Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greentoe talked me into it!!!

Posted by teisa 6 (teisaclark@gmail.com) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 21:47

I found this Curtsii while I was in Florida a few weeks ago. I had planned on never growing this Hoya because I couldn't get it to bloom. But I decided to give it another try! It was a nice full basket atleast....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greentoe talked me into it!!!

lol!!

Good job, GT.

Good job, Teisa.

I personally think curtisii is one of the more ornamental Hoyas and we're lucky to have it. :)

o

I agree, GG. If it never blooms but continues to do well for me, I will be a happy camper. This is my 3rd (or is it 4th?) try at it and it's done well for a year or so. I think it's sweet, like a calico cat.

Denise in Omaha

o

I will not stand idly by as baseless accusations that I had anything to do with it are hurled at... Oh who am I kidding! You are welcome! ;-)

o

I saw a curtisii for sale at my local Wal-Mart last month. It was a good size, too, but it's one I don't think I'll ever grow, because fussy plants and I don't get along lol. Great find, teisa! And hey, what's the use of growing Hoyas if we all can't encourage each other to try a new one?

Greentoe, lol I would say the same thing you said if I gave a friend a plant or got them into gardening (and I'm guilty of both of those).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

H. curtisii is one of the best of the hoyas...it's not really fussy, but likes to be watered heavily and then allowed to dry out. I have two of this hoya...both are EA plants..and both are in EA soil...and have been for 6+ years. I did get peduncles a few times, but no blooms, unless they're so small that I missed them...which I doubt. I have one of mine outdoors this summer...it's doing very well with an hour or so of sunlight...I'm hoping for blooms again. Of my over 500 hoyas, this is one of the top 10 for sure...it's always so neat and tidy..and the leaves are beautiful. C'mon, give it a fair try!! Go for it, Brad!! Fondly, Patrick

o

> over 500 hoyas

wow. Over 500 plants or over 500 varieties? I have 129 varieties, dischidias included - I'll try to work harder on this thing...

I also find curtisii a very undemanding plant, Brad, when it comes to growing it, NOT when it comes to blooming it though.

o

Hmm, maybe I'll have to pick one up the next time I see one. I think another reason I've avoided it is because I am drawn to Hoyas that flower easily, or are old favorites. I just might have to put it on the list of ones to try. That is, once I have the financial sources to.

Still on the hunt for a few old favorites for myself and a friend (GG, I've sent you and Denise e-mails).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I've seen this hoya a lot lately in Wal-Mart but although it is really cute, I have had no luck with it.

o

I had great luck with it but has slowed down. Think it needs repotting. Good Luck

o

Jimminies, Gardensnail...that's incredible!! Any secrets you care to share with us? I love it!! Fondly, Patrick

o

Hi Patrick, Nothing special, just VF-11 with ever watering. West window but there is a porch and big tree blocking some of the harsh sun. Very pot bound. This is an old picture, huge now! I love the leaves :)

o

WOW hope mine gets loaded with buds, like that one! I didn't think the flowers would be so big compared to the leaves. I have had mine for maybe 5 weeks....as with others, mine is a EA one.

o

Yes, indeed Hoya curtisii does bloom. After four years of trying, here is the result:

o

Yay congrats Doug! So, what do you think convinced it to bloom?

o

Lots and Lots of sun! I put up a series of shepherd's crooks around the yard, and when ever I was home I would move the plant from crook to crook chasing the sun. I also sprayed the foliage with the hose when I had it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here