Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovingmy4babies

Name Your Best Grower

lovingmy4babies
12 years ago

If you guys are anything like me, you have times when some Hoyas are growing and others are not, or some are slow and some are fast growers, etc. Tell me your best grower at the moment, and your OVERALL best grower.

Right now, my best grower is pubicalyx 'Silver Pink'- she's putting out new vines and leaves ALL OVER! My overall best grower, I think, is my diversifolia, though.

Comments (17)

• cyclonenat
    12 years ago

Hi everyone my best grower last summer was polyneura it doubled in size as it was a small cutting and the pubicaly x's
    just lost hoya keysii grrrr it got slightly frosted at the start of winter and has gone down hill since the others didnt get affected though?
    sorry for changeing the subject lol

• Denise
    12 years ago

K&C,

'Pink Silver' has probably been my most aggressive grower over the years, too. I have one HUGE one that has vines running up and down th length of my GH (16' in length) and a "small" one (big by all other standards) in my dining room. Bhutanica is one that grows like crazy, and so does australis ssp. tenuipes. Those are probably the 3 that I have the most challenge keeping in check. Other pubicalyx cultivars also keeping my mini-machete close at hand. Who doesn't love a plant that gives you that "jungle" feel?

Denise in Omaha

• gennykins
    12 years ago

I have a few that I would categorize as my best growers but this is primarily because they grow in the darkness of winter and they do it without a reduction in leaf size:

- vitellinoides
    - pubicalyx - purchased as RHP but might be Pink Silver
    - fitchii
    - carnosa and Chelsea
    - obovata 'Silver Splash'

My most rampant in the heat and humidity of summer are:

- merrillee
    - cardiophylla
    - pubicalyx
    - vitellinoides
    - carnosa and Chelsea

Lisa

• rennfl
    12 years ago

As long as we are counting just growing, not blooming, mine is sp. Tanna Island. Silly thing grows better than weeds.

Renee

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I have 2 that has grown like crazy. Pubicalyx RHP bought 3 years ago as a 4" pot and now its in a 12" pot, Imperialis, received as a 3 leaf cutting and now in a 10" azalea pot.

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

My best growers are Imperialis var Rauchii, Polystachya 1410, tanna island, and subcalva for now. Most that are outside are growing very well. I just hope they don't all die back their vines when I bring them inside for the winter. I wish I had a grow room for my hoyas like the pot growers have or a heated greenhouse attached to the house.

Michelle

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Hands down, sp. Tanna Island. I've already posted about this guy before, so I'm pretty sure everyone knows already :) I've also mentioned buotii a lot. So I'll mention the runners up, that maybe I don't mention too often. Pink Silver is in my completely unshaded west window and is like Medusa. It bleaches out a bit there, but it looks like it is going to reach out and grab you unless I clip some of the vines to itself in an effort not to freak the roommates out. Speckled carnosa is doing really well this year, also in the west window. Wayetti is always a nice steady grower that I've reined in a little temporarily by overpotting it. This year, brevialata is finally taking off, as is DS_70. I've got some good growth going for many of my hoyas this summer, but those are the ones growing best.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Pink Silver and my plain old green carnosa have been my fastest growers. Pubicalyx Black Dragon is really taking off. Fungii is another quick grower too. All of my plants are really doing well. I just wish they would bloom lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Overall, it would be a tie between chlorantha and paziae. In summer, paziae grows faster, and in winter chlorantha.

But atm the shining stars are:

- The Eriostemmas
    - publicalyx Black Dragon (is putting the other publicalyxes to shame, including Pink Silver!)
    - curtisii
    - heuschkelianas (esp 'pink form')
    - densifolia (went from a tiny one node cutting after some difficulties rooting, and now triples in size every time I go to water it)
    - blaeshernaezii
    - engleriana
    - mitrata (has been growing much like variegated mac, where it ALWAYS has 2-3 new leaves, and I have to stay on top of it with keeping the conditions perfect, so I don't lose them)
    - patella (is weirdly fast as long as it is kept in an aquarium)

Oh yeah and square leaf is kicking *ss and taking names, man!

And there are all the weirdos that are sending out long vines all over the place, but I tell them it doesn't count until there are LEAVES.

• tammypie
    12 years ago

My MIL's hoya (carnosa I think) that I picked from her garden one day a few years back. It's growing in a pot next to a tool shed with a north facing exposure sitting under a plum tree. I ignore it thus it grows and blooms. Must be my best grower.

Foliage-wise, my eirostemmas grew the best when I had them. I love the 'stemmas foilage.

TPie

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Here Pubicalyx is the champion!!!

It seems it is the same for everyone!

Mitzi

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Mitzi, years ago, I purchased a hoya with speckled leaves from Hawthorne Nursery (the nursery I previously mentioned to you). I'm pretty sure it was a Pubicalyx. It grew into a large plant and bloomed like crazy.

TPie.

• mel_10
    12 years ago

I would say I have a three way tie for best grower. Speckled-leaf carnosa, KQ, and fungii are all putting out long vines and filling them in with leaves very quickly. Carnosa and KQ are also filling up with baby peduncles! My pubicalyx "Pink Silver" is not growing as fast as everyone elses.....perhaps I need to have a talk with it...

Mel

• klyde
    12 years ago

Well I don't have many hoyas, but the best by a landslide is Hoya bella. I just never have a problem (knock on wood) and it blooms for about 10 months of the year. Right now it has...let me go count...well I stopped at 90 umbels. This is it's heavy bloom time though.

A generous lass from yonder hills sent me a wee piece of retusa, which has suddenly quadrupled in size. Still small, but growing very well. So relatively speaking, retusa is in a close second.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

My best grower would have to be any of the pubycalyx that I have. After almost freezing, they are starting to come back vigorously, sending out long vines. I can't wait for blooms.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

So pubicalyx is definitely a big grower!

Tpie, do you still having your pubicalyx?

Mitzi

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Klyde, I once had a hoya bella, a beautiful plant. The blooms are breathtaking.

Then eventually aphids got to her. Then the leaves got this stick residue I think came from the bugs. Then I put it outside. Was told it liked lots of water unlike other hoyas. But she died thereafter.

Sponsored