o
flowers

Posted by cpawl 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 21:16

Look what I found this morning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flowers

Pretty! What Hoya is that? It is very elegant.

o

Its H.thomsonii

o

Very pretty
Kathi

o

Very nice! I want a surprise like that!

Laura

o

beautiful! do they have a scent?

o

• Posted by Klea 4b (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 19:37

So beautiful! And they smell so lovely too, don't you think? :) Congratulations!

o

Thanks guys,this is a first time bloomer for me since getting a cutting a few years ago.
I like the smell of the one flower,it fills the whole greenhouse in the morning but if it had tons of open flowers at the same time it would be to much.

o

Royal Flush opened it's first peduncle. How I missed the fragrance of a lacunosa!

photo 099_zps43f14eab.jpg

From a distance. You can see a second peduncle on the left.
 photo 105_zps7b8b00ad.jpg

Also, while I didn't get a picture of it, I did find my first peduncle on my Ruby Sue!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Pretty flowers!! My thompsonii has yet to bloom, but I still love it for its super-fuzzy leaves. Does your's get quite a bit of light?

Denise in Omaha

o

Denise I have this hoya on my east wall of the greenhouse,it was covered in blooms but they all yellowed and fell off after I moved it out to the greenhouse.I have all my hoyas growing S/H and this one gets lots of water.

o

Hi I've tried S/H, however my cutting rotted. Would you mind explaining or posting what type of container you set your plant down in? I saw a picture where the wholes were drilled in side and bottom of cup. But how much water is in your cup you set that down in?

Thanks so much!

-Teisa

o

The idea behind S/H is that there is water in the bottom of the container, but not in the upper part, where the cutting and its primary root system are. So, it doesn't really matter what kinds of containers you use as long as you keep in mind that the main plant should be above the water line. So, it doesn't matter how much water is in the reservoir - just enough that you will be able to refill it before it runs bone dry - and not so much that the plant is aquatic. :)

That's how a lot of people use glass containers with no holes in them. They just don't fill them all the way up with water when they change out the water reservoir. I have a 12" glass container I use in this way. Whenever I have a plant that seems to be struggling or damaged, I take a cutting and stick it in there. There are always several cuttings rooting in it and I think they help each other out.

Usually the cuttings extend some roots all the way down into the water anyway, but those roots have a slightly different structure and will die off if you transplant the cutting into soil.

I think, if yours rotted, you might not have been doing anything wrong - it could have just been a weak cutting or some bad luck with infection. So, I would say try it again, and don't be afraid to experiment with your own containers/setup. I believe it to be a very flexible method.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here