Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geosdee

Leave Drop

geosdee
13 years ago

Have a Hoya "Big Mac". It doing real well but we have gotten alot of rain and a few leaves dropped. Will they grow back or should I cut it and root it. Denise this is the one I got from you.

Dee

Comments (5)

• Denise
    13 years ago

Hi Dee,

Leaves won't grow back at old leaf nodes, though sometimes they throw out new vines from old nodes. I would probably cut it and create new cuttings to put in with the mother plant where there are long leafless areas of vine.

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

If there are no leaves up at the top of the vine and you cut just above the last node that has a leaf strong new growth with continue on from there. These Hoyas that have really thick succulent leaves don't like too much water. Many of these species come from areas that experience a dry season for several months each year and the leaves serve as storage organs to help the plants survive. I have lost a couple cuttings of my Hoya polystachya and loyceandrewsiana because of too much moisture.
    You could try to air layer the top of the stem so that it roots and then cut it. Maybe if roots appear a new leaf will develop and you can have a viable cutting.

Mike

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Dee I have good news if you have yet to cut your plant. My Hoya polystachya has a few bare spots right down near the potting mix where leaves were trimmed from the cutting so it was small enough to mail. There is a new leaf forming now from an old leaf scar two years after the cutting was rooted. It may take a while but it is possible for dropped leaves to fill in the vine again. I also have a Hoya that often produces peduncles from leaf scars and most of the peduncles formed well after the leaves had aborted or been broken off the vine.

Mike

• Denise
    13 years ago

I agree with Mike about the succulent Hoyas not wanting as much water. I keep mine inside so I can control the amount of water they get. I've also had new vines pop out from where old leaves dropped, but I don't care for the look of long, leafless vines, so I usually don't wait for that to happen. What I really like is when you get an unexpected new vine like you describe, Mike - down near the soil line! That's like a special bonus to me!

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Here is the photo of the new leaf from an old leaf scar. This portion of stem kinda loops around and then grows up the trellis and as you can see there are a couple of bare nodes.

Denise I hope another vine emerges from the same node! This plant has become quite big and it's one of my favorites because of the leaves. You can see in this older photo that most of the plant is on one side of the trellis and there has been a ton of new growth and branching up at the top this summer so a new vine from the base would help fill in the trellis.

Mike

Sponsored