Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teisa_gw

Greentoe talked me into it!!!

teisa
9 years ago

I found this Curtsii while I was in Florida a few weeks ago. I had planned on never growing this Hoya because I couldn't get it to bloom. But I decided to give it another try! It was a nice full basket atleast....

Comments (15)

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

lol!!

Good job, GT.

Good job, Teisa.

I personally think curtisii is one of the more ornamental Hoyas and we're lucky to have it. :)

• Denise
    9 years ago

I agree, GG. If it never blooms but continues to do well for me, I will be a happy camper. This is my 3rd (or is it 4th?) try at it and it's done well for a year or so. I think it's sweet, like a calico cat.

Denise in Omaha

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

I will not stand idly by as baseless accusations that I had anything to do with it are hurled at... Oh who am I kidding! You are welcome! ;-)

• moonwolf_gw
    9 years ago

I saw a curtisii for sale at my local Wal-Mart last month. It was a good size, too, but it's one I don't think I'll ever grow, because fussy plants and I don't get along lol. Great find, teisa! And hey, what's the use of growing Hoyas if we all can't encourage each other to try a new one?

Greentoe, lol I would say the same thing you said if I gave a friend a plant or got them into gardening (and I'm guilty of both of those).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

> over 500 hoyas

wow. Over 500 plants or over 500 varieties? I have 129 varieties, dischidias included - I'll try to work harder on this thing...

I also find curtisii a very undemanding plant, Brad, when it comes to growing it, NOT when it comes to blooming it though.

• moonwolf_gw
    9 years ago

Hmm, maybe I'll have to pick one up the next time I see one. I think another reason I've avoided it is because I am drawn to Hoyas that flower easily, or are old favorites. I just might have to put it on the list of ones to try. That is, once I have the financial sources to.

Still on the hunt for a few old favorites for myself and a friend (GG, I've sent you and Denise e-mails).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• susancarol
    9 years ago

I've seen this hoya a lot lately in Wal-Mart but although it is really cute, I have had no luck with it.

• gardensnail22
    9 years ago

I had great luck with it but has slowed down. Think it needs repotting. Good Luck

• patrick51
    9 years ago

Jimminies, Gardensnail...that's incredible!! Any secrets you care to share with us? I love it!! Fondly, Patrick

• gardensnail22
    9 years ago

Hi Patrick, Nothing special, just VF-11 with ever watering. West window but there is a porch and big tree blocking some of the harsh sun. Very pot bound. This is an old picture, huge now! I love the leaves :)

• Jason J
    9 years ago

WOW hope mine gets loaded with buds, like that one! I didn't think the flowers would be so big compared to the leaves. I have had mine for maybe 5 weeks....as with others, mine is a EA one.

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Yes, indeed Hoya curtisii does bloom. After four years of trying, here is the result:

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Yay congrats Doug! So, what do you think convinced it to bloom?

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Lots and Lots of sun! I put up a series of shepherd's crooks around the yard, and when ever I was home I would move the plant from crook to crook chasing the sun. I also sprayed the foliage with the hose when I had it out.