Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwaysgardening2010

Dark plum almost black Hoya

My mother has lots of hoya's. I can identify all but one. It is a dark dark plum color almost black . My mom is a certified Nurseyman and doesnt know what it is either. Has anyone seen one this color? If so, to you happen to know its name?

Thanks,Sara

Comments (14)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi alwaysgardening,

Sure would love to see a picture of it...anyway you can post one? Hopefully someone here would be able to identify it with a picture...possibly? Sounds really pretty, must be pretty rare if your Mom doesn't know the name, You've definitely piqued my interest...Please post a photo if you can.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Some of the pubicalyx can be really dark, as well as several of the eriostemmas - might either the flower or leaves be "fuzzy"?

Like Pug said, post a picture if you can! We LOVE pictures around here!

Kelly

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

So far, it sounds like the elusive IML 0278! hahaha We'll just have to see what it looks like, first. ;)

You know that particular hoya is my obsession, Pug!

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Yes Carolyn, I think I might have heard about your obsession of the elusive IML 0278. I think you know where they have it, "if" that is the right one? If it is its quite pricey though, but if you gotta have it...you gotta pay the piper,lol...

Sent you the link.

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Thanks, Pug . . . and yes, that is "the one." However, I absolutely REFUSE to pay that for it. I'll just try to get in on a Liddle order sometime in the future and see if I can get it. Addictions are soooooooooo difficult! (And expensive)

Carolyn

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Wow, that's beautiful! Who has it?

Here is a link that might be useful: IML 0278

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

What about the dark flowered form of Hoya lobbii?

Mike

• PRO
    SRQHoyas
    13 years ago

Maybe it is the Hoya pubicalyx 'Black Dragon'!? Would love to see a photo of the foliage and blooms as well!

Joni

• Denise
    13 years ago

I think of onychoides and archboldiana as all having very dark, almost black leaves in the right light. I see the IML 0278 is a macgillivrayii, which sometimes also looks nearly black, too. All of these types I find really attractive.

If you can't post a photo, Sara, I'd look up these names and see if any match. But do get back to us either way and let us know what it is.

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Kelly, Asiatica has it!!

• cena60
    13 years ago

Okay, no where was it specified if the bloom or the leaves bear this color. A good question to ask, eh?

More detail will help. Shape/color of leaves. Photos ALWAYS help.

Just two cents...

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Cena, I think we're just all having a bit of fun speculating, since the original poster hasn't added the requested info. :)

Carolyn

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Cena, I think we're just all having a bit of fun speculating, since the original poster hasn't added the requested info. :)

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Sara, I'm bumping this thread in hopes that you'll return and give us an update or picture...we're very curious as to what hoya your Mom has...inquiring minds wants to know. Thanks!

Just like any good mystery...we need an ending :o)

Sponsored