Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggie2_gw

July blooms

Aggie2
11 years ago

Well, it's 1st of July and just in time for new month my cummingiana is blooming! It's small plant with few vines, and only one about foot long and first penducle!

Aggie

Comments (66)

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

The information that I posted above in regards to the leaves of cv. Rachel and cv. Rebbeca is wrong. I have the names on the wrong leaves. The small leaf should be Rebbeca and the large leaf is Rachel.

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

Come on guys/gals I can't possibly be the only one with blooming hoyas right now!!!! Get those pictures and let's share!!!!

These were taking about 10 minutes ago. First is H. padangensis. The flower color seems to be a little lighter on it this year than it has been in the past. If you look at some older pics that I posted of it last year the petal edges appear to be a little darker. It's getting more shade this year than last so that could possibly be a reason for that.

H. davidcummingii. if you close your eyes and smell this flower you'd swear that you were smelling fresh hot melted butter!!!!

This is a neat little hoya that I got from a nursery in Thailand last year. It has small heart shaped thick succulent leaves that are heavily speckled with silvery white spots. The flowers are like those of H. lacunosa and have a very sweet scent.This is H. krohniana "Eskimo"

This is a first time bloomer for me (well it bloomed a few weeks ago but I missed the flowers as they only seem to last for a single day)For a hoya that is so very popular and seems to be on everyone's want list and having one of the most beautiful leaves on a hoya,I have to say that the scent in my opinion leaves a LOT to be desired!!!! It smells like mildew which I found very interesting considering that most of the hoyas from the finlaysonii/callistophylla group have a pleasing spicy fragrance,or so the ones that i've put my nose to thus far have anyway.These flowers are quite tiny also.

• emt23
    11 years ago

OK I accept the challenge, not as lovely as dmichaels but a pleasure just the same! h.pub...I dunno!

• emt23
    11 years ago

h.obovata

• emt23
    11 years ago

labeled h.krinkle 8

• emt23
    11 years ago

labled h.obscura
    The last 3 were between a south facing window and a shelf. I am now a contortionist photographer. ~ Mary

• emt23
    11 years ago

All the photos are beautiful, did not want to offend. I was focused on the last pictures only! ~ Mary

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

@ David

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide that comparison photo of Rebecca and Rachel. It's very helpful.

I haven't seen erythrina Bajo in person yet, but I'm so excited to. I know just what you mean when you say it's infinitely more stunning in person. I constantly feel this way when I am trying to describe what I am seeing in a Hoya. The nice thing about Bajo is it's easy to grow, so I'll get there eventually.

Okay, I just have to come out and admit it. I'm feeling more than a little green about your padangensis. I used to grow it quite easily but lately it seems so hard. And I so love those flowers, too. Everything about the plant, really. It's an odd duck. Anyway, it looks like your photos are as close as I'm going to get for a while... >_>

I do not remember davidcummingii smelling like butter at all! I don't think mine had much of a scent. I guess it needs to bloom again for me so I can compare. I think our noses must be similar because I usually find your descriptions of fragrances spot on.

Last but not least, that sp. Borneo Ganung Gading (editor's note: David's last photo) is just perfection! I guess I don't find it that strange that it smells like mildew. When my finlaysonii Ripple Leaf bloomed recently, it primarily smelt spicy and faintly lemony, but there was also this fragrance note reminiscent of walking down the corridors of one of those old public buildings whose halls are ice cold even in the middle of the summer. I described it as musty, but mildewy is probably more accurate. Just kind of... an ancient smell.

I'll have to rise to this challenge of yours when I'm at home. :)

@ Mary

Great photos! I love it when people get publicalyx at that angle where the sharp coronas are cut out against the light.

obovata blooms are so funny. They always look slightly melted to me. Like they were fashioned of marshmellow and left out to puff and fold in the sun.

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

hi Mary!!! I think you're probably new since i was last on the forum posting pics,which was last fall I think. That time of year there just isn't much going on so I take a little siesta during the winter from all of the online stuff!!! My name's David and i'm a SERIOUS hoya addict!!!!! I figured out a year or so ago how to use this camera that I had just hanging on the back of a door (for over a year)and the rest is history!!! The picture taking doesn't stop during the blooming season!!!!

All of your pics are very nice. I especially like the first one of the pubicalyx. You'll probably notice if you have looked back over any of my old pictures and you'll see when i post new ones that there aren't any and probably won't be of any of my pubs. For some reason I absolutely can not take a good picture of any of them. Hoya pubicalyx "Royal Hawaiian Purple" is my favorite and is in constant bloom this time of year and I have tried and tried to get a decent picture of it and can't so I gave up on trying to get carnosa or pubicalyx pics!!!

That said,I have a few new ones to share today. First is H. incrassata

H. obovata. I wish I could get a picture of the entire plant for you all to see. It grows in a 24" pot (yes that's a twenty-four inch pot) There's an 8ft tall by 4ft wide trellis that it covers. It then goes up into the rafters of the gh which is 10ft high and then it sprawls out all over the place for many many feet.

H. merrillii. This is a hoya that everyone should have in their collection. the leaves are medium in size and very glossy dark green and will turn red when grown in high light

H. diversifolia ssp. El-Nidicus. This thing can become a monster in little to no time. I also found that this sub species of diversifolia seems to bloom at a much younger age than the others do . I had 2 other types of diversifolia and one took 8 years to bring into bloom,the second never did so you know what I did with it!!!!!

• emt23
    11 years ago

Thanks David, glad to be a partaker in the addiction! It is a healthy one if you are going to have one. You have much more space than I do. ~ Mary

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

GG,
    i've experienced the same problem with H. padangensis before. My first set of cuttings would now grow although they rooted quickly. I got a second set of cuttings from someone,they rooted fast and actually grew into a very nice plant. All of a sudden it went into decline for no apparent reason and i lost all of it. My third attempt which is with the current plant has been very good thus far. It's like davidcummingii ,it does well for a while then just takes a dive. My davidcummingii s growing in hydroton ( for over a year now) and is doing great.

Mary I agree that if you're going to have one ( an addiction) this is THEE one to have!!! In my case though,having all the extra room as you mentioned,can make it seem like a second job!!!! My gh is 18W X 10H X 52L. Guess what it's filled with!!!!!

• rennfl
    11 years ago

David, I agree with GG, great to see your posts of pictures. Spectacular!

I have a question about the anulata - the one I have labeled annulata leaves look absolutely nothing like yours at all. About the only thing they have in common is they are both plants.

mine is IML 1120, from a reputable source. Question is, is there really that much variety within a species in Hoyas?

Mary, beautiful flowers as well. obovata is always a treat. And btw, my absolute favorite is publicalyx. Yep it is common, but for ease of growth, ease of flowering and just absolutely gorgeous blooms, I just love it.

Renee

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

Renee,

I have to apologize. That picture of the af anulata is a bit misleading. The leaves that you see in that picture are actually not from that plant!!!! The vine which has the blooming peduncle on it was hanging in an odd position to take a picture so I lifted it up and hung it over an erriostemma plant and those are the leaves that you see. The leaves from the aff anulta do favor the other clones of H. anulata that I grow with the exception of the leaf edges turning under slightly.

david

• rennfl
    11 years ago

David, no apologies necessary :) I should have realized that, my only excuse was it was early.

Have to say I'm relieved.

Thanks, renee

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

@ David

Wow. A 24" pot. I had to read that twice to absorb it. So, about how old is this obovata?

That merrillii photo is gorgeous. I think this is one of the best Hoyas to acquire early on, for sure. It really stands out and has typical Hoya needs. What does it smell like?

Interesting note about the diversifolia ssp. El-Nidicus!

I'm really glad to hear you had a similar experience with padangensis. I'm going to keep working at it.

@ Renee

I received the 0080 at the same time as 1120, so I have been comparing these two and they really are quite different, although there is a clear family resemblance. Joni says the 0084 is easily discernible, too.

• Aggie2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi All, great pictures and blooms! While I was vacationing for 6 days in amazingly hot but dry Arizona DH was watching for blooms! So not only I had time off from the family, first time with no kids since I got them I also got hoya pictures!!!
    H. lacunosa royal Flassh

Aggie

• Aggie2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And again from the back!

• Aggie2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And tiny flowers of H. heuschkeliana yellow form.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Wow, Aggie! That second picture of the back of your lacunosa flowers is one of the most beautiful shots I've seen of this plant. I am going to put this photo somewhere I can stare at it, when I'm feeling stressed.

As Tina Fey says, "I want to go to there."

• amber_m
    11 years ago

i have to tell you all that i LOVE seeing all of your pictures of your beautiful blooms! i havent had internet for the past week so i wasnt able to check in with everyone, i love being able to come back to a bunch of new pics!!!

• emt23
    11 years ago

Aggie! Great shots, like a dust mop, the lacunosa back! Niiiice!
    @ GG that phrase always gets a chuckle from me!
    ~ Mary

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Haha. Dust mop. ^_^b

• Aggie2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks All, recently I have issues with my eyes (at the moment working on my new progressives; totally sucks can't see clearly anything)so dear husband is taking pictures!If he keeps doing such a good job, he may be designated photographer forever! :o)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Ah! I skimmed right over that part... what a sweet DH. You will have to thank him for us. :)

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Congrats on the blooms, everybody!

David!!!! I'm so happy to see you posting your beautiful pictures again!!! :-)

I have totally awesome news for you all! Fungii (Tootsie) has started to open her buds this afternoon! I will try and get a picture up tomorrow.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

Aggie,that is a KILLER photo of your H. lacunosa !!! I love it!!!!

GG, my obovata is not really as old as one would think for it to be so large. It may be between 5-6 if that. Each year I bet I cut a hundred or more feet of vine from it to share with people and you can't look at it and tell anything is missing!!!!

I have a few more photos to share with you guys/gals tonight !!! This first one is not a hoya but I think everyone will like it. It's my Edithcolea Grandis (Persian Carpet Flower) that opened up today. The flower tips have rolled back some so you can't really look at it and tell that when it first opened it was a perfect star shape.

There is MUCH confusion over the name of this hoya. I don't think anyone will ever really figure out just which hoya is odorata,which is paziae,which is cembra or which is cv. Iris Marie. I bought this as H. aff. paziae but have read elsewhere that it is actually cv. Iris Marie. WHO KNOWS!!!! Anyway here it is!!!

I bought this as H. vitellinoides from Asiatica nursey. There seems to be a lot of controversy over the name vitellinoides also as there's a number of hoyas out there with that name attached to them!!! here's one of them!!!

H. pusilla

This is an unidentified species that Jack from Epiphytica nursery in Thailand sent me a couple of years ago. It's a new bloomer for me.

Some of you may remember me posting about his hoya back in October of last year. This plant bloomed for the first time on October 28th last year (2011) on November 29th the flowers were still fully open and intact. I don't know if the cool fall weather had anything to do with them lasting as long as they did or not. This is the first time it has bloomed for the 2012 season and it's been VERY hot here so we'll see if this new set of flowers when fully open,lasts as long as the ones from last year did. It'll be interesting to see if they do. This is H. multiflora also know as SV406.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

My only one flowering at the moment is H. lacunosa, although H. pubicalyx and H. densifolia are budding up.

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Here is my contribution: H. fungii (AKA "Tootsie") blooming for her first time :-). This was the best shot I had out of the ones I took. Sorry for the blurriness.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Aggie2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

David, as always love your Hoya pictures, but this time my favorite is Edithcolea Grandis! Rain kills succulents in my yard almost every summer and this year I didn't replace any :( Now I fill like getting them again!

Aggie

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Here is a better picture of fungii with all the buds opened. Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• rennfl
    11 years ago

dmichael, more gorgeous flowers and pictures. Thank you.

Brad - congrats on your fungii

Renee

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

@ David

That is really shocking about the obovata. I've had mine for a couple years and I can't imagine it growing feet at a time. ;)

Yeah I really wish the whole paziae/cembra/odorata/Iris Marie thing would get cleared up. This is one of the confusions that annoys me most because the plant I bought as paziae is one of my favorites. I recently acquired Iris Marie, interested to see with my own eyes if it was the same as what I had, or if there would be differences. I read Mike say at one point that paziae has a red corona. This is what my paziae looks like:

Love those mustard yellow blooms on the vitellinoides. The leaves on the Epiphytica sp. are really great, too!

Keep us posted on the multiflora. I think this is a really neat story.

@ tropicbreezent

Nice photo. It looks beautiful against that background.

@ Brad

Way to go! Congratulations on finally getting your fungii gold star! :)

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Thank you, Renee and GG! The ants have taken a liking to the blossoms. Mom, dad and I all like the fragrance, and reminds me of when my Red Buttons bloomed. They smell good! :)

I agree about the obovata, mine is such a slow growing plant, but it's nice. I've had it about as long as you, GG. It's one that I can't wait to get to smell the blooms. I've heard it has a fragrance of Froot Loops! lol

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

nice pics of the H. fungii Brad. I've gotta look and see if mine even has any buds on it yet!!!!

GG, you and I probably won't live long enough to see some of this name stuff get straightened out with hoyas!!!! By the way I did check the H. merrillii for a scent and either it doesn't have one or I am catching it at the wrong time.

I have buds on what will be two first time bloomers and am just waiting for them to open. My hypolasia has buds and flagellata had them but I saw this morning that they have fallen off. So hopefully new ones will from and make it to maturity as I can't wait to see either of these hoyas in bloom!

Here's a shot taken today of the multiflora sv406 fully open. They all popped open the day after I took the first photo and i'm just getting around to getting this one so it'll be very interesting to see if these stay open as long as the ones from last fall did.

This is a hoya that I acquired from a Swedish grower a few years ago labeled only as H.sp. Bulusan. I love it's foliage and the flowers are quite pretty as well. They are very muck like hoya acuta flowers and this plant is probably related to that species somewhere down the line. If yo look closely at the photo you'll notice some tiny orange spots. They are orange aphids and I have MAJOR problem with them this time off year trying to keep them off my plants. I'm not using any chemicals and it's a job staying on top of these little menaces. I usually just put on a laytex glove and mash their little orange butts to death!!!!!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Beautiful photos everyone. I admit to being very lazy when it comes to photographing my plants lately but I am sure glad that everyone else is posting their photos.

Aggie those photos of your Hoya lacunosa are very nice. I always seem to struggle to photograph Hoya lacunosa. Your photos are well composed and perfectly focused.

David you posted so many nice species. I think my favourite is Hoya padangensis because I am impatiently waiting for my plant to put on some substantial growth. The blooms are just so different from other Hoyas and the leaves are really quite attractive as well.
    That unidentified species from Jack is pretty cool. I tried to get that one but it was unavailable at the time, really neat leaf shape on that one. It looks like it should be wonderfully fragrant, what do you notice?
    I love the Edithcolea grandis bloom! I grew a bunch of these from seed years ago but never got any to flower. I let my last plant get too dehydrated this past winter and it rotted when I started to water more come spring.

Brad congratulations on the Hoya fungii blooms!

Mike

• amber_m
    11 years ago

ok so i cant believe that im about to post a pic on here! i recieved a cutting of H. Javanica from a friend and it has bloomed! it had buds on it when it arrived to me but 75% of them fell off, now i have one thats actually opened and another one thats started to open...

{{gwi:970039}}

Source: Uploaded by user via Amber on Pinterest

{{gwi:970041}}

{{gwi:970042}}

{{gwi:970044}}

i was sooo happy to wake up this morning and fine this bloom!!!

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Luck you! Mine still aborting after a year trying to bloom!

• Aggie2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Amber, congrats on javanica blooms! This is one of these Hoyas I can't justify getting by mail order,and nobody has it here locally! ;) Hope one day I will see one from EA, or will give up and pay 10 buck shipping for Joni's spotted one!

Aggie

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments Greedyghost. It can be a bit intimidating to post on here when there are so many fantastic photos of so many amazing plants. My camera isn't a match for what most here seem to have. But here's my next contender, one that I've waited a couple of years for. It should be H. macgillivrayi. I say "should be" because I've a lot of Hoyas under a tree and they've grown up into it and a lot have intertwined. But following back along the vine to the leaves, they look very much like the mac. The camera wouldn't focus on the buds so had to put up a bit of backing.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Hah. I keep neglecting to take my camera in for repair, but even functional it's nothing special. For now I just snap with my phone so I'm sure I have more cause to blush than you!

But I think mostly people just like to get a peek into each others' plants lives, whether it's blurry/sharp, expert/amateur, artistic/pragmatic.

Well, I can't wait to see your macgillivrayi suspect buds open! I'd love to see a picture of your tree with all the Hoyas climbing up into it, too. This is one sight that always gives me the envies. You aren't the australian TB, are you?

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

So a little over a year ago 2 new hoyas ( pubicalyx "Black Dragon" and "White Dragon") hit the market and had everyone going nuts to get them. They were on EVERYBODY'S wish list including mine. I can recall how anxious I was to get them and couldn't wait for them to arrive once they finally hit the mainland as they were coming in from the Philippines. I've been waiting patiently all this time to see them bloom and finally both have buds. The "Black Dragon" has opened and I have to admit that I am just a wee bit disappointed. I've been growing hoyas long enough now to know that growing conditions can cause variations in the color of the flowers but in my opinion this one just didn't live up to it's name as I see nothing black in this flower at all and it's not even remotely close to being the color of the flowers that i've seen in any picture of "Black Dragon" yet. Maybe i'll move it to a new location and see if that'll change the color at all but right now all I see is just another muddy red flower. After actually seeing it bloom in person I have to say that it hasn't left me feeling really that impressed!!!! Don't get me wrong I love the pubicalyx hoyas but has anyone seen one yet that is NOT this color????? This is one of those cases (with the pub's) where you could easily say "if you've seen one,you've seen em' all"!!!! Maybe when the white one blooms it'll leave me with a difference of opinion !!!

H. kanyakumariana. This is one of my favorite little hoyas!!!

This is a hoya that I acquired a few years ago from a Swedish grower. It's H. macgregorii and it makes the neatest, compact, perfect little balls of flowers of any hoya that i've seen. They smell good too!!!!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

GG, I tried to use the same ID here when registering that I use on most other sites. Unfortunately Tropicbreeze was taken, so I added NT, the Northern Territory where I live. But I find that Tropicbreezent does look cumbersome.

While checking out my mac buds I looked back along the vine and suddenly saw another peduncle with flowers about to open. Don't know how I missed it before. These look like they might open tomorrow. They are huge, considering my last lot of flowers were on H. lacunosa, LOL. The individual buds are over 20mm wide. Probably closer to 25mm. Getting close to get a photo was a bit tricky. Was worried I might break some of the vines with the ladder. And then the camera kept focussing on everything except the buds. Hopefully the flowers will open tomorrow for a special photo shoot. The second peduncle probably won't open for at least a week.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

A casual look at the tree with the Hoyas doesn't look like much. The tree leaves (Ficus, probably benjamina) don't look much different to Hoya leaves at a distance. Only the Hoya 'Gold Star' drops runners to the ground with more yellow leaves and so it more visible. My H. pubicalyx is on a dead tree so stands out more, apart from having to compete with a few other plants.

• Aggie2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tropicbreeze, these are HUGE! Please post pictures when they open!
    There is a picture of H. cumingiana, same bloom as in first post in this thread after it fully opened

• Aggie2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And another July bloomer, H. obovata. I'm so happy to be a Floridian :), newer thought I can have flowering hoyas in a year! Got this one from Gardinos with 6 leaves, now there is 4 feet of it, (half with penducles and no foliage) and blooming!

Aggie

• Klea
    11 years ago

There's so many beautiful pictures in this thread that I don't know how to properly praise them all! All of your hoya flowers are gorgeous!!

Aggie: Your cumingiana looks so yellow! Mine is more on the greenish side at first and don't turn yellow until they're old and starting to fall off. They look a bit more yellow on the photos I'm about to post than in real life, maybe that's the case with yours too - or is it really that yellow?

First photo is of 3 different stages of flower development on the same vine. Second is of the flowers back side (I think it's kinda cool how they curl back). And third photo is of a umbel with nectar. I tasted the nectar, btw, and it tasted really nice and sweet. I didn't know if I dared to taste the nectar on this one, since it smells kind of rotten and mouldy. LOL :)

• Aggie2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Klea, mine were yellow, definitely with greenish edges but yellow! It is a tiny plant and had only one penducle on the longest vine, grown outside in the direct Florida sun until noon. Knowing Hoyas growth conditions can make a difference.:o)

Aggie

• Klea
    11 years ago

Aggie: Maybe mine would be as yellow as yours if it got more sun. It's got a nice bright spot in a west facing window, but with all the rain this summer it has barely gotten any direct sunlight at all. The sun has decided to come for a short visit today though, and I hope it will come back in the days to come! :) *fingers crossed*

• chungsue
    11 years ago

I love the posted photos. They are BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Here is my diptera. It's been blooming since July.

• amber_m
    11 years ago

oh my! those diptera blooms are beautiful! my favorite thing about diptera is the beautiful green its leaves are, so its so neat seeing the blooms are also a fantastic green!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions