a boat just to leave the house!!!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks David!! I actually almost lost that Darwinii winter before last...I brought it in the house over the winter and 80% of the leaves yellowed and fell off!! andd some of the vines died :o( Took several months over last summer to bring it back from the brink of death,lol...So this summer I decided to bring it inside the house only at night when the temps dipped below 45 degrees and it did much better!

I totally hear you about the rain...I've had a little over 20 inches of rain from July 1 thru July 27th...the most rain I've ever seen in less than a month since I moved to FL back in 1992! Unbelievable really!! Its finally drying out some now...hope it does the same for you soon...

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 10:24

• Denise
    10 years ago

Pug,

Your photo of elliptica practically makes me drool! What a beauty. I'll have to try it again soon...

Wish you guys could send some rain our way. After last summer, I won't complain because we haven't had the heat AND drought - it's been cooler this summer, but we just can't seem to squeeze much rain out. They keep saying "rain coming", and it spits around a bit. They really had us hyped one day last week and we got a whopping .05" - oh boy! "Just teasing!!" says Mother Nature. We should figure out a way to spread the rain around so everybody gets their share and no one winds up under water! Wouldn't THAT be nice!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Denise!! I totally understand what you're saying about the rain...what you're having now sounds like our summer last year...our lakes were way below normal...Its made up a little this year our July rain totals of 20" is nothing to sneeze at! I hope you guys get some of it as well...we do need to spread it around :o) ...seems like its Feast or Famine!

• Klea
    10 years ago

Oh no, now I've GOT to get my hands on a cutting of elliptica. And I who had convinced myself I could survive without it. Now, after seeing your pictures, I know I was just fooling myself ... LOL

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio