Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Head in the sand?

Posted by luvidaho_2010 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 21:51

I received a cutting of H. cv Sunrise as a bonus when I purchased a plant. This was the first cutting I attempted to root that I did not take from my own plant. I was a bit concerned that I might try to root the wrong end of the cutting. I thought the cutting might have been taken from a vine that was hanging, so the leaves looked wrong since they seemed to be facing down instead of up. After much research and reading of posts here I bit the bullet and stuck it in a pot.
Now, 3 months later the old leaves have a twist at the base but the small new growth seems to be pointed in the right direction. So my question is, do I have this cutting upside down? Or, are the leaves re-orienting themselves so they are facing up?
H. cv Sunrise
H. cv Sunrise
H. cv Sunrise
If it is upside down, do I leave it as is?
Thanks. Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Head in the sand?

Tami...the cutting is just fine the way it is...many people will root both ends of their cuttings, bending the vine into an arch, and rooting both ends. It looks very good to me, so I wouldn't do a thing. Fondly, Patrick

o

I agree with Patrick. Because most Hoyas will form roots along their vines you can root them anyway you want. Your cutting is showing new growth so it must be doing just fine.

Mike

o

Thanks for the responses Patrick and Mike! I figured it was OK since the new growth looked normal. I am relieved to know that it doesn't matter which end I put in the pot. I might have to try rooting both ends of a cutting sometime to see what it does.
Tami

o

You'll find that Hoyas shoot from within the leaf axils. Looking at your 3rd photo the shoot is coming from above the petiole indicating the stem is the right way around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here